Quantcast

MTB-BMX version three

dromond

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Northampton, MA
Going the other direction!

It's pretty much just how I want it now. I love this bike.

-frame: S&M Holmes (21)
-fork: ody race
-bars: Snafu, 7.25
-seat: primo balance
-sprocket: macneil guard 36
-pedals: ody twisted
-cranks: profile race
-stem: dk trail (a surprisingly nice stem)
-back wheel: ody cassete, Hazard Lite chrome, DT Swiss spokes, 4-cross
-front wheel: ody vandero w/ ryno lite. 36 spoke, laced 2 cross (2 cross is wierd, don't lace things 2 cross.)
-pegs: Jpeg lite
-grips: odi rogue lock-on (no flanges, I hate grip flanges. Who knows why.)
-brake: old Avid 10 V-brake with worn down salmon pads, some cheapie Tektro lever, ody linear cable and a bunch of White Lighting. SO GOOD
-tires, Dirt Path front, Primo Comet rear.

mods: trimmed and lengthened frame dropouts (chainstays at 14.5" now.) Cut axles and steertube. Cut off original brake mounts and cable guide. Welded on V-brake mounts. Repainted frame (was black.)

Even with a cheap lever, cheap caliper, and old pads, my brakes are incredible. As strong as I would ever want them. Certainly worth the hassle of re-welding the brake mounts.

phlegm

Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
Whistler/Vancouver
Uh, can i have your bike? I would give anything for a street frame with v-brake mounts. one of the things keeping me away from bmx is the **** brakes.

dromond

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Northampton, MA
Gary H said:
You ever catch the v arm's while coming out fakie?? Nice ride BTW.
Before I adjusted the arms inward I did once or twice. But these days I safety pin my right pantleg to keep it out of the chain/sprocket anyways.

dromond

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Northampton, MA
phlegm said:
Uh, can i have your bike? I would give anything for a street frame with v-brake mounts. one of the things keeping me away from bmx is the **** brakes.
A) get a burly race frame with V-brake mounts
B) get a frame from a smaller company that will put the mounts on it
C) get some V mounts and have them welded on

It's not that hard, and very worth it.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
Is this becoming a trend or are you just a rebel? I think it's a stellar idea. The brakes on my metal kizz absolutely suck. I considered just taking them off but I'm not to that level yet. Actually, I've only ridden it a couple times - maybe because the brakes suck...

budgetrider

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
My cheap $55 Hyper BMX that I bought from some chain type sporting goods store has V- brakes on the back. It has a side pull on the front that is basically useless.

Spec: everything's no name except the gyro and cables which are called fishbone
and Honva 2.125 tires.

Came with pegs a kickstand and a chain guard (all promptly garbaged)

Review after 1 week: both rims untrue, rear hub loose but frame's still in one piece

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Anders said:
i liked the magura in the rear better. btw, get ur ass to attitash! :oink: :oink:
Like this (my bitch):

Edit: Since I took that photo, I've remounted it and it's better centered on the rim and the brake booster is up tighter on the tyre, using the second set of holes.