Quantcast

mtb camping

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I wanna bike deeper into the backcountry than people can walk and camp. The only condition is the "campsite" needs to be near water cuz I'm not packing in that much.

Know of any such campsites that can be accessed by bike that's too far for most people to walk and cannot be accessed by 4WD?

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
There's not a place in colorado thats further away than 5 miles. All can be walked to. I think there's only one place in the US that has a "no road" within 20 miles, and that's in Yellowstone. The 10 Mile stat is in Maine. It goes down from there.

Just head into the hills, and turn off the trail. have fun.

This place is waaaay to populated :mumble:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Ascentrek said:
There's not a place in colorado thats further away than 5 miles. All can be walked to. I think there's only one place in the US that has a "no road" within 20 miles, and that's in Yellowstone. The 10 Mile stat is in Maine. It goes down from there.

Thanks for the feedback. I had no idea that the US was so built up as a whole. I guess I'll just go exploring and see what I can find :)

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Ascentrek said:

Um...I'm going to have to call BS on that one.

I've flown over the US a bunch of times and there are TONS of places where there are no roads in site.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
-BB- said:

I've flown over the US a bunch of times and there are TONS of places where there are no roads in site.
Ascentrek is right - they don't just count paved roads. They count dirt roads, jeep roads, etc. The stat is fairly misleading, though, because even in CO there are VERY remote places, even 5 miles from a "road" - places you are *very* unlikely to see a single person......

The Western U.S. is still very sparsely populated, from a national perspective. Unless you go to the places that everyone else goes.

-S.S.-

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
-BB- said:

You are right, it does appear that there isn't much out there.

Remember though, if you are 20 miles from any road, that means that at the bare minimum, there's 40 miles separating two roads. The study was done about 2 years ago by NOAA I think. Could have been Delorme, I can't remember. I called BS on it as well, and to my surprise, I had difficulty finding the same thing on mapping sites that had jeep roads included.

There is a lot from the air you 'can't' see.

Remember, the stat was '20 miles from any road', not from a populated city.

flatulant_man

Monkey
Jun 19, 2004
Food Fondlers' Convention
yeah, there's not much anywhere in colorado. riding completely off a trail would be quite an adventure, and is prob. illegal in lots of places. the best place to find a trail that winds through the woods, not near any woods, is probably in canada, like, saskatuan (spelling?) or some place. i might be wrong, but that's just as far as i know

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
flatulant_man said:
yeah, there's not much anywhere in colorado. riding completely off a trail would be quite an adventure, and is prob. illegal in lots of places. the best place to find a trail that winds through the woods, not near any woods, is probably in canada, like, saskatuan (spelling?) or some place. i might be wrong, but that's just as far as i know
Yep - you're incorrect. Thing is, there are probably *thousands* of miles of trail that don't even show up on topo maps. Those are the ones that will get you "away from it" the quickest. And they take time, determination, and luck to find........ wish I had more time to find some of 'em.

-S.S.-