Quantcast

mtb dj/street wheelset/brakset q's

Grimey

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
cali
I'm going to have to build up a wheelset for dj/street riding on a 26"er gear with chain tensioner. Front hub I was thinking Marzocchi 20mm, rear I was looking at a Shimano XT bolt on. Spokes would most likely be 36 14/15's. I have no idea on rims tho. I dont' want a tankass wheelset. I currently have a set of Arrow DHX wheels, as nice and reliable(read bulletproff), I would like something lighter.

Which brings us to brakes. I'm thinking Avid Freeride levers, with a mechanical disc up front - what rotor size?. And a rear Shimano XT.

What do you guys think?

RITFreeRider

Monkey
Sep 10, 2003
In a Boulderado state of mind
If you have the money to run the rear disc do it. As for rims, there are so many choices. Any where from Rhyno Lites to Aircorps. I run rhyno lites on my hardtail right now, and haven't really had any problems, they come out of tru more but they do save weight. My next wheelset is going to be Mavic 521s or Atom lab Aircorps, either one will be pretty strong without the weight of like a trailpimp, mag30 or 321. So I would say go for the aircorps or 521s they both are plenty strong while still trying to keep the weight reasonalbe. Hope this helps.

Grimey

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
cali
Well, its not about the money for disc, actually I have a few spare sets. I have bent too many rotors riding street to want to use them. I'm thinking some XT-V's and a smaller rotor disc up front would be the ticket.

Yeah whatever the new macic 521 is will probably be my choice, maybe the f219 disc for the front. I have had bad luck with Atom Lab rims.

Earthmover

Chimp
Feb 25, 2002
Terra Forma
Originally posted by Grimey
They are soft and dent/flat spot easily. I also have heard of cracking around the welds.
Yup yup, both mine (front and back) are dented/flat spotted, and the rear's cracked a bit at the weld. Pretty expensive for a heavy, weak rim. I think I'll be looking at your Arrows next...

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
I ran one xtr v-brake on my bike, and I loved it, I rode dh hill trails, street, some trials, and dj's with it, and had no problems! unfortunately I dented my rim, and my v-brakes didn't work so smooth after that, I barrowed a disc brake off my friend, it works good, but I hate not having the clearence for street riding, and boosting over logs out in the woods! Anyone know of a good rim that won't dent? I used a Halo Combat, and it dented the first time I cased at the trails! I want something light, and STRONG, ............ and no black sidewalls, is there anything out there that fits this discription?

dromond

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Northampton, MA
scurban said:
I ran one xtr v-brake on my bike, and I loved it, I rode dh hill trails, street, some trials, and dj's with it, and had no problems! unfortunately I dented my rim, and my v-brakes didn't work so smooth after that, I barrowed a disc brake off my friend, it works good, but I hate not having the clearence for street riding, and boosting over logs out in the woods! Anyone know of a good rim that won't dent? I used a Halo Combat, and it dented the first time I cased at the trails! I want something light, and STRONG, ............ and no black sidewalls, is there anything out there that fits this discription?
You would be looking for the Mavic D521

sama1ter

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
The OC
i have 321's on xt rear, hope front, and they are bullet proof...ive cased on alot of stuff, real hard, and they are still as true as the day i bought them.

where can i get the bolt on set for the xt rear?