Quantcast

MTB for CX???

andres611

Chimp
Jun 28, 2007
I want to try some CX races this season. I am a mountain biker, and don't want to spend money right now getting a new bike. Most of them allow MTB. I ride a Specialized Epic that is very quick, what do you guys think? I think my advantage would be in cornering and descents, but on the other hand I'll be slower on the concrete and hard packed, and also a heavier bike to pick up.

I might be able to gain a bit of speed on the concrete by switching tires. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
You will be fine on a mountain bike. Quite a few people use them to try out cross without purchasing a bike. No barends though!

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
As said, lots do this to start out, but normally on hardtails. Throw on some 1.5 tires or similar to drop some weight, depending on what your starting with. Take off your bottle cage too.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Around here its a disadvantage but there is no point in buying a bike for a sport you've never tried. Get the skinniest tires you can and stiffen the suspension (BTW, water bottles are a sin :))

andres611

Chimp
Jun 28, 2007
The Epic I would ride has the brain shock so it pretty much pedals like a hardtail, and for what I've seen on videos I probably won't need my front suspension so I can lock that one up.

I was looking for some skinny tires but haven't been able to find much. I was thinking of a tire with a center rib so it doesn't slow me down to much on the pavement.

IRE, what would the disadvantages be on the races here in the PNW?

Are disc brakes allowed?

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
IRE, what would the disadvantages be on the races here in the PNW?
They design the courses to be favorable to cross bikes. There will be a lot of sharp turns, deep mud sections, at least two running sections and pavement tossed in. You'll want a semislick tire to keep the resistance down. There was one race last year where it was an advantage to be on a mountain bike...the course was bone dry and really rough...my friend rode his Epic and did well and all of us on cross bikes had sore hands and backs