Quantcast

MTB for DJ and Urban Skatepark

odiwik

Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
I am looking for a 24" specific MTB for DJ and Urban; I would like to install a gyro and have one set of pegs. Post some thoughts and ideas.

I am 6'5" and 200 lbs, so I am looking for a BMXTB sort of thing for me. I'm not 100% partial on the 24" specific, 26" in the front or both are a possiblity, but not preferred.

It can be a custom frame, if need be.

I have found:
BMW Hardtail

VDfree

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
germantown
SINISTER DNA. I set mine up with Atom Lab Wheels (24 rear and 26 front) with a hookworm on the back and holu roller on the front. It handles so much like a big BMX. It also has peg mounts on the frame just above the rear drop outs.

swerve76

Monkey
Aug 30, 2003
nevada
Tonic fab fall guy
Uninon street bikes molly
DOC or Soveriegn are harder to mount pegs to the rear. You cant flush mount the peg to the dropout. I guess you could machine the peg to fit.

DH-DZ

Chimp
Jun 4, 2004
western Maine
foget about the gyro and just make your brake like ling enough that you can get the bars around

its not like your going to want to be doing quadruple barspins on a mtb..... i hope.

disasterarea

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Flicking through October's issue of MBUK, I see Identiti has come out with the S24 dropout adaptor for their 24/26" compatible bikes to convert from 26" to 24" use. Frames mentioned were the Dr Jerkyll and the 666.

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
haha you guys all forgot he is 6'5"!!!
most companies large size DJ frame is still gonna be short for him...that is if they make a large....
especially the p-series and the blackmarket stuff is short
the large cowan might work but its hard to say
you still need to get out there and try frames as much as possible

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
good point allsk8sno. I'm 6'4" and had a bitch of a time finding a bike i liked that fit me. In 2004 kona still sold the Roast bike and they had a big ass version that i bought and still ride. Its pretty big. My next frame though is definitly going to be a simple bike co. The dude is a friend of mine and is going to measure my bike size before he builds the bike.

to reiderate what pete said, i would definitly ride as many different bikes as possible before making a final decision

VDfree

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
germantown
the large dna is still going to feel good for his size. look at Josh harington, a 6' something bmxer. As for the brakes, route the front through the stem and throw a NOKON cable on the back. with the nokon you can spin the bars and not have to worry about the housing compressing and causing the brake to engage.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
I happend to run into Kyle E-bot at my local skatepark once, and he's tall! (i'm 6'2" so I know these things) So a DNA would probably fit you fine, provided you want to pay that much for a hardtail frame. anybody ever taken a look at The master mind behind black market bikes? they are designed by a guy thats like 5'2", and designed by him for him. I've never actually ridden a blk mkt bike, but I imagine if you are 6'4" it'd be on the small side for you.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
The Large and X-Large Cowans are HUGE! I'm 6'0 even 190lbs. and the XL Cowan felt like XC geometry to me. Give those a look, there is definitely a size there that will fit right.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
Cash-Money said:
i think the XL cowan has a 17.5" seattube, and a 24" toptube, rediculously huge
Yeah, the XL Cowan is stupid huge. One just passed through the local shop in Greensboro and the thing is simply MASSIVE.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
Changleen said:
Even if you're super tall you don't need a huge bike for DJ and Urban.
I was thinking the same thing. If anything, you'll want a smaller bike for urban riding. My urban/DJ rig is pretty small on me, and it works perfectly.

odiwik

Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Are you two 6'5"? Smaller for you might be a small... A medium feels like a novelty bike to me.