Quantcast

MTB Frame - your input wanted

mtbzone.com

Chimp
Jul 10, 2003
Bend, Oregon
So, let’s pretend I work for a bike company….this bike company is going to build a couple of mountain bikes for the 2005 season.

_

Bike #1 is going to be for the street thrasher/skate park/dirt jumper rider._ It'll have a full cromoly frame with horizontal dropouts and adjustable rear disc caliper mounts, peg mounts on fork, and be 1 speed (rear hub is 9speed with spacers)._

_

Bike #2 has an aluminum-tubed all-around frame with vertical dropouts with double front rings and bash guard (adaptable to a triple front) and a 9 speed rear cog…similar to a Santa Cruz Chameleon.

_

Please list up to 3 options/ideas/features for each model that are the most important to you. Any input is appreciated…..from the most general to the most specific ideas.

_

Thanks in advance!!

_

Mike
mtbzone.com

Assuming its a street bike:
1.durible/strong
2. good blanced geometry (im no expert on what geometry should be, but a good blance between easy to pick up and steer, and and stablity, in otherwords not to twichy, but not so stable it feels dead.
3. Light, i know i sound like a weight wennie pussy when i say this about a street bike, but it just makes the bike easyer to ride

oh also, i dont know where this fits in, but the ability to run SS or full gears.

RITFreeRider

Monkey
Sep 10, 2003
In a Boulderado state of mind
Street bike wise:

1- strong enough to take whatever is thrown at it, with a 1.5" headset

2- geometry setup for a 4-6" fork, shorter chainstays

3- not weight 7 lbs like some hardtails do that fit this build something that will build up to under 35lb

basically the samething that was said before. Oh and not and overly long headtube.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I'm with RITFreerider on this one - put 1.5 headtubes on there and keep the headtubes reasonable in size... The Yeti AS-X has probably the perfect 1.5 headtube for example.

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
Bike 1.
Proper single speed hub. I am am perminatly running single speed I want the advantage of less dish. If it's going to have pegs on a large diameter axel would be nice. Good range of chainstay length adjustment.

Bike 2.
Sort out the short chainstay/large tyre chainline problem. Don't clear coat the stickers so I have to strip and repaint the frame to remove them.

freerider215

Chimp
Jul 27, 2003
Dont be;
1) Trek
2) Mongoose
3) Diamond Back

1) Who cares about the street bike? (What's next a flatland mountain bike?)
2) If it doesn't weigh less than 4.5lbs and have a lifetime warranty, forget it, I'll just buy a Snipes.
3) Logo should be in Old English, with a skull maybe.

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
Originally posted by freerider215

1) Who cares about the street bike? (What's next a flatland mountain bike?)
What would be the problem with a flatland mountain bike (besides the obvious oxymoron in the name)? I try to flatland some on my cruiser is there a problem with that? Am I wrong? Did I violate the all encompassing bmx style rules?:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

freerider215

Chimp
Jul 27, 2003
Yo,
you're not breaking N E thing to me, that's my set up for street and i don't remember saying a bmx was a better set up?

I accidentally posted a response as a new thread, but basically i was just saying that i don't care what configuration people ride, but i don't think i need some company "developing" a "special" street bike. Screw it, i'm going riding.

Originally posted by where_am_i?
Freerider215, hate to break it to you but a bike with 26/24 inch wheels and a fork is really a better bike for street (real street, not park) than a BMX in many situatuons

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Originally posted by where_am_i?
Freerider215, hate to break it to you but a bike with 26/24 inch wheels and a fork is really a better bike for street (real street, not park) than a BMX in many situatuons
that's kind of a matter of opinion isn't it?

what's 'better' is whatever works for you.

true....

i just think its more versitile 'cause you can do most of the BMX street tricks, and you can do stair gaps and such and you can do some small trials lines and all on one bike, you just have a greater line density IMO. Also when a line is a tech street line , but it also takes advatage of suspension and big wheels it make for one awsome line. Baically instead of me rambling on you should go down to the store and pick up a copy of BIKE and look on the back cover, that is what a MTB street line should be, burly and tech, good stuff!!

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
but that's just the thing where_am_i?, a bike is a bike. I can go pretty damm big on a bike that alot of people wouldn't consider riding down a set of stairs for fear of it falling apart.
I don't weigh very much and I'm somewhat smooth. (sometimes, haha)

I do know what your saying about versatility of lines. one thing I do like about larger tires is the ability to ride over stuff my 20 inch can't too well. but, being a smaller person, big bikes are, well, kinda big.