Quantcast

MTB Gimmick Gadget Thread.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
my only problem with tubeless is when inget lazy and don’t check tire pressure before a ride and go smashing into rough shit like there’s no tomorrow. but when i’m backcountry i’m smart enough to carry a tube for if it’s too burped/torn to realseal. in general it’s too much of an improvement to go back to tubes full time. about to try double down for the first time. interested to see if that helps even more.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
WTF? Why would you need this?
A shoe lace (or ziptie) can open a difficult to open quicklink
removing a presta valve stem locknut just needs strong fingers..
a lock-on collar (the split) can be used to remove a presta valve core.
You shouldn't ever need a tyre lever to remove a tyre.

Admit it. it's actually a manicure set cunningly designed to look like a bike tool isn't it?

Magnetic closure? Ah.. of course. just like your make up bag?

Admit it. it's actually a manicure set cunningly designed to look like a bike tool isn't it?

Because it's convenient and it works?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I don't even know what an osprey pack is.. .I'm hoping it's either a pack of cheap lager or a pack for your bird of prey to perch on inspired by that video Gee did a few years back
I fully expect to be disappointed here.

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

Your custom title is spot on.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I wear a rather large Osprey pack, habit picked up from endurance riding. I keep tools and whatnot in it; if I carry them, I don't need them. If I don't carry them I need them.
That's why if I ride in company I always ride with my buddy Mr. Prepared. Fatherhood reduced these company ride occasions to a sad low number, so I carry a CO2 cartridge, a tube and some tubeless plugs with me. But since switching to DD tires I never needed any of them.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I don't have a clue as to how you can run low pressure with or without tubes. I'm down a ton of weight this year (85 lbs) and feel rim strikes every ride. I thought it was my suspension multiple times. While running DTSwiss XM 481 rims (30id) and piece of shit Minion 2.3 DD, EXO, TR, 20 more acronyms @35psi, I'd still hit the rimz. I pinch flatted @35 fucking psi on East Coast rox. Stans didn't do jack shit for a 2mm cut and a pinhole that a spoke couldn't even fit through.

How the hell are you running 28 psi and not flatting or ripping the tire off the bead?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I don't have a clue as to how you can run low pressure with or without tubes. I'm down a ton of weight this year (85 lbs) and feel rim strikes every ride. I thought it was my suspension multiple times. While running DTSwiss XM 481 rims (30id) and piece of shit Minion 2.3 DD, EXO, TR, 20 more acronyms @35psi, I'd still hit the rimz. I pinch flatted @35 fucking psi on East Coast rox. Stans didn't do jack shit for a 2mm cut and a pinhole that a spoke couldn't even fit through.

How the hell are you running 28 psi and not flatting or ripping the tire off the bead?
Try not hitting every last rock on the trail?

I run 28/30 f/r on my 2.5/2.4" tires, and 18/20 f/r on my 2.8"s. I strike a rim every now and then but certainly not every ride.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Try not hitting every last rock on the trail?

I run 28/30 f/r on my 2.5/2.4" tires, and 18/20 f/r on my 2.8"s. I strike a rim every now and then but certainly not every ride.
I don't know what pansy-ass, shit trails you ride, but we grow rocks around here.

20181025_122810.jpg
20181025_123009.jpg

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
you must be very proud of yourself
Well where do you live? I'll just move to your fantasy land. Dirt roadie.

We ride what we have. Rocks and that's it. Bring your bike and carbon rimz and ride your 18 psi. You'll be turning around in a 1/4 mile cause your bike is butt-hurt.

Last edited:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I don't know what pansy-ass, shit trails you ride, but we grow rocks around here.
Looks fun. I'm 200 lbs and ride shit like that with less than 30 psi pretty often, and rarely flat. Double-down casing in the rear, EXO in the front, tubeless all day.

If 35 psi and DD casings are not working for you, you need to either stop hitting stuff without regard to consequences, or get some DH tires.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord

We ride what we have. Rocks and that's it. Bring your bike and carbon rimz and ride your 18 psi. You'll be turning around in a 1/4 mile cause your bike is butt-hurt.
lololol.

i run ex500s on a nomad and run it everywhere from backcountry pisgah to snowshoe, windrock, and bailey. i tend to run 28 front 30 back on your dreaded dhfs with exo casing. i'm not super gentle or graceful. more of a hackish, plowish approach.

sorry life is so hard for you.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Looks fun. I'm 200 lbs and ride shit like that with less than 30 psi pretty often, and rarely flat. Double-down casing in the rear, EXO in the front, tubeless all day.

If 35 psi and DD casings are not working for you, you need to either stop hitting stuff without regard to consequences, or get some DH tires.
Not for us. DD casing doesn't stop a rim strike. Nor pinch flats when you have rocks. Pointed or flat. On my DH bikes, with tubes and 30psi at the beginning of the year and who knows how little by the end, I've had 2 flats in 15 years of DH. That's with half of my days on DH trails, not groomed trails (ie. Ripper, BMW, Utah, Platty and Whiteface in general).

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
lololol.

i run ex500s on a nomad and run it everywhere from backcountry pisgah to snowshoe, windrock, and bailey. i tend to run 28 front 30 back on your dreaded dhfs with exo casing. i'm not super gentle or graceful. more of a hackish, plowish approach.

sorry life is so hard for you.
You must walk your bike a lot.

Life's not hard. I run tubes.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

mmmmmmmm
No rocks in front range CO, yeah?

:popcorn:
:D

Yeah, Colorado has no rocks. My mistake. I also weigh 120 lbs soaking wet and dance over rocks at a dainty pace.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Not for us. DD casing doesn't stop a rim strike. Nor pinch flats when you have rocks. Pointed or flat. On my DH bikes, with tubes and 30psi at the beginning of the year and who knows how little by the end, I've had 2 flats in 15 years of DH. That's with half of my days on DH trails, not groomed trails (ie. Ripper, BMW, Utah, Platty and Whiteface in general).
My experience (and that of others here) is different than yours. But rock out with whatever works for you dude.

As for your "who knows" comment, are saying you don't check your tire pressure all season on your DH bike?

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I pretty much run 30psi front and rear more or less. Maybe 28psi front if I feel like being finicky.

I weigh about 155.

May start trying out 35psi front and rear, since tread biting into the "dirt" seems key where I live, and roots and wet rocks don't exist. I'm not convinced that low pressures help in typical soft / dry conditions, fat biking in the Sahara notwithstanding.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017

This is why I started running cushcore, to keep the tire intact i was pinging off everything. I can run 30/28 with CC

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Couple things. First, big shout out to KenW449 for getting us back on topic. That was a mike tyson punch level gimmick.

Second, I know I've said this before, but looking at this thread and seeing each new wonder, I'm gonna say it again. I've never seen something I needed so urgently in my life as that gold toolkit. Not because it's good. I'd bet its terrible. No, because I can pull it out and show my superiority to all the peasants near me using stupid shit like "plastic tire levers" and "steel tools." We've been using steel for thousands of years. Time to move on.

And last, I don't know if this has made it into the thread yet, but it most assuredly deserves a spot here if it hasn't.

http://reviews.mtbr.com/trust-performance-message-suspension-fork