Quantcast

MTB Magazines

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I like Dirt Rag, MBUK is ok, but they're always testing $400 hardtails, and that gets a little old. I keep wanting to like Decline, but it keeps being horrible.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I have a subsription to Bicycling/Mountain Bike that comes free with your IMBA membership. I thumb through it during one session on the crapper then it's into the garbage where it belongs.

I can't remember the last time I actually bought an MTB magazine on the newsstand.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
MBUKs problem is that they seem to repeat themselves far too often. I used to buy Dirt but since I stopped racing I've given up on that. I used to like the US mag Bike for the great pics and slightly different approach, no idea what it's like any more. No time to read now I have kids...

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Dirt Rag, MBA, and Bike subscriptions. Then sometimes I'll pick up a random mag from the newstands. Dirt Rag is the only one I'll say is any good. I think a lot of the mags have gone downhill over the last 10 years (and not DH in a good way). And Decline is the biggest pile of crap IMO. I'm all for a big glossy mag, but lose more than half the ads and throw in some content. What a rip.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
One of them, bicycling or something, sends me free copies. It is so dumb, every month is the same thing. "XXX new bike is great", "get faster and lose weight by riding your bike more", great maintenance tips like lube your chain with chain oil, clean it when it is dirty. I'm considering asking them to stop sending me the crap even though it is free.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Yeah, really, with the net, the mags are pretty irrelevant now. The bike tests are a joke, and say nothing for longevity like a message board does. The trail tales pale (woo Rhyme) in comparison to our own ride reports usually. Why do they pay these writers? The tech help is so lame, and who in the heck would want to wait a freaking MONTH to know how to fix something anyway, when you could just get online and ask, or go to the shop and ask.
The advocacy stuff is better handled locally too. Mags basically are worthless, except the odd feature.