Quantcast

MTB photography Article - UPDATE pt. 3

mammothpunks

Chimp
Sep 27, 2004
Mammoth
Man, i tried messing around with "The Bazooka" (Canon 70-200MM f/2.8)last night.... WOW....

i would have to learn how to shoot with it that thing is on the heavy Side... Monopod here i come!
The 70-200 is nowhere near a bazooka and easy to get used to after a little use. The Sigma 200-500 f/2.8 does qualify as a bazooka though...

fotog

Chimp
Mar 25, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Man, i tried messing around with "The Bazooka" (Canon 70-200MM f/2.8)last night.... WOW....

i would have to learn how to shoot with it that thing is on the heavy Side... Monopod here i come!
The weight actually helps to steady the camera while shooting. You don't really need a mono for this lens...

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Snapped a few photos this weekend with the 70-200, you guys are right, no Monopod needed at all....

Some Panning

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
I am not a fan of winter riding pictures, they lack so much contrast. I like the first one a little bit Dave, but they seem to be missing something I just can't put my finger on it. Glad you like the lens, I am getting a 100-400.

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there
if anyone really needs a monopod for any 70-200 then i'd say you should first invest in a gym membership. i suggest the gym of "dont be such a pussy"- they are open 25 hours a day, 8 days a week.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
FYI, i may be picking up this lens next month:

I can shoot the US open from my Manhattan NYC apartment...

c2001

Paparazzi
Aug 10, 2001
where everyone is
Might as well go with a 5200 f14...
SWEET LENS IMAGE HERE
that is so awesome and might be something need a monopod for! said it wasn't AF though...kinda weak for $55k. : )

from the auction:
SPECIFICATIONS

Applications: For Canon SLR/DSLR cameras

Image Format Covered: Over 24x36mm

Focal Length: 5,150mm

Angular Fields of View: Over 36'

Exposure Control: Light quantity is controlled with the use of built-in ND filters

corresponding to 14, 16, 22, 32

Minimum Object Distance: 120 meters

Ambient Temperatures: 40'C—15'C

(100'F—5'F)

Optical Construction: 2 mirrors and 3 elements

Optical System: Catadioptric system

Focusing Operation: For still cameras: By moving Bellows 5200

Film plane movable type: Adjust by moving 27mm at 1000mm to infinity

Also capable of adjusting focus to 120m.

Size: 500 (wide) x 600 (high) x 1890mm (deep)

(20”x24”x75.6”)

Weight: 100kg (220 lbs) without stand

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
55K for that seems like a bit of a steal actually. the 1200mm lens goes for $100K. It's probably best as a telescope actually.

kamomatt

Chimp
Aug 1, 2005
Chicago
I just saw the Sam Hill photo and the comments on it. I'd like to see a photo of the setup needed to take a picture of that quality. Basically someone taking a picture of you taking a picture of that quality.
I saw a picture of Mark Weir??? recently on a shot? I remember a dozens? of flashes all mounted on a tripods. I'll never get to that level don't wish to but I certainly can appreciate those shots. Matti on the Honda? with the village and the mountains dusk in the background from camera courage years back still a bench mark.
I've had the NG photo book may need to read it several times to get it.

j-posch

Monkey
Jun 25, 2007
I just saw the Sam Hill photo and the comments on it. I'd like to see a photo of the setup needed to take a picture of that quality. Basically someone taking a picture of you taking a picture of that quality.
I saw a picture of Mark Weir??? recently on a shot? I remember a dozens? of flashes all mounted on a tripods. I'll never get to that level don't wish to but I certainly can appreciate those shots. Matti on the Honda? with the village and the mountains dusk in the background from camera courage years back still a bench mark.
I've had the NG photo book may need to read it several times to get it.
Got a link to the Matti photo? don't think I have seen that.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
was a little bored at home so i decided to add some photoshop into 2 of my pics....

Tell me what u guys think!

Me

Evan

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
whats 'clipped'
I think he talking about the histogram in PS. Bascially they are so drak there is no information there. Usuallu blacks are best between 29-39 and whites about 230-238 or so. The info pallette rules. Try blending mode go and duplicate the layer select screen and brush out what you dont want to brighten, may help. Remeber the opacity on that layer also!

I can do a screen shot later with the top pic just so you get an idea if WHORYDER doesn't mind!

Last edited:

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
my only beef with the first one has more to do with the two hand fulls of brakes being grabbed
Avid Codes.... Basically, you can bring down the levers really close to the Bars and still not be braking... it's great for Brake pump and brae locking.... Works great for me.... but i'm slow... so....

Anyway, i was scared to death in the easy section so i was on my brakes all the way..... ****, i'm on my brakes on the lift that's how afraid i am.

Last edited:

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
i picked up a Sunpak 622 used for 100 Bucks today and i have to say... i regret not getting this flash anytime sooner.... the power was set to manual 1/16th power...

here are a few test shots with dead batteries:
(thanks to my daughter for helping me out)
Flash to her Left 5 feet pointed up!

Flash to the Right about 15 feet (pointed up)

Me and the Beast set up with CyberSyncs (with Flash Zebra Hotshoe) Male to Male PC cables connected.

The only test will be Batteries... does someone know any solutions for Rechargeable batteries, i will use this for outdoor sports. This uses C Batteries.. :-)

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there
those new zinc dohickeys are supposed to be pretty damn good, plenty of juice to run things like a flash and they are less rotten for the environment. they should be much more prominent this year.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
Have a look at the black box by Al Jacobs.

http://www.aljacobs.com/THE BLACK BOX.htm

I've got 2 of these after being tired of dealing with AA's all the time. 1000 flashes on a full charge, they're sturdy and durable, but not light and relatively inexpensive as far as external power packs go. You leave them on the charger whenever they aren't in use, so you've always got fully charged battery pack whenever you're shooting.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
i picked up a few goodies for the Sunpak 622

Rechargeable battery and charger
Zoom Head
Filters

Considering this Flash has been discontinued, all parts were pretty cheap.... I plan on Ebaying another one for another 100 bucks... these things are Beasts....

Now i have to practice and make sure i don't blind a bike rider..... i'll probably put the flashes on both sides of the trail.... sandwiching the riding i'll start with low power first 1/16th and decide which one would be best... :-)

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there
flash etiquette would be a good subject to cover in another installment...

improving technique is good and all. that should include safety for the shooters and riders. this isnt directed at anyone in this thread- i've just seen fools put flashes right in riders' line of sight, hanging over the tape with wide angle lenses hoping to get the shot, running across the track without looking uphill, draping synch cords across the track... people do some stupid crap because maybe they just dont know any better.

flash etiquette would be a good subject to cover in another installment... people do some stupid crap because maybe they just dont know any better.
or taking a pedal in the head by pushing out the tape under a stepdown transfer at one of the fastest spots on the schladming world cup course. and thus requiring emergency surgery on site and a medivac helicopter ride off the hill ... think of the difference between electronic focus and human focus ... sometimes better choice of position and different lens will yield infinitely better results. and a longer, more fun-filled day.

laters
g

Last edited:

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
improving technique is good and all. that should include safety for the shooters and riders. this isnt directed at anyone in this thread- i've just seen fools put flashes right in riders' line of sight, hanging over the tape with wide angle lenses hoping to get the shot, running across the track without looking uphill, draping synch cords across the track... people do some stupid crap because maybe they just dont know any better.
I agree with you on this one... During the US open, at the rock garden there were several photographers in the middle of the trail, fighting for spots, and even shooting their flashes right at the face of the riders....

Someone got punched in the face during the open, at the above mentioned trail (same spot) but am not sure if it was because of photography related...

This will be my first year shooting the open with a remote flash (no sync cords for me, all wireless), but my focus will be putting the Flash and getting a "Profile Shot" or the ride, away from line of vision.

Last edited:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
or taking a pedal in the head by pushing out the tape under a stepdown transfer at one of the fastest spots on the schladming world cup course. and thus requiring emergency surgery on site and a medivac helicopter ride off the hill ... think of the difference between electronic focus and human focus ... sometimes better choice of position and different lens will yield infinitely better results. and a longer, more fun-filled day.

PS: WhiteRavenKS i thought you were on holiday? what gives?
That was friggin' brutal. Who did it end up being anyways, just some random guy or anyone we know?