Quantcast

MTB-Related Customer Service Stories

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
Give props to those who have hooked you up and talk smack about those who were dick. Your chance to directly lay some karma down.

I'm only bringing this up because over the weekend I had a Crank Brothers Mallet pedal that completely stripped itself out of my drive-side crank. Both are ruined, but I've heard of Crank Bros cool customer service so I dropped an email this morning explaining the situation and asking if there was a way I could purchase a replacement spindle. Just got an email back giving me an RA# so they can replace the spindle for me free of charge. That's hella cool if you ask me.

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
I have a Lume HID that suffered some consequences in one of my OTB antics. It survived through the rest of the ride but would not fire up after it was shut off. Figured it had to be the bulb and they have a set fee for replacement so I purchased that and sent the light on it's way. It was promptly repaired and returned. The problem ended up not being a bulb and included in the box was a check for the amount of difference in labor, a pleasant surprise. :thumb:

Alfred

Monkey
Jul 27, 2006
I echo the same great comments about Lume. They made my light a flood instead of a spot before they ever offered it. For free. In less than 5 days. :thumb:

FBTMILF

Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
Colorado
Thats awesome, something similar happened to me but what do i do with the RA#? Do i write it on a piece of paper and send it in with the pedals or what?

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
FBTMILF said:
Thats awesome, something similar happened to me but what do i do with the RA#? Do i write it on a piece of paper and send it in with the pedals or what?

Write it on the outside of the box.

mxer338

Monkey
May 9, 2005
CT
i just completely destroyed a mallet c spindle and body. crank bros gave me a new pedal for free, in a very short amount of time at that

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Crank Bros are awsome about warranties. They regularly rebuild my team guys stuff free of charge. They rebuilt both sets of mallets for me in whistler in their condo - killer service!

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Crank brothers warranty is good, unfortunately it needs to be because their pedals are made out of swiss cheese. Working at a shop that specializes in dh and aggressive riding, we do alot of warranty work. Big winners recently- Any SRAM company*, Norco, Specialized. Only real loser at the moment is Manipoo- slow turnaround, a couple have come back still f-ed up or with other problems.

*Rockshox doesnt have a replacement damper for my leaking motion control, hopefully they can take care of it at Snowmass Natl. They have always been awesome before.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Funny, I've never had a single issue with my Crank Bros. pedals, they did give me a big bag of spare cleats for free one time tho.

I've also had killer service from Manitou, they always got me taked care off, mabye that's because I pack 40's of Old E. with my shocks and forks when I ship them in, but either way they have given me great service.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Back when E.13 had just started producing the soft rollers for the DRS, I emailed John P. inquiring about the cost, since I had purchased a DRS & Imperial frame not too long before that and I had the hard roller.

He asked me for my address and two days later I had two soft rollers and a bucket of Evil/E.13 stickers, all on the house.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
e13 gave me all sorts of stainless steel hardware after i posted about a rusty bolt on my idler wheel.

truvativ got me a crank for $20 after i stripped the pedal threads out of it (it was an xc crank on a freeride bike, so they cut me a deal).

GT couldn't be bothered w/ even giving me a price for a front triangle replacement when i broke my DHi. it was a 2nd hand (though essentially new) frame, so i wasn't even bothering w/ the warranty angle, i just wanted to replace it. f 'em.

niterider gave me a digital headtrip battery for free after i enquired about a potential warranty issue w/ the regular headtrip.

mavic warrantied my crossland rear wheel and gave me a crossmax for free, w/ wheelbag.

race face warrantied a seatpost which bent, no questions asked.

wellgo warrantied my dead b-27 pedal by sending me a set of b-67s for free.

specialized replaced my under-warranty seatstay on my enduro, but it took them about 4 months.

spooky warrantied my broken pit boss frame, and while it took a long time and i was constantly left in the dark about what was going on, i did end get a new frame. probably the last new frame out of them. they went tits up moments afterward.

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
I also need to mention when I picked up a Voodoo frame it was sans head badge. Upon inquiring about the ability to purchase one from John up in Flagstaff, I received a package in the mail with 2 head badges free of charge, a new Voodoo catalog and some cool stickers. Now that's customer service!

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I called Spooky once with a question and was surpised someone answered the phone....and they answered the question.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
I had blown my Fox Vanilla shock up on my RM Pipeline. It was years and years of out warranty. They repaired it once and it blew again. On my 2nd call to them, they explained that most likely a bunch of sideloads over time had probably ovalized the damper... I thought I was SOL but they went ahead and sent me a free shock (minus the spring) without me asking/pleading, etc.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
I have a second hand Ellsworth which had a cracked rear stay. It was replaced for FREE no questions asked and I received the new one in 4 days along with new seals and a bunch of stickers. The new stay had the newer weld's and was significantly stronger than the original.

I have a Raceface X-Type BB that was DENIED warranty replacement. The threads were defective and it would not install into the BB shell when it was brand new out of the box. I had to purchase a new one just to use my new cranks that were suppose to come with them icluded in the price. That was my last purchase EVER from those assholes. :hot:

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
blue said:
Whaaa? How did you do that? Those were mine, right?
Yeah those were what I got from you, and I have no idea how it happened. I suppose it could have been user error but isht ... they're pedals. Anyways, no worries!

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
I 3rd, 4th, 5th the comments about great customer service from Crank Bros:) I ordered a set of Candy's though their sponsorship and someone forgot to put one of the pedals all the way together:eek:

Called them up, explained what I was missing...two days later I get the parts in the mail with 5 pairs of riding socks:love: On the phone they were hella cool and very sorry, no tude at all.

Oh and swiss cheese? I have been riding the same pair of Candy’s for 3+ years, rebuilt them once and they are still in great shape:cool:

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Snacks said:
Oh and swiss cheese? I have been riding the same pair of Candy’s for 3+ years, rebuilt them once and they are still in great shape:cool:
Well, I got 3 weeks each out of two seperate sets of mallets. Broke the wire on one and on the other I bent the axle about 15 degrees on a rock clip that wasnt even hard enough to make me clip out. Not to mention they release too easily out of the box.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
Well, in the past the customer service from crank brothers has been excellent. However, I just got back a pair of 3ti eggbeaters which I had sent in for warranty because they have play between the spindle and body; this is even after they have been rebuilt. Well, they don't appear to even have been touched, so I'm going to call them shortly.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Iron Horse - F'ed up the oem rear wheel on my old G-Spot (freewheel was shot), they sent me a new one BEFORE i had sent the old one back. Days of riding lost - ZERO. I'll never hesitate to buy one of their bikes... well other than if I have the $$$ or not

FSA - Snapped a bottom Bracket at Northstar, they replaced with an upgraded part (more DH worthy).

Race face - set of rings were giving me problems, wearing much faster (about a month and a half) than they should. RF gave my LBS sh*t about it, made me send in my entire drivetrain to them so they could tell if it were my (or my LBS')fault. In the end - they replaced it b/c it was not my issue, but that took over a month and they didn't return my chain (but they did give back the old sh*tty rings). Had a BB seize on my in less than a year. I sent it in, they sent it back. RF can go F' themselves as far as I am concerned.