Quantcast

MTBR is nearly 300% better than Ridemonkey...

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I think they have 116 different forums. I got distracted counting. I think Ridemonkey has 41, but I'm still a little fried from scrolling MTBR to try to count.

Seriously, isn't it a bit much to have a forum for nearly every friggin' manufacturer on Earth??? I don't get it.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
If I want to see cool pictures of, and/or educational and interesting discussion about mountain bikes and/or riding them, MTBR tends to offer it in much greater quantity than RM.
However, at this stage, since I already have the bikes I need, know how to fix them, and don't care about stupid new parts, RM is better because it's funnier.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I want to go on record by saying I don't have issue with MTBR, although I rarely go there, but just noticed all of the boards.

You can have 250 PMs, so they are at least twice as good. :D

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I find the reviews funny. For just about any given product, there is at least one jackass saying "this is the worst POS I have ever ridden/used! When I totally used it for unintended purposed, it failed."

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I find the reviews funny. For just about any given product, there is at least one jackass saying "this is the worst POS I have ever ridden/used! When I totally used it for unintended purposed, it failed."
"BRKOE ON A 18 FOT DROP TO FLAT!!!111! TOTALL POS!!111!!! DANG IM TEH ****Z!1"

Apparently there is a place where 13 year olds all go bigger than pros.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Okay, my original post was insincere, but whatev.

I visit MTBR forums solely for small, random tidbits of bike-related information that will never grace the boards here at RM. And even then, I keep my browsing to no more than 3 or 4 forums and 15 minutes tops. The SSing forum has traditionally been quite helpful.

I especially enjoy the questions like, "what pedals work best for my future 5 spot?" Or better yet, "what saddle should I use on my Blur??/?"

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
If I want to see cool pictures of, and/or educational and interesting discussion about mountain bikes and/or riding them, MTBR tends to offer it in much greater quantity than RM.
However, at this stage, since I already have the bikes I need, know how to fix them, and don't care about stupid new parts, RM is better because it's funnier.
]
Yes. If I want to talk about bikes, I go to MTBR. If I want to be entertained, I come here.

skunkty14

Monkey
May 29, 2007
]
Yes. If I want to talk about bikes, I go to MTBR. If I want to be entertained, I come here.
Exactly the same for me, adding ride reports with photos to the list for MTBR. I come to RM primarily for this forum which rarely to disappoint.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Exactly the same for me, adding ride reports with photos to the list for MTBR. I come to RM primarily for this forum which rarely fails to disappoint.
I counted those in with bikes. As in anything bike related goes to MTBR. The :monkey: is for random funny stuff.

skunkty14

Monkey
May 29, 2007
I counted those in with bikes. As in anything bike related goes to MTBR. The :monkey: is for random funny stuff.
Agreed. You caught my post before I fixed; I meant rarely fails to entertain rather than disappoint :poster_oops:

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Has "CRAZY FRED" from MTBR ever made an appearance here?

I used to really like MTBR. Now it gets under my skin in a bad way. I do browse it from time to time though but there is a lot of useless crap to wade through.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Has "CRAZY FRED" from MTBR ever made an appearance here?

I used to really like MTBR. Now it gets under my skin in a bad way. I do browse it from time to time though but there is a lot of useless crap to wade through.
I hope not. What a tool. For those who aren't familliar with him, he's basically an obnoxious Nicolai brand whore, who goes on incoherant, angry rants about all kinds of crap. Example: someone starts a thread about a new Nicolai. Someone else posts a picture of a Transition Bottle Rocket. Fred goes ape****, ranting about how the photo of the crap Taiwanese bike is ruining the Nicolai thread, and how it's an abomination to have such a picture in a thread about a Nicolai. He's also claimed that he used to regularly huck 15' to flat on a mid '90s rigid Klein. :disgust1:

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I hope not. What a tool. For those who aren't familliar with him, he's basically an obnoxious Nicolai brand whore, who goes on incoherant, angry rants about all kinds of crap. Example: someone starts a thread about a new Nicolai. Someone else posts a picture of a Transition Bottle Rocket. Fred goes ape****, ranting about how the photo of the crap Taiwanese bike is ruining the Nicolai thread, and how it's an abomination to have such a picture in a thread about a Nicolai. He's also claimed that he used to regularly huck 15' to flat on a mid '90s rigid Klein. :disgust1:
so basically he was MTBR's loco?

:D

BTW have you seen this beer?
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=370385

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
You're forgetting the loosely veiled death threats and threats of physical beating from his Hell's Angels buddies.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
You're forgetting the loosely veiled death threats and threats of physical beating from his Hell's Angels buddies.
I put him on my ignore list, so I havn't read anything by him in a long time. Guess I missed that stuff. I can believe it though.

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
I had not been to the MTBR forums for a while, so I checked them today.

My brain hurts.

Most of the questions asked are so stupid, but the answers/advice handed out can be just as moronic. It is getting worse, it would seem.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I had not been to the MTBR forums for a while, so I checked them today.

My brain hurts.

Most of the questions asked are so stupid, but the answers/advice handed out can be just as moronic. It is getting worse, it would seem.
There's a lot of stupid crap, for sure, but there's also some genuinely good info too. You just need to pick and choose. After a little while you figure out who knows what they're talking about and who dosn't.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I think it's hillarious that MTBR has a Zion forum. Zion=Jenson housebrand. :rofl: