Quantcast

Mtn bike for Pyrenees crossing

Cascade

Chimp
Jan 21, 2008
I mountain bike with friends ocassionally, borrowing either a Moots or Rodriguez custom from them. Single track, big climbs, some forest roads.

So I have a 3 wk trip this summer across the Pyrenees from the Mediterranean to the Atlantic. On dirt roads, 3k ft of climbing every day for 3 wks. I have a couple road bikes but no mtn bike.

So I'm looking for suggestions. I'm in Seattle and have been looking at some used bike shops. I'd prefer a hard tail, something light weight. We're going to carry small packs and stay in villages.

So - suggestions on bikes and where to buy. Thanks for any help.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
essentially, "credit card touring" or will there be ANY chance that you'll need more gear? If so, panniers or trailer?

Cascade

Chimp
Jan 21, 2008
I said in my orginal post we're stopping at villages every night. So - if you don't mind washing clothes in the sink and having a limited wardrobe, it's possible. Just carry the essential clothes, some group tools, water and have at it.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I'm not trying to discourage you, just get an idea of what you're trying to accomplish.

Even if you carry the basic set of clothing for about town, a back-up set of riding clothes and wash nightly, you still have basic toiletries and another set of footwear, yeah?

Some people don't mind carrying all that on their back for three weeks, but it would drive me crazy.

If that's what you're going to do, okay, cool... then that opens up the bike selection since you won't need eyelets for a rack and bags.

Even if you had posted a budget, I'm not the best here to advise you on which specific mtb to buy since I'm more of a roadie and my answer is always, "buy the bike that fits you best and that you like the most as most bikes are pretty darn similar at any give price point." But I bet you know that already being a roadie yourself.

What about a bike that comes with a coupling so you can fold it down small for shipping?

If I was doing this trip -- putting aside how to haul the gear -- I'd build up a bike with an internally geared rear hub so as to minimize maintaintenance concerns since I'm not as good a mechanic as some monkeys. That way you can run a heavy duty single-speed chain.

Just a thought.

Also, we have a PNW forum here, so you might want to post in their for specific advice on shops. We have a lot of PNW monkeys.

Sounds like a great trip!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
If you're really going without a tent and sleeping bag, do take those tiny metallic space blankets... small, light, and if something bad happens, you can laugh at your friends :D