Quantcast

Mtn Bike Shoes....

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I'm looking for a slightly wider than the normal Mtn Bike Shoe. Anybody have any brand recommendations?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
dfinn said:
I have wide feet and I like the fit of my Specialized Taho shoes.
Ok thanks I have a local dealer too.

They seem like a heavy shoe, do you find this to be the case?
How do they breath?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
The Tahoes are more of a recreational shoe, you may want to check out the new Trail 120. It's in between a freeride and XC shoe, so it breathes and it's protective. You should also look at the regular XC shoes. I have the Sport MTB shoes and they've been durable and breathable.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I have wide feet and im rockin the specialized shoes that are around 100 bux. Not sure exactly the name.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
stosh said:
Ok thanks I have a local dealer too.

They seem like a heavy shoe, do you find this to be the case?
How do they breath?
I have never noticed the weight of them, they feel right around the same weight or just slightly heavier than the regular hiking or skate shoes I wear. I'm not weight weenie though.

They breathe fine, never had any issues with that. I always wear "Sock Guy" socks or that type of cycling specific socks and my feet are always very comfortable.

I did have issues with one foot going slightly numb after a long ride but that went away after I used them a couple of times.

They probably aren't the highest end shoe but they were cheap and held up very well throughout this season. I'll be using them again next season for sure.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
If you can find them (Ebay probably) Specialized Fat Boy shoes are the widest I have ever worn. The 661 Nuevos are fairly wide.

And my Sidis are just too narrow, though I have never tried the Megas. The only other brand I have worn is Answer, which were OK.

I have the widest and flatest feet of anyone I know and the Specialized and 661 shoes fit very well.

Here are my shoes. You can see that the Specialized is fairly wide while the Sidi is fairly narrow. The Sidi is also a tad smaller in length. I shoulda got a larger size... maybe a 44.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
stosh said:
I'm looking for a slightly wider than the normal Mtn Bike Shoe. Anybody have any brand recommendations?
So you have Hobbit feet?

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
stosh said:
I had some made by Time... they were pretty wide, almost too wide. I dont know if they are all like that though, might just have been that model (now discontinued I think) the Snakes or some sh!t like that.

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
Specialized makes some damn decent shoes for the money. I wore out a pair of Sidi Dominators in about a year (the whole side blew out of the shoe) and now I'm back with the original Specialized shoes that I bought 3 years ago. The Specialized are a whole bunch better on hike-a-bike excursions too.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Trainwreck said:
Specialized makes some damn decent shoes for the money. I wore out a pair of Sidi Dominators in about a year (the whole side blew out of the shoe) and now I'm back with the original Specialized shoes that I bought 3 years ago. The Specialized are a whole bunch better on hike-a-bike excursions too.
I agree. I have had better luck with Specialized shoes compared to Sidi and Northwave at twice the costs.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Thanks for all the help. My local Specz. dealer doesn't STOCK a lot of their shoes but he does have some.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
I have wider feet, and I have used Carnacs, but they are pricey, but lately I have been doing well with Lake shoes, I started out with there mxz300 winter shoe wich is totally awesome, I also like the pricing on most lake shoes they aren't as pricey as Sidi or Carnacs but do seem to hold up well, I have a pair of Road touring shoes that have 3 seasons of riding, and being touring shoes they have some walking in too and they are near perfect, and they cost me around 50 bucks...

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i really, really like my Speccy Comp Carbons. 3rd pair of Specialized shoes (first 2 pair were 2000 Teams [road and mtn]). they do good work in the shoe department.

nikwho

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
Flagstaff, Az
i have prurdy wide feet too and i have a pair of sixsixone "stinger" shoes... they fit my foot great and i think i paid like $80ish.....

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
nikwho said:
i have prurdy wide feet too and i have a pair of sixsixone "stinger" shoes... they fit my foot great and i think i paid like $80ish.....
I am glad that your feet are "prurdy" but this thread was started back in November.
Stosh either got him some shoes, or his feet have become really tough by now.:)

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I don't know about wide feet versions, but I just bought a pair of northwaves that are SO comfy. Also, my Diadora's are pretty wide, breath really well and are comfy too. Sq-Earl thinks the same of his Diadora's and thinks that they are wide. They're also on sale at Performance I think.