Quantcast

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
MtnBikerChk had been wanting a new road bike, and after a couple months of deciding what to get, she picked up her brand spankin' new carbon fiber Trek Madone this morning. Such a purty bike!

SRAM components.

Soooo....of course we had to go for a road ride today! 1.9 miles into the ride, a 20 year old driver in the oncoming lane was waiting to take a left turn in front of us. She turned just as we got to the road. We were "chugging along" at about 18 MPH. There was no avoiding the car. MBC slammed on the brakes, skidded, went down, and crashed into the side of the car. She got a little banged up on the left leg. Nothing major. Tetanus shot needed. New bike, 1.9 miles, old: DESTROYED. Frame snapped in four places.

The driver was cited for making an unsafe turn. The cop said her insurance will pay for a new bike. I guess the good news is that MBC's got some brand new spare components now, including wheels.

I'm just glad the wifey is ok.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Glad to hear MBC sustained no major injuries!!!

Sucks her bike was totaled, but at least you are looking on the upside that she'll have spare components.

What was the driver's attitude in the aftermath of all this? Was she at least apologetic?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Wow. Good thing she is okay and alive with one hell of a story to tell. Now is the time to upgrade (part out estimate much?)! Don't worry, the insurance co is paying for most of it... ha.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
The driver was very upset and very apologetic. Her father showed up and was very apologetic too and they assured us they'd do what was necessary to pay for everything.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Holy crap.

I always PLAN on drivers pulling that kind of $hit on the road.

Actually that's why I mostly avoid the road...

Glad she's OK!
MBC always road rides very cautiously. The car was stopped and it looked like it was waiting...then the driver just gunned it.

Like I told MBC, it was a good thing she was riding in front or that could have been me that got hit.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
IAB,
Very glad everyone is OK. Thats pretty much what happened to me on my scooter, except when I went down she ran me over. Must be something about 20 year old girls making left turns. Trust me, things could have been much worse.

After impact I got up and I couldn't get my phone out of my pack fast enough. "what's the number" I'm thinking - OH YEAH 911!! The first thing I said into the phone "I was riding my bike and I was hit by a car....license plate [enter plate here]" and then handed the phone to IAB.

She got out of the car and said "I'm sorry I wasn't paying attention." I repeated it "YOU WEREN'T PAYING ATTENTION??"

Thank GOD I didn't hit my head or break any bones or worse...... so lesson learned - for the both of us.

my poor bikey.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
When I got Phil's text I thought someone was playing a prank on me. Once confirmed I was totally shocked. I'm glad you are OK MBC and sorry about your bike. I hope your replacement will arrive very soon once all the insurance stuff is taken care of.

Scary stuff.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
And this is why I will never own a motorcyle. People don't see motorcyclists just like they don't see bicyclists. But needless to say, not being seen at 18mph is far better than not being seen at 65mph.

splat

Nam I am
Glad to hear your OK.( so do Maggie Peter and Jessica ) How bad is the road Rash ? Pavement is a Bit harder than Dirt ehhh ? Are you going to start wearing armour while Road riding ?

You probably will have to fight with the insurance company. But don't let them get away with it.

When I got Phil's text
I thought she got rear ended with the bike on the car.

SO If you get to keep the wrecked Bike ( Insurance may want it, just to throw it away ) Does that mean IAB gets a New Grouppo for his Bike ?

IAB didn't you just Increase her Life Insuance ? :rofl:

Glad to hear your OK.( so do Maggie Peter and Jessica ) How bad is the road Rash ? Pavement is a Bit harder than Dirt ehhh ? Are you going to start wearing armour while Road riding ?

You probably will have to fight with the insurance company. But don't let them get away with it.

I thought she got rear ended with the bike on the car.

SO If you get to keep the wrecked Bike ( Insurance may want it, just to throw it away ) Does that mean IAB gets a New Grouppo for his Bike ?

IAB didn't you just Increase her Life Insuance ? :rofl:
the rear wheel is bent - far as I can figure the rest of the groupo looks ok but the sensors (both speed and cadence) for the computer are toast too.

I don't have any road rash - I think I landed on top of the bike - it's weird. My right leg is the one that took the impact. see fb pics.

and yes, I've considered wearing my mtb pads.

so when are we going mtb? I need to get off the road for a while LOL

Last edited:

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Hey folks....super glad to hear MBC is OK. I know that must have been an incredible scare to both of you guys. Good kharma looks after great people. Sorry about the bike, but that is one really kick ass yard gnome. :thumb:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Glad nobody got hurt.
Same thing happened to me only the driver past me and then made a right turn into me...in the bike lane.
Even though her insurance had no provision to cover pedestrians or cyclists, they were so **** scared of being sued that they took care of everything. Lawyers have their place.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Add me too the pile of folks thankful you are okay...but MtnBkrChk on a road bike? I am having some trouble with that one...must meditate...