Quantcast

MTX Rims

R

richcreek

i was woundering has anyone had good or bad experiences with the sun MTX rims? i was thinking of building up a set for my bike because the mavic 321's are soooooooo weak! i flat spotted 1 of them within the first 1 1/2 weeks of riding and the other one was severely out of true.

Thanks in advance.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
i would go with doubletracks. i ran into the same problem with my 321s 2 seasons ago (heavy duty FR) so i went with doubletracks all last season, and they were perfect at the end of the year (and im 240lbs)

R

richcreek

any body elese have any experience with them. what rims should i get besides them? they need to be resonabally light but strong.

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
I've got a pair of MTX rims on my DH bike. I love em' so far. I've put a few small dents in the sidewalls of the rear rim from running low pressure, but the dents are very easy to pull out. They are still true, and I haven't had to adjust them at all. They are pretty light, too.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I've had the same MTX/Razor Rock set up on 3 different bikes now(about a year total?), LOVE THEM. The lip/bead itself bends fairly easy, just keep your psi in the normal range and you'll have no problems. And just for the record, I'm not exactly the smoothest rider...but no flat spots and I've trued them twice, the front's due for another after my make-shift bike rack failed on me on the interstate in high winds. Just put a little wobble in the front...not bad, especially if you could have seen what happened...

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
richcreek said:
i was woundering has anyone had good or bad experiences with the sun MTX rims? i was thinking of building up a set for my bike because the mavic 321's are soooooooo weak! i flat spotted 1 of them within the first 1 1/2 weeks of riding and the other one was severely out of true.

Thanks in advance.
Sounds more like the rider is a hack.

R

richcreek

Opeth, why dont you just shut the hell up. i am asking riders opinion on a rim. if you dont have anything to say on that topis stay off the thread.

J

JRB

Good job, Rip.

richcreek - I don't know anything about them, but I think they are one of the coolest looking rims.

R

richcreek

yeah, thats what mad me try to find out what they are.i think they are one of the coolest looking rims too.

smedford

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
Bellingham, WA
I have been running them for the last year. As others have said, they bend, but you can pull them out, they dont flat. If you are riding rock gardens with low pressure maybe not, but for pretty much everything else, they are a great choice.

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
richcreek said:
Opeth, why dont you just shut the hell up. i am asking riders opinion on a rim. if you dont have anything to say on that topis stay off the thread.
I did comment on the rim. If you flatspotted a 321 that quickly you have to be a complete hack job. If you did that to a 321, what makes you think that you aren't going to destroy a MTX?

R

richcreek

what makes you think that you aren't going to destroy a MTX?
Maby because they are stronger. i didnt build thoes weels they caame stock from the shop so it is not my fault that thay were crappy and they couldn't hold up to my riding.