N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Breaking story....

Large Portion of Los Angeles Loses Power
By LAURA WIDES, Associated Press Writer
7 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES - A large portion of Los Angeles was blacked out Monday when electrical power was lost. The power got knocked out shortly before 1 p.m. after two power surges.

Traffic lights throughout downtown and the San Fernando Valley were not working, causing major traffic problems, according to video from helicopter news crews.

Downtown highrises also were darkened.

The city's department of water and power said it was investigating the cause and extent of the outage.

It is related to this: http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Investigation/story?id=1115448&page=1 ???

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
"A spokeswoman for the Los Angeles Police Department said outages were reported across downtown Los Angeles, Koreatown, North Hollywood, Burbank and in the San Fernando Valley. Officials said power had not been lost at Los Angeles International Airport. "

It's a large area, but certainly not more than 25% of the city. This means that everything south of the 10 freeway (a substantial part of the city), East LA, and everything west of Miracle Mile (Beverly Hills, Century City, Westwood, etc.) is okay.

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
kidwoo said:
They do that so that it has historical significance. The report(s) will last longer than the event itself.
... so that's why "FEMA chief steps down" is still the highlighted news item on MSN.com!

N8 said:
Power being restored...

The outage was somehow caused by Geo. Bush...
He's been busy!

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
L.A. Lost Power?
Gee I hope they Find it, Did they look for it in the Hills by Griffith Park, or Maybe its down below the Orange Wall in El Toro?
I was going to say check Chavez Ravine but there hasn't been any power there since Lasorda left.

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
MunkeeHucker said:
L.A. Lost Power?
Gee I hope they Find it, Did they look for it in the Hills by Griffith Park, or Maybe its down below the Orange Wall in El Toro?
I was going to say check Chavez Ravine but there hasn't been any power there since Lasorda left.
Did you write this by looking at a map or something?

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
MunkeeHucker said:
Nope, Former LA resident.....
I've never heard the "Orange Curtain" called the "Orange Wall" -

Congrats on getting out of LA, though. I escaped 4 years ago and love it.

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
I just got back from my lunch break, and it's traffic hell out there. Lights are out, which of course means that everyone will drive like an ass.

Cops were blazing by all around, to what I assume are a lot of traffic accidents.

People are so retarded. When the lights are out it's a 4 way stop. People were just having a traffic free for all.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
rooftest said:
I've never heard the "Orange Curtain" called the "Orange Wall" -

Congrats on getting out of LA, though. I escaped 4 years ago and love it.
Yeah its a good feeling blowing your nose and not seeing black gunk in your hankey!

Gusitar

Chimp
Sep 13, 2001
It was a boo boo on the part of a power employee. "Oops, I don't think I was supposed to cut that one!" :nope: It is being restored as I respond. NBD!

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
I think we all know what happened...
It must have been Bush every ones liberal spidy scenes must be tingling.
I say it was Bush in the parlor with the candle stick :D

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I lived there about 4 years ago in LA city, then La Canada. I lived there for about 11 years. LA has everything though. Good lbs's are not far from anywhere. Lots of resaturants: Pandas everywhere. Mtn high-45min from pasadena. Lots of mountains and spots.

It is smoggy though. I like LA.

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
blt2ride said:
I don't think so. When it's 75 degrees in December, and you're snowed in--I'll be thinking of you when I'm doing shuttle runs... :D
Second that :thumb:

I honestly wish I could move but since I work in TV I don't have too many options. Then I remember I'm 20 minutes from the beach, 45 minutes from the snow and 10 minutes from the mountains. It could be worse.

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
I'm originally from the Bay Area, and moved to Los Angeles, about 3 years ago after I graduated from school.

I have a love hate relationship with Los Angeles. Ultimately, once I become really wealthy I'd like to have a place in the Bay Area and down in LA.

I hate how it takes like 40 minutes to get to the store down the street. Traffic is bad however, it's easy enough to take a bike and get most anywhere in a shorter amount of time.

Beaches are close, and I can surf before going to work without having to wake up at godawful hours.

Everyone says LA people are terrible, and I pretty much see the worst LA has to offer since I work in the film business, and that kind of sucks, but I've met some of the nicest, and coolest people since I've been down here.

Either way, LA has its pros and cons. A big con however, the Dodgers and the Angels. Barf.

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
Hey - the Angels have done well recently. Unfortunately, I became bored with baseball and stopped paying attention long before the Angels started winning. (I remember Reggie Jackson still played for them when I went to games.)

The Dodgers havn't done anything that I'm aware of since the '80's. I recently had to confirm that the Dodgers are still in LA - you NEVER see dodger flags on cars, license plate frames, etc.

We do have the Trojans, however

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
bjanga said:
And no nightlife to speak of.
Well, TJ (mexico, not Lovebunny) is 5 mins away and they have nightlife.

S.D. is becoming just as bad as L.A./O.C. anyway... traffic, high housing prices, more and more smog. And TJ lives there. :blah:

;)