Quantcast

Much respect for this XC racer...

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
My friend did about 30min of an XC race on the rim once - one of those 24hr team things, he didn't want to let the team down so carried on for the rest of the lap. Respect! :)

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I did it for 2 hours once during a single loop 25 mile xc race........on the trail it wasn't bad at all, the dirt conditions allowed the rim to dig in.

On the gravel fireroads it was very hairy though......would lose the front end in a blink.

The rim was Mavic and was severely nicked up but otherwise was still useable afterwards.....

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
If it's a World Cup they can just ride to one of the pits and get a new wheel.

-ska todd
exactly whats wrong with the current rules. Mountain bike racing by the sports very nature should be self sufficient to weed out unreliably light parts from the field....and the market.

Tubular XC wheels are light and trick. And they are a gamble, looks like homeboy came up snake eyes.

Killer shot though!

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Does anybody else remember the Fisher/Vittoria tubulars from the '80's?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
re: xc tubulars - how do they typically deal w/ flats? dnf or ride the rim like this guy?
Pit stop inflator system. Sealant and Co2 all in one can, we sell them at the shop, people love them.

exactly whats wrong with the current rules. Mountain bike racing by the sports very nature should be self sufficient to weed out unreliably light parts from the field....and the market.

Tubular XC wheels are light and trick. And they are a gamble, looks like homeboy came up snake eyes.

Killer shot though!
Your just jealous.

Weight weenie.
There not that much lighter than a standard setup. Better ride thoughand if glued properly, youll never pop a bead off a rim. Seriously though, its more of a lookie what I have more than anything.

Personally, I dont think they were glued anyways, I think Dude was using the Tufo tape. Seriously, there is no way it would have been faster to rip the tire off and roll on the rim vs just riding out a flat, not to mention the cost of the wheel. Thats pretty hardcore to roll like that, I know I cant afford to do so.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
That ss what I thought at first but countries who drive on left side of the road (Aus, UK, NZL, RSA, etc) reverse their brakes. So he is feathering the rear.

Still badaass regardless!
Rockin fingers on both levers!

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
dammit i want another pair of those Vans :(

best shoes ever!
except for the Hematoma. and 5.10s.

....ok, so maybe not the best shoe ever but they really did kick ass!

mccdh

Monkey
Sep 9, 2008
Comox
dammit i want another pair of those Vans :(

best shoes ever!
except for the Hematoma. and 5.10s.

....ok, so maybe not the best shoe ever but they really did kick ass!
I have a pair sitting on the shelf in my garage with less than a dozen runs on them....except theyre my moms shoes she tried and doesnt like:biggrin: