Quantcast

Mud room, entryway, landing strip, etc.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Does anyone have a mud room that they like? Bike specific or not is fine. I'm just gathering some real-world (and not pinterest) ideas for how I might proceed. This will be in the garage prior to entry into the home. It's most often how we enter the house when we've been out on bikes or playing in the snow/mud. We have a solution when we enter the front door.

Was thinking a place to sit, and put on/take off jackets, gloves/hat/scarf, etc. But also for boots and possibly bike helmets as well. Any thoughts would be appreciated. What we have now is very makeshift and requires you to enter the house to access the closet inside the door. Would be much better handled if everything was prior to entry.

Thanks.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
What size room are we working with?
It's for a corner of a garage. Just enough to put our daily outerwear which doesn't change too much in a given season. I was thinking something small, two to three cubbies. Ceiling is about 7ft before the pipes.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Yeah, I had one in a place in France in a ski challet, kind of two zones: skis went in a rack outside then the very first bit when you came in was it was also a ‘wet-room’; you came in and there was a lower area with bench seating where you stripped boots and below the seats were upside down boot-racks and this mini showerhead type thing and a drain in the center so you could rinse off mud, it was aimed at ski boots but it worked for anything. They had a little tub with various brushes in. Then the next level was a little step up, wooden floor, more benches plus coat racks and cubbies. Could still get a bit wet and dirty but sweep all the crap into the wet area when you were done. Finally a step up to the door with carpet and a rack for house shoes. As well as normal heating for when the door was closed it also had an aggressive hot air blower and vent in the main area which dried it all out and just quickly made the space toasty for when you first got in. I would love a similar facility at my place.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
We built a mudroom at the last house and have plans to build one next spring at this one. We want a place for dirty dogs to sleep and a place to take off filthy clothes. Shoe/boot storage and a coat closet also.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
We have design one in our new house. You come in from a back door straight from the singletrack. We decided on 5-6 open cubes, a 48 inches bench and 60 inches enclosed cabinets with lower drawers. In our last mudroom we had hook for jackets, but we decided not to put any because they always ended up cluttered.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
We have one. It’s kind of more of a mud hallway than a room. We have an old church pew to sit on. Under are a shoe rack and bins for gloves and hats. There is a coat rack at one end. I think it’s an 8’ bench. Found it for $40 bucks at an antique store.
Our laundry room is also right beside the back door so we have a two basin sink to contain all dirt/fertilizer.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
We have design one in our new house. You come in from a back door straight from the singletrack. We decided on 5-6 open cubes, a 48 inches bench and 60 inches enclosed cabinets with lower drawers. In our last mudroom we had hook for jackets, but we decided not to put any because they always ended up cluttered.
where do the shoes go?

Do you put all your outerwear inside the house then?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
We have one in our house just inside from the garage. We initially looked at getting a cubby area for each of us but the quotes we got for that were a big nope.

So instead we got a custom bench each with our name engraved into the seat area, shoe storage underneath and chunky coat hooks with a shelf above. Both from etsy. Most of the time we've just got bike gear in there. But there's fishing and winter gear mixed in depending on the season.

edit: Each also with a plastic shoe tray to put wet shoes on to, separate from the storage shelf under each bench.

edit2:
Hooks, used for helmets, camelbak, jackets etc, gloves up on top.

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Best mudroom I have ever used had laundry and a shower, sink and toilet.
It was the size of a decent bedroom. It was awesome and sure kept the house cleaner. Only downside was it was 20 odd degrees cooler than the rest of the house in the winter. Always wanted one, but never had the opportunity. I never understood why they were not more common.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
where do the shoes go?

Do you put all your outerwear inside the house then?
ahhh the shoes! Between the two of us we have more than 50 pairs of footwear. We do a rotation between summer/winter footwear. The off season shoes/boots goes into plastic bin and are for now stored in our extra room. The other footwear will go into those bottom drawers, and the ones mostly used and wet/damp will go under the bench. Having that many shoes and boots is hard to effectively manage.

Just to give you an idea;

XC ski boots his/hers
Fatbike boots
Trail running shoes his/and 3-4 pairs for hers
Outdoor winter boots, 2 pairs each
Clean "going out" boots his/hers

and we have no kids....

edit: skis/slowshoes/fatbike all are in the shed.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I am working on building this into the basement renovation project as we have an entrance to the basement. I will remove the old wooden steps that are broken and widen the steps. They will be made from the same tiles as the floor and trying to make them more safe when you have wet shoes. A lot of room for coats and gear. It's next to the laundry so you can quickly wash dirty clothes. I am also setting up benches so you can sit down and get boots and stuff off more easily. I will have trays under the bench for dirty shoes and the floor is heated so shoes will easily dry. I also have a shop vac close by so it's easy to clean up. Also thinking about putting in a robot vac. Installing plenty of good lighting.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Yeah, I had one in a place in France in a ski challet, kind of two zones: skis went in a rack outside then the very first bit when you came in was it was also a ‘wet-room’; you came in and there was a lower area with bench seating where you stripped boots and below the seats were upside down boot-racks and this mini showerhead type thing and a drain in the center so you could rinse off mud, it was aimed at ski boots but it worked for anything. They had a little tub with various brushes in. Then the next level was a little step up, wooden floor, more benches plus coat racks and cubbies. Could still get a bit wet and dirty but sweep all the crap into the wet area when you were done. Finally a step up to the door with carpet and a rack for house shoes. As well as normal heating for when the door was closed it also had an aggressive hot air blower and vent in the main area which dried it all out and just quickly made the space toasty for when you first got in. I would love a similar facility at my place.
That's pretty much the setup I had at the ski lodge, it works a treat.
When I finally build at the new place I'm planning on a wet/mud room being part of the design.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I cannot tell a lie, I did the same.
The title did not deliver.
Oh monkeys, where did it all go wrong...... I used to believe in you and your powers of perversion.
You changed man.
:nopity: :cray:
It's not my fault. All the Rochester Monkeys lost thier shit.