Quantcast

Muddy Marry Vertstar and Trailstar

Optimax150

Monkey
Aug 1, 2008
Japan
How much harder is the Trailstar then the Vertstar? I find the Vertstar too be to soft. After a few Rides I'm already seeing rounded knobs and chunks missing. My Maxxis ST42 lasted me awhile before the knobs degraded. I like the muddy marry just not the life.

Optimax150

Monkey
Aug 1, 2008
Japan
I think Verstar is firmer than SlowReezay, more like 42ST I guess.
Vertstar is softer than ST42. ST42 last a lot longer than the Vertstar for me. I just got the Vertstar for race tires. I want to ride muddy marry more, but I would destroy the Vertstar in a couple of days of hard riding. I want a compound that last as long as the ST42 which I think is there Trailstar. I'm just looking for other people's experience with the Vertstar and Trailstar.

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
I don't know about the verstar and the trailstar (though I have a pair of trailstars coming home right now) but I`m now running Muddy Marys with the ORC compound and it's quite hard but at the same time the wearing of the rubber is going really fast! I really hope this is only because it's the cheapest version of the Muddy Marys

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
If you're wearing the ORC compound, then I'd hazard a guess that you're skidding waaaay too much. I have a pair of ORC Alberts that I ran on my trail bike for 3 full seasons. They're a little rounded off now, but I still keep them around as a backup for when other tires fail. The ORC was scary on wet rocks, wood and roots, but it has amazing longevity IME.

I picked up a pair of Hans Dampf in Trail Star. I have about 5 xc rides on them so far (about 11-12 hours total). They have been amazing. I can't say enough about them. They are the grippiest xc tire I've ever used, even on wet leaf-covered rocks and roots. unreal.

I just picked up a Specialized Butcher for my DH bike, (which I think is a 42-duro rubber, dual-density over a 70 rubber base) and when I compare them side by side, it seems like the HD is a tad but less "grippy" than the Butcher, but very close. I'd say that the Trailstar compares favourably to Maxxis 3C (the DH version), and I'll wager that they'll last longer.

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
well, I try to skid the least as possible, it's no good for tires and terrain, I think it's more a problem of the terrain I ride in, rocky stuff with sharp and loose rocks everywhere and the fact that it's been the driest summer & fall ever doesn't help either...

Optimax150

Monkey
Aug 1, 2008
Japan
I think I will go ahead and try a set of Trailstar. I want a bigger tire anyways for the soft loose conditions anyways, 2.5 version instead of the 2.35

Optimax150

Monkey
Aug 1, 2008
Japan
Mounted my new Trailstar muddymarry, last week. It is quite a bit bigger than the 2.35, height wise also. Got a few rides in and still looks like new. With the Vertstar the center knobs were already being rounded and even pieces of rubber missing. I'm thinking they should last a lot longer. I also notice better traction with the bigger tire.