Quantcast

Muddy Mary vs DHF in wet

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I'm thinking of getting a set of winter tires and I'm too lazy to swap to full mud tires on rainy days. I'd rather just throw on some tires for winter then swap back to DHFs for dry weather. For those who've ridden both, how much better are the Muddy Mary's over DHFs in the wet? IE if DHFs are a 2 when it's wet are Muddy Mary's a 3 or a 4? I'm trying to see if it's worth it to me to drop that much cash on a set.

Terrain: Northern California - Pacifica, JM and Marin - clay, granite, loam

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Muddy marys performed way better in wet winter conditions. We rode boise and all over the nw in the winter (rain. Mud. Snow. Creeks. Loamy) and including dry runs at the bike park the muddy mary was flawless.... dhfs are great and i love that tire. Nothing bad to sat about it, loved the slowreezay compound.... but when it gets questionable the mms are solid for sure and clear well....

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I ride the MM and the DHF. The MM is better in the wet. The DHF gets it everywhere else IMO.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
I will probably get shot for this but I was facing a tire dilema for the rainy season this year. I was on the standard Minion/HR combo in dry conditions. Tried the Big Bettys and was blown away with the braking and then fitted a MM on the front. The front traction was much better with the MM front and there was still great braking on the rear with the BB. I was struggling to get the MM and DD from CRC in the right sizing and duro - they are always out of stock.
So I didnt want to go with the Wetscream since I ride a variety of trails with alot of them being hardpack. My home trail is forest and when its wet its like oil on the hard sections and the loose loam can pack up even the MM. During the week its hardpack hiking trails which are like oil again from the high clay content when wet but dont clog the tread. I figured the wetscream would work well on my home trails but destroy my hard work but then fold on the hardpack hiking trails. So I took a chance and went with Swampthings. After receicing them I suddenly read loads of negative reviews about them not really fitting in. Either minions and high rollers then straight to wetscreams seemed to be the norm.
I didnt fit them for the first half of the wet season and just waited a couple of days for the trails to dry a little. This became the norm and I guess I got lazy. I dont really like to ride my trails when its really wet as it just trashes the berms and jumps. So after the rain I ride the hiking trails, I am the only one doing maintenance so it can be painfull to look after 2 km of dirt.
Well I have not tried a wet tire before but the Swampthings were perfect to me. They stuck on the oily hardpack and rather than seeing the normal streaking lines I saw only dots from the tread. They cleared really well but the best part is they worked on hardpack, so I didnt have to chance wheels or tires for different conditions. Just slapped them on for the remainder of the wet season.

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
As much as I like the Swampthings, and they have a lot of similarity with MM - I find MM much more versatile, the swampy will walk around when the ground gets hard and feels quite vague. DHF is better in very few wet weather situations and the MM is better in lots of wet weather situations. I just finished a winter on MM and will do the same next winter. Just ordered Wicked will for summer, using up the last of my dhf/high rollers and then I'll try them too.

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
I spent the day tearing the trails apart (Muddy Mary users will know this is quite literally what happens) On MM's today, no worries about grip, soaking wet and great fun. Much better than the DHF's i ran last year

aj-monkey

Monkey
Oct 11, 2007
Squampton, BC
As much as I like the Swampthings, and they have a lot of similarity with MM - I find MM much more versatile, the swampy will walk around when the ground gets hard and feels quite vague. DHF is better in very few wet weather situations and the MM is better in lots of wet weather situations. I just finished a winter on MM and will do the same next winter. Just ordered Wicked will for summer, using up the last of my dhf/high rollers and then I'll try them too.
I agree. I absolutely love my swampthings for the wet conditions around here, but as soon as it dries out and firms up they can dance around a fair bit.

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
I agree. I absolutely love my swampthings for the wet conditions around here, but as soon as it dries out and firms up they can dance around a fair bit.
I found the Muddy Mary's handle better on roots and slickrock. I loved a new set of swampthings for soft dirt, but I found that they got rather unpredictable as soon as you threw anything else into the mix.

I have been running the Muddy Mary's all fall and they are working out great. Great in the wet. Not overly slow in the semi dry.

I doubt it's much the same in California, but up here when it gets wet you get a big build up of black organic mud in some of the corners. On a DHF I have to take care to make sure my tires dont' wash. The Muddy Marys hook up much better.

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
Are you guys running the 2.35 or the 2.5 Muddy Marry - i mean the 2.5 is imense compared to a 2.5 Minion.

Until now i only have ridden Minions, Highrollers and wetsreams, but an intermediate tire woul be good to have!

Has anyone ridden an Speci Hillbilly, should be similiar to the MM.

redride

Monkey
Sep 23, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
MM hands down! way better than Minnions in the wet and as said/mentioned better on slick rocks n roots... not that slower than a minnion. in fact i seem to think they are a bit faster... wears fast in the GG if ridden in the dry!

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Are you guys running the 2.35 or the 2.5 Muddy Marry - i mean the 2.5 is imense compared to a 2.5 Minion.

Until now i only have ridden Minions, Highrollers and wetsreams, but an intermediate tire woul be good to have!

For the Schwalbe MM's most guys run the 2.35. This size casing from Schwalbe is very close to a Maxxis 2.5.

My buddy jvnixon rode the Hillbillies at the GES Finals and his impression of them was similar to that of most spikes: They hook up tremendously in loam/soft mud/wet grass/loose dirt with some gravel, (not bad on hard pack for a spike) BUT over the rocks wet or dry they tend to get a bit sketchy. By this he meant that braking and traction become greatly reduced.

The Spesh 2.3" casing size that is used for the HB and the Storm are definitely smaller than a Maxxis 2.5". I did a side by side comparison between his HillBilly and my Minion DHF 2.5 and the HB was definitely narrower. As far as section height is concerned (sidewall width) I have no idea, but jvnixon was pretty stoked on them over the soft stuff.

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
For the Schwalbe MM's most guys run the 2.35. This size casing from Schwalbe is very close to a Maxxis 2.5.

My buddy jvnixon rode the Hillbillies at the GES Finals and his impression of them was similar to that of most spikes: They hook up tremendously in loam/soft mud/wet grass/loose dirt with some gravel, (not bad on hard pack for a spike) BUT over the rocks wet or dry they tend to get a bit sketchy. By this he meant that braking and traction become greatly reduced.

The Spesh 2.3" casing size that is used for the HB and the Storm are definitely smaller than a Maxxis 2.5". I did a side by side comparison between his HillBilly and my Minion DHF 2.5 and the HB was definitely narrower. As far as section height is concerned (sidewall width) I have no idea, but jvnixon was pretty stoked on them over the soft stuff.
Thanx a lot, i will give the MM in 2,35 a try. The hillbillies are super expensive over here, i get two MMs for on Hillbilly=case closed

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003

Running 2.35. Its still larger then my 2.5 Minion DHF.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I've had no luck finding 2.35 Muddy Marys in Gooey Glooey. Seems like they're out of stock until the Verstar versions show up next year. Luckily, Swampthing 2.5 STs are on sale right now for $20 at BlueSkyCycling and iCyclesUSA. If you need something soon grab a set.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Got my stock of mms still btw I raced the fontanna races bone.dry dusty hard pack and they hook up amazing. 2.5 mms gg are versatile tires for sure. Ronnie (marzocchi) and I were talking about them at the races and he has a bunch of.them some modified for.dry hard pack but he loves them..

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
No one asked but specialized clutch fit the bill.
I've been running Clutch's all year, but now that the wet mud has come they are showing the only weakness I've seen in them. They are "ok" in the muck but seem to pack up quickly and won't clear out as good as a Minion (back to back rides on the same trail)

I'm steering towards Muddy Mary's or maybe Conti Der Baron's for this winter season.