Quantcast

Mulch Jump

fatkid

Chimp
Jun 18, 2007
I'm thinking about building a mulch tranny like the one Alex Reveles has on Drop In(but about half the size) . Any tips or suggestions? Should i get mulch, or that chip kind of stuff?

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I'd SOOOO love to hit that thing... I like how it gives the opt to ride out if you can. SO much sh!t I wanna try but can't afford to learn the Man's Way. I wonder what two dumptruck loads of wood chips runs these days...

KevinR86

Chimp
Aug 13, 2006
Williamsburg VA
dude if you go around to job sites where people are clearing trees, you can probably get wood chips free. i used to give away tandem loads of chips when i did clearing work.

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
Wood chips are free. Just go ask the right people. Building a frame and a launch for a mulch is only around $150.

pain

Monkey
Mar 15, 2006
yeah chips are free mostly. Alot of tree people here have trouble getting rid of them because there are basically no legal places to dump them here

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
seems like you might want something finer then wood chips. anybody have one? zach what did they have for material in that one?

fatkid

Chimp
Jun 18, 2007
how soft are they, soft enough to try new stuff into? I know they're not foam pits but are they softer than dirt?

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
how soft are they, soft enough to try new stuff into? I know they're not foam pits but are they softer than dirt?
They are pretty soft. I wrecked hard a few times. In dirt i would have been fycked up on the same crash, but in the mulch, it was all good.

KevinR86

Chimp
Aug 13, 2006
Williamsburg VA
yeah wood chips are definately softer than loose dirt, but mulch, which is shredded wood is softer than wood chips. however, mulch is not free and you would would have to go to a landscaping store, or a place like tractor supply to get mulch, and its usally not super cheap.

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
You people are thinking waaaaaaaaaayyyyy too far into this.

The tuff they sell at the store is made out of hardwood, so it lasts long. If you find a tree or landscape company you'll be able to get some wood chips/mulch for free.