Quantcast

Mullet Madness

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
in progress picture of the bikepark mullet I am building for my 12 years old
20230223_181329.jpg

The frame is a 2015 medium 27.5" Trance with 140mm of travel. Now with the 26" rear wheel the bb sits at 325mm. 64° head angle with the fork at 140mm and a -2° angleset. Reach is around 420mm which might be a bit long for him, to be confirmed after a test ride once brakes and drivetrain are on.

Does anyone knows if a Debonair air can on the rear shock would be better for a lightweight rider compared to the standard can? He is around 45kg / 100lbs

Last edited:

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
in progress picture of the bikepark mullet I am building for my 12 years old
View attachment 190008
The frame is a 2015 medium 27.5" Trance with 140mm of travel. Now with the 26" rear wheel the bb sits at 325mm. 64° head angle with the fork at 140mm and a -2° angleset. Reach is around 420mm which might be a bit long for him, to be confirmed after a test ride once brakes and drivetrain are on.

Does anyone knows if a Debonair air can on the rear shock would be better for a lightweight rider compared to the standard can? He is around 45kg / 100lbs
Afaik, on some sizes a 200x57 shock could be installed and travel increased by ~15 mm by doing so. Maybe a good option for a park bike. The lev ratio curve is a linear progressive one according to Toni Osuna, going from 3.05 to 2.60. A bigger can with a less progressive air spring should work for your boy. Vorsprung Corset maybe? I loved mine in a similar travel bike.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Thanks @Flo33 :cheers:
I am afraid that the corset days are over... the debonair can should do the trick tho.

Indeed the travel can be extended.
I am passively looking for a second hand 200x57 shock. Too bad the actual shock wasn't travel limited. It would have been easier to just remove some spacers! But it will be fine with 140mm of travel to start with

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I am afraid that the corset days are over... the debonair can should do the trick tho.

I am passively looking for a second hand 200x57 shock. Too bad the actual shock wasn't travel limited. It would have been easier to just remove some spacers! But it will be fine with 140mm of travel to start with
I got a 200*57 Van RC and an RP23. Yours for the postage if you want.
And shoot Steve an email, perhaps he has some stock left.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004

If Flo33's shock doesn't work out, I have a similar RS shock in that size. Shipping cost and some beer money if you want it.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
might still even have my adress
Yes I do. So which one you wanna have? The RP23 has a large volume can but a relatively small neg chamber, might still do the trick with the progressive lev curve of the Trance and the low weight. It's the unholy Boost Valve variant though but all Kashumbawamba gold.

RP23.jpg

Apr 19, 2023
Hi.

My first post. I converted my 2019 Santa Cruz Hightower V1 to mullet. I ran with the original 135mm link (high position) with one offset bushing inverted in the upper bolt. The Offset sleeve has not spun during 6 months of riding and bottoming out the stock Fox DPS with 260psi and largest volume spacer. No locktite, just an offset sleeve with IGUS Bushing:thumb:

Now I'm testing with Outsider bikes Missing Link with 210x52.5mm shock. ~140mm travel on the rear (lower position), 150mm fork with 44mm rake . BB around ~335mm with the link + inverted bushing. Tires Schwalbe 2.4 on 30mm ID rims f/r.

I have ordered a Slack-R kit. With that, BB height should be around 337mm, same as stock 29" with 140mm fork. Head angle should be around 64,5° with 150mm fork, I might try 140mm to keep the bike nimble.
Very fun bike to ride and jib around, needs 165mm cranks though. I hope my calculations are correct haha:sarcastic:

oght.jpg

Apr 19, 2023
Hi.

My first post. I converted my 2019 Santa Cruz Hightower V1 to mullet. I ran with the original 135mm link (high position) with one offset bushing inverted in the upper bolt. The Offset sleeve has not spun during 6 months of riding and bottoming out the stock Fox DPS with 260psi and largest volume spacer. No locktite, just an offset sleeve with IGUS Bushing:thumb:

Now I'm testing with Outsider bikes Missing Link with 210x52.5mm shock. ~140mm travel on the rear (lower position), 150mm fork with 44mm rake . BB around ~335mm with the link + inverted bushing. Tires Schwalbe 2.4 on 30mm ID rims f/r.

I have ordered a Slack-R kit. With that, BB height should be around 337mm, same as stock 29" with 140mm fork. Head angle should be around 64,5° with 150mm fork, I might try 140mm to keep the bike nimble.
Very fun bike to ride and jib around, needs 165mm cranks though. I hope my calculations are correct haha:sarcastic:

View attachment 192682
Update on the project, 165mm cranks and slack-r kit installed. Rides super nice, so easy to manual corners with those short cranks:rofl: . BB just shy under 340mm (measured from both sides).
IMG_5469.JPG

Last edited:

richt2000

Chimp
Sep 25, 2021
69C7059C-D9A7-468F-81E1-B861C6C2CCA8.jpeg

Been riding a Vitus Escarpe 2023, flip chip in high, 150mm fork. In mullet format it slackens seat angle to 77 degrees and head angle to 64 degrees. Rides amazing. BB low but still fine at 330mm.
Vitus say that it is mullet compatible, and it sure is.

OG poster - you are missing Vitus Sommet 297 off your list also.

richt2000

Chimp
Sep 25, 2021
Noticed that all WeAreOne Composites Arrival frames 130, 152 and 170mm are all mullet compatible now.

plus Atherton AM170 is a mullet

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Did I miss the devinci chainsaw in this thread? And the fezzari le sal peak?

one thing I noticed, none of the high pivot enduro bikes have factory mullet options. Except the dreadnought if you’re in Canada (USA store doesn’t offers it with the 27.5” rear as a compete bike) and the chainsaw (but only in the DH configuration).

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Did I miss the devinci chainsaw in this thread? And the fezzari le sal peak?

one thing I noticed, none of the high pivot enduro bikes have factory mullet options. Except the dreadnought if you’re in Canada (USA store doesn’t offers it with the 27.5” rear as a compete bike) and the chainsaw (but only in the DH configuration).
Slash is mullet from factory
20231015_095156.jpg

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Wife and I did some climbing and rocks the other day..when it hits the nasty stuff I stand anywase and push pedal the shit...I don't sit and climb tech ,and noticed no kickback maybe cause I'm standing and not in saddle...but I have no complaints ..it's a fast bike and I didn't buy it to tech climb that's the hightowers job...

I'm not into it enough to warrant placebo effect
.I'll make $ on it, I prefer to ride that way so I can ride it and if I don't like it quick sell...but I am never feeling like I have to like it cause I am stuck....

That said the bike rips...it's actually pretty damn fun.

Wonder if the lower pulley is locking chain on ring and by reducing the pull on der it's transferring to pedal.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
That is one benefit of the o-chain I really notice on chunky climbs like that.
It keeps the bike from getting hung up and stalling out.

Don't worry, O-Chains got ya!
View attachment 202193
Lol the picture is hilarious.... considering the back and forth on it that's awesome...well played....
Buckow and I were going back and forth on engagement of hubs as well for feedback and I see where he's coming from I like my i9 but I may pull 3 pawls out to give it some play.

Last edited:

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
In case anyone's wondering, I stopped updating the OP list because pretty much every company (except Yeti lol) makes at least 1 mullet bike now. There's lots to choose from, and even some that don't suck!

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Wife and I did some climbing and rocks the other day..when it hits the nasty stuff I stand anywase and push pedal the shit...I don't sit and climb tech ,and noticed no kickback maybe cause I'm standing and not in saddle...but I have no complaints ..it's a fast bike and I didn't buy it to tech climb that's the hightowers job...

I'm not into it enough to warrant placebo effect
.I'll make $ on it, I prefer to ride that way so I can ride it and if I don't like it quick sell...but I am never feeling like I have to like it cause I am stuck....

That said the bike rips...it's actually pretty damn fun.

Wonder if the lower pulley is locking chain on ring and by reducing the pull on der it's transferring to pedal.
i certainly wouldn’t buy it for climbing either, but there’s still a lot of slowish tech in east cost bike parks and that’s what I’m really looking for as an improvement in a mullet bike over my old 2016 gambler.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
i certainly wouldn’t buy it for climbing either, but there’s still a lot of slowish tech in east cost bike parks and that’s what I’m really looking for as an improvement in a mullet bike over my old 2016 gambler.
I can't think of 1 bike I have ever had and not got hung up at the 12 o clock position...that's why I stand or time my pedal strokes...
But yeah I see what your saying, I didn't notice it at all, we have 2 sections that are square edge and ruts not massive sets but not short either...those 2 spots have given me shit on all bikes so I stand and navigate them ...usually a wheel hanging up and throwing my weight forward is my demise and or I overstress a muscle trying not to be that guy lol.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
I think it's just a 12mm drop for a low side of standard 342mm BB height.

It would be weird if it was 366mm BB height, that's tall

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
I think it's just a 12mm drop for a low side of standard 342mm BB height.

It would be weird if it was 366mm BB height, that's tall

Normally negative bb drop means the bb is above the centerline of the axle axis and positive is below. Unless flipping the sign is just some weird UK thing. I just did some quick math here and I’m getting a 12mm drop to be 350 or a 12mm rise to be the astronomical 372.

Last edited: