Quantcast

Multi Tool of Choice?

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
i 've been using the topeak alien for a few years now woth great sucess. I also use a leatherman wave just about everyday but not for my bike... at work

Darkreaper

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Away in the head
Topeak hummer in my saddle pack, and a Leatherman Wave on my belt. Ready for anything!

I'm not suprised that the Park multitools are cheap, they probably want you to buy everything separately...

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
For general purpose multitools, I like the gerber stuff like you posted.

For bike multitools, I use a topeak alien... had it for about 4 years and still going strong. Only real complaint is that the chain tool doesn't have a stop on it, so you can push a pin all the way through if you're not watching what you're doing.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Like my Gerber multitools, hate my Crank Bros. bike tool. The metal on it is so ridiculously soft that it rounded out and twisted the allens within a few uses, and the keys themselves are so short and nubby that you can hardly reach a bolt on most bikes when you're dealing with anything aside from a stem or top cap.

Topeak Alien was the best tool I ever used...all three of them, which I managed to lose. But I can't seem to lose this damned Crank Bros

MD

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I like the Crank Bros Multi-17. I have not had any issues with the metal being soft. Then again, I don't really use it all that often...only for on-trail emergencies which I am fortunate enough to avoid most of the time.

trailblazer

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Jamaica
i broke both crank bro. multi's. The rod breaks.
I use a park multi with an 8 tap...and a chain breaker ,,,,..and my leatherman.

my second fav is can o big air.

multi tools basically blow. They are too wierd and small and clumsy. I much prefer an allen set by park. They are light and just as small and the "L" shape fits in places the multi's do not and you get more torque.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Big_Papa1080 said:
if your talking everyday carrying, i dont have a multi-tool, just this
Yea, my multitools are sport specific, so to speak. The topeak I only carry when biking (surprise surprise), and the gerber I only carry when fishing. For everday carrying, I have spyderco dyad jr.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I have a Crank Bros. Multi-17. Haven't used it that much myself, but I seem to be lending it out on rides a lot ;) It's nice although it has rusted (not completely), and the chain breaker on it sucks(very hard to use).

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

I can used this to inject EPO and other performance enhancing drugs, then heroin for a post victory fix...

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
trailblazer said:
rite on.
i found a blue CPR 13 years ago in the middle of nowhere and it has given me good luck for years now.
one time I fell off a bike trail bridge into a river and found a fishing pole (it was quite the score)

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
MikeD said:
Topeak Alien was the best tool I ever used.
:stupid:

Before I had a decent home tool kit, the Alien was all I used for bike maintenance, and it ruled. Now it only gets used on the trail, but it's a great tool to have with you. It's even got tire levers on it!