Quantcast

%*% Munge dray GMT %*%

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Good Morning!!

A beautiful sunny morning for the commute in today. The emails sitting in the inbox here at work are overwhelming...I'll be lucky to get through half of them today.

A fantastic holiday was had...everyone is all still on speaking terms and no divorce papers were served, so I'm chalking Thanksgiving 2017 up as a win.

Good thought of the day:
"Raise your words, not your voice - it's the rain that grows the flowers and not the thunder."
-Rumi

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin!

Decent break, no family for either the wife or I within a thousand miles so we hiked a bunch and hung out with the dogs.

Speaking of which, Rigby came hobbling in the door last night when we got back from grocery shopping and is still refusing to really use that leg. Gonna watch it over the next few days to see if maybe its's just a sprained ankle or if he did something more serious. Darn dog. :(

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Hello all. Warm enough to wear shorts on the ride in, I figure.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Working from home until I drop the car at the shop this morning, finally getting the nose repainted. Smoked turkey Friday night was my favorite but also a pain in the ass. Second turkey Saturday was also really good and I was very happy with the result. 18 hours in brine followed by 5.5 hours roasting for a 20# bird was really good. Then a buddy sent me a 2 hour turkey method that I am dying to try, only I won't be needing or wanting much for turkey once these left overs are gone.

All and all a very nice weekend, but very wet 2 of the 4 days off.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
quiet Monday so far. I know I will pay for writing that. rode in the snow on my new winter commuter. It's a bit short, the top tube is a bit high, and the gearing is a bit tall... but I think it will work. worst case, I sell it next year and get something that fits better. Can't wait for the fenders to come in though...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
When I bought my current house I knew it had moisture issues in the basement, but I didn't know why. After a heaving rain water builds up on one side and is taken care of by a sump pump in the corner. Not a huge issue other than the high humidity and risk of mildew.

Yesterday after a heavy rain I saw why it was flooding, water comes up out of the drain in the stair well. Best as I can figure the house had a now abandoned drainage system with clay pipes that have long since collapsed. One side of the pipe still drains water but had no where to go as the other side is filled with dirt. Going to try and block up the side with water coming in and hope the sump will sufficiently limit water pressure around the foundation.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
morning folks. holiday weekend wasn't very enjoyable courtesy of 2 sick kids. no riding was done. did manage to install a new faucet in the kitchen. other than that not a whole heck of a lot. stayed up late watching the steelers/packers game last night, hungover today.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Fix the car?
the dealer did, yes. apparently the muppets were on duty at pepboys when we took it in and somehow didn't push the fuses all the way back in. service manager said that this was definitely just crappy service from pepboys. wife called pep boys and complained and convinced them to cover the service charge from the dealership.

When I bought my current house I knew it had moisture issues in the basement, but I didn't know why. After a heaving rain water builds up on one side and is taken care of by a sump pump in the corner. Not a huge issue other than the high humidity and risk of mildew.

Yesterday after a heavy rain I saw why it was flooding, water comes up out of the drain in the stair well. Best as I can figure the house had a now abandoned drainage system with clay pipes that have long since collapsed. One side of the pipe still drains water but had no where to go as the other side is filled with dirt. Going to try and block up the side with water coming in and hope the sump will sufficiently limit water pressure around the foundation.
No option to repair foundation drains?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
No option to repair foundation drains?
That would required digging up all the old clay pipe that runs around the foundation, including portions that are under a 65 year old slab on grade extension. To further complicate things, this system seems to connect to the home's original below basement grade sewer pipe, which was abandoned long ago. The new sewer connection exits the house about 2 feet up from the basement floor, so I would have to get the water uphill somehow. Way more work and $$ than I am looking to spend.

The plug is more of a temporary solution. I think the best long term solution is to cut up the slab where the drain is and put in a sump with grating. This is the bottom of an outdoor stairwell that acts as the entry way into the basement. This is probably what should have been done instead of the current sump installation, I suspect the previous owners did not understand what was causing the flooding. This is more of a summer project as I don't want to be digging holes that have water actively flowing into them and risk undermining dirt that supports the concrete stairs and retaining wall.

That would required digging up all the old clay pipe that runs around the foundation, including portions that are under a 65 year old slab on grade extension. To further complicate things, this system seems to connect to the home's original below basement grade sewer pipe, which was abandoned long ago. The new sewer connection exits the house about 2 feet up from the basement floor, so I would have to get the water uphill somehow. Way more work and $$ than I am looking to spend.

The plug is more of a temporary solution. I think the best long term solution is to cut up the slab where the drain is and put in a sump with grating. This is the bottom of an outdoor stairwell that acts as the entry way into the basement. This is probably what should have been done instead of the current sump installation, I suspect the previous owners did not understand what was causing the flooding. This is more of a summer project as I don't want to be digging holes that have water actively flowing into them and risk undermining dirt that supports the concrete stairs and retaining wall.
The joys of home ownership...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Still looking at bikes and due to prices, it still looks like a good used is the best bet. Unsure how the whole job situation is currently (high level company changes afoot) so I have been sending out a few apps just for fun. I really don't want to change teh jorb, but the stress level here is slowly killing me. The irony being this shouldn't be a stressful job. :rofl:

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Heckled an e-biker on the trails on Saturday. He was much butt hurt, I was much amused :cray::banana:

Still looking at bikes and due to prices, it still looks like a good used is the best bet. Unsure how the whole job situation is currently (high level company changes afoot) so I have been sending out a few apps just for fun. I really don't want to change teh jorb, but the stress level here is slowly killing me. The irony being this shouldn't be a stressful job. :rofl:
When work starts stressing me out I just increase my dosage of idongiveafuckatall™. Talk to you doctor and see if you can get a prescription.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
the dealer did, yes. apparently the muppets were on duty at pepboys when we took it in and somehow didn't push the fuses all the way back in. service manager said that this was definitely just crappy service from pepboys. wife called pep boys and complained and convinced them to cover the service charge from the dealership.
Awesome that they are going o cover it. They should since it was then that caused it.

Electrical stuff.... Always check basics first. Including battery connection and fuses.

Sounds like after they disconnected the battery, they did not take the time to verify it was all good and correct, that is a no no. Always test drive and verify when relieving your PCM and BCM of power.

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Last edited: