Quantcast

Music at the Trailhead?

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
...or etiquette at the trailhead...

I went for a ride early Saturday to beat the heat. Guy and his bud pull up next to me. Driver proceeds to "rock" some really lame music at probably 3/4 volume. I just about said something to the affect of "Please turn your radio down, thanks!", but decided it wasn't worth the aggravation. Even if it was music that I thought was worth listening to, I would have found his blaring radio rude to the other users.

Anyway once I left the trailhead the lame pseudo folk/hippy music stayed behind and I had a great ride.

So do I "Suck it up, Princess" or was I justified in being put out by his loud music?

Discuss.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i'd say just get prepped as fast as possible and hit the trail. chances are high he's not gonna turn down his Dave Mathews Band dreck.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Meh... people bast crap at our trailhead all the time. I'd take hippy folk rock over Linkin Park or some other random punk/pop band that are always being blared by the 'extreme' crowd that frequent the trailhead.

Doesnt bother me long... Bike comes off the rack... gloves, helmet, camelback go on... 60 seconds and Im out... 100 seconds and I'm out of range of the ear garbage and all I can hear are rocks pinging off my downtube, tires crunching the dirt and rocks, and the musical 'fshh... sss' sounds of my suspension at work. And when I get back I'll be so tired and sweaty I wont care about any BS music blaring.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The races at Ski Bowl blast this awful radio station and I had to do my race run with Hootie and the Blowfish stuck in my head.

I can relate and feel your pain. It's times like yesterday that make racing with an iPod seem like a great idea.

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
yeah, I have always thought this to be a little dickheadish, I mean, just because you like some gay ass RAWK N ROLL/PUNK/HIP HOP, doesn't mean that everyone at the parking lot likes it also. Keep it turned to a modest volume and folks like me won't think you're a spode

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
LOOnatic said:
Well some of the trails i ride have sensitive areas around them, ie pissy neighbors oe whatever so blasting music is inviting closure of a good place.
Blah,blah......preaching trailhead etiquette :nopity:
well, now that you mention it, talk about the other trail faux-pas, smoking at the trailhead. stupid in my opinion.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Dirty Jersey Warriors are by far the biggest offenders of this trend. Everytime I have been to Diablo/ Mt. Snow etc.... big jeeps full of angry tattooed core huckers pull up blasting their hardcore until their battery runs out. Its a sight to behold.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
I think it's rude too. But I have been on the other side.... I have a friend that continues to blast his totally lame music when we get to the trail head. I'm very non-confrontational and I don't say anything. I'm just emberrassed that other people associate me with the friend who is blasting the music.

It's worse at ski resorts though. Everyone shows up blasting their hieroglyphics or other bro-brah rap. I just get my gear on and hurry off so I don't have to listen to it.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
narlus said:
i crank air supply and barbra striesand in the DH lots...no one wants to park next to me.
Personally I go for Europe, everyone loves to hear the "Final Countdown" on race day, its so fitting:rofl:

I guess "wind beneath my wings" would work for a slopestyle event:rofl:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
sanjuro said:
well, now that you mention it, talk about the other trail faux-pas, smoking at the trailhead. stupid in my opinion.
I found it funny that this chick at the races yesterday got on the podium with a cig in her teeth. She took 2nd out of 2 racers in the womens begginer open class to a 14 year old (she was like 40).

I don't mind the beer in hand, but can you wait until after getting your medal to light up a well deserved after race smoke?

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I had an issue closely related to this one...

not only did this guy in a raised up jeep CJ blare crappy music he proceded to yell profanities at the top of his lungs over the crappy music. The lot we park in is used not only by cyclists but also dog walkers, hikers, and since it is an elementary school parking lot, a lot of parents bring their little ones to play at the park.

I gave the guy a look the first time he yelled the F'word in amongst some other profanities.... he just glared back, said something under his breath and chuckled to his friend. A minute later a guy in a jacked up Excursion with lo-Pro tires on chrome 22's pulled in, and the three guys proceded to yell stuff back and forth. I noticed a couple coming with a couple little kids, and I went over and asked the guy to turn down the "Godsmack" and please quit using the language... I was surprised that the guy complied without a fight. It still pissed me off that they didn't realize the errors in their ways prior to me pointing it out for them!

so say something if you are not pleased with their musical selection. Just ask nicely and if you dont get what you want be ready to ride when you get to the spot.

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
IDk I can deff see respect at trail heads, to not get it closed yata yata, but I love how the whole thread is loaded, with "the guy came in with his crappy music blarring" yea no $hit evryone has different tastes in music, but c'mon now, I can understand completly outragous music, thats just being an asshole, but if some has some music playing then get the hell over it.

I roll in with music playing, not blarring by any means and some people just give u this look of complete and utter stuck up assholeness, like this is my trail what do u think ur doing. Particularrly, XC racers who are there to kick some ass and take the trail by storm (not saying all XC riders are assholes) but c'mon now when will it end,

treat others with respect, if someone asks me to turn my music down then yea I will no problem by me. It basically just don't be an asshole about it and things will work out

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I like to pull up the trail head rawk-n Wagner's - Flight of the Valkyries...

Cuz Charlie don't mountain bike!!!

Bum-pa-pa-pa-bum-paaaa...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
N8 said:

alternatively, you could select The Clash's "Charlie Don't Surf" from the much-maligned yet misunderstood minor masterpiece _Sandanista!_

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
N8 said:

Didnt think I would ever say this, but...:stupid: