Quantcast

Music downloading creates listener apathy

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Is it the music downloading or the crap music that's being marketed today?

Music downloading creates listener apathy
Jan 10 11:44 AM US/Eastern

Internet downloading and MP3 players are creating a generation of people who do not seriously appreciate songs or musical performances, British researchers said.

"The accessibility of music has meant that it is taken for granted and does not require a deep emotional commitment once associated with music appreciation," said music psychologist Adrian North on Tuesday.

North led a team from the University of Leicester, central England, that monitored 346 people over two weeks to evaluate how they related to music.

They concluded that because of greater accessibility through mass media, music was nowadays seen more as a commodity that is produced, distributed and consumed like any other.

It could also account for the popularity of television talent competitions, particularly in Britain, which allow viewers from the "iPod generation" a rare chance to engage and appreciate music and live performances, they suggested.

"In the 19th century, music was seen as a highly valued treasure with fundamental and near-mystical powers of human communication," said North.

"The pace of technological change has accelerated further over the last 20 years or so and these fundamental changes in the nature of musical experience and value have arguably become even more pronounced.

"Because so much music of different styles and genres is now so widely available via portable MP3 players and the internet, it is arguable that people now actively use music in everyday listening contexts to a much greater extent than ever before.

"The degree of accessibility and choice has arguably led to a rather passive attitude towards music heard in everyday life.

"In short, our relationship to music in everyday life may well be complex and sophisticated, but it is not necessarily characterised by deep emotional investment."

The academic's assessment follows a warning last week from rock legend Pete Townshend, The Who guitarist, that listening to rock music on an MP3 player through headphones could cause deafness.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Internet downloading and MP3 players are creating a generation of people who do not seriously appreciate songs or musical performances, British researchers said.
i would substitute "anticipation" w/ "appreciation"...the amount of music flooding the shelves is staggering, and increasing every year. it's very hard to keep on top of, and really dig into a particular release, because there's always something else coming (or older stuff from 1 to 40 years ago which i'd never heard the 1st time).

at least that's true for me.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
The problem (for me) is two fold. a) Most new music coming out is sh!t & b) everything that isn't sh!t is overplayed until you hate it.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Tenchiro said:
The problem (for me) is two fold. a) Most new music coming out is sh!t & b) everything that isn't sh!t is overplayed until you hate it.
sounds like you need some new info channels..

check out _Home For Orphans_ by The Reigning Sound. :thumb:

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Tenchiro said:
And then it's used fora comercial...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
yes, but filtering that can be tiring...not everyone wants to be a critic and wade through the detritus while searching for the good stuff...that's what independent labels do best...they define a particular sound for their label and if you like some of their releases, you may have a higher than average chance of liking other stuff on the roster. of course, that's not true of all indies, but consider:

touch and go - punk rock
amphetamine reptile - pigf#ck/hardcore
estrus/in the red/get hip/crypt/bomp! - garage
warp/ninja tune/basic channel/leaf - electronic
sarah/slumberland - twee pop
relapse/neurot/southern lord - dark metal
siltbreeze/majora - f'd up psych/noise
PSF - japanese overdrive
RRRecords - noise

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
DRB said:
That's what i thought. And how exactly does it make us apathetic....
apathetic is definitely the wrong word...i'd say either distracted or non-focused.

seriously, remember when you were seriously all excited for when a certain record was gonna come out, and you played that bugger till the grooves were worn out?

it doesn't happen much anymore.

another casualty of the mp3 generation is the lack of a meaningful buying experience. in the 90s, one of my favorite things was browsing in record stores. if i was in a different city, the 1st thing i'd do is to scan the Yellow Pages for interesting stores. you never knew what obscure stuff you'd run into, or that particular record you'd been searching for for years.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
narlus said:
sounds like you need some new info channels..

check out _Home For Orphans_ by The Reigning Sound. :thumb:
I have not heard of them, but luckily we have kexp in Seattle, and they do play some pretty good stuff on occasion.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I don't think there's anything wrong with getting your music in the form of an MP3. Sure, you're missing the linear notes and sometimes some art or group pictures, but lyrics and band info. is more accessible now via the internet. For me, an MP3 is great because, as a young person who doesn't have much room and who's moved around a lot, it's nice to have your whole music collection on a computer rather than several shelves. That was always the hardest part of moving--trying to box up the CD collection.

Let's face it, everything is moving into a new digital realm, even books and magazines. It's not surprising that music will as well. And then in 10, 20 years, everyone will remember how great CDs were and start buying them again, just like they've started doing with records.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i'm not arguing that the format of music is changing irreversibly, just lamenting it.

it sucked enough when the artwork shrank from 144 sq in to 25...but the convenience of cds is definitely much greater than vinyl, and mp3s (or whatever digital format you prefer) are more convenient than cds, for reasons you listed. hell, i've spent a lot of time (over a year) putting my collection onto a computer. :dead:

but, i still buy and play lps from time to time

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
BuddhaRoadkill said:
That would be art's [music's] antithesis.

: pretentious: :p
not sure what you are getting at; that art (in which i definitely include music) is pretentious? or that artists don't want their art widely available or accessible?