Quantcast

Music in My Truck

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Like the title says, for the last 10 years or so I've had a 1st Gen Ipod Nano that was plugged into an FM transmitter. The transmitter kept the Nano charged, which was awesome. Also, I live in a semi rural area so I always have good reception on a few of the channels. Whenever I travel into cities I lose it, but meh, fuck the big cities, I don't get out often.

My ipod died a few months ago and I have been relying on cd's to keep the tunes going. Theres so much music on my harddrive I am not tapping into anymore.

What are my options today? Can I trust the ebay 1st Gen Nano's? I am thinking the easiest thing is to find the same thing and keep going with something I know works. Is there a better solution these days? I am wary of buying current model ipod since I guarantee it will force me to update the Itunes on my non-internet connected music/image machine.

I figure some of you monkies have more knowledge than me. I'm looking for a device that can provide me 8-10 gigs of shufflable storage and playback in my truck, while maintaining a charge. It helps to also play individual albums and playlists generated on the desktop.

tl/dr

My ipod nano 1stgen died and I need to replace it without giving into the most modern BS.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i had a first gen nano, currently have a 4th gen. i'd recommend a newer one because if nothing else there's way more storage capacity (more music), and they can easily be found cheap (albeit second hand)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
what version of itunes do you have? per apple support the 5th gen requires at least itunes version 9. 3rd gen nano requires itunes 7.4 or later.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Do you have phone with enough storage space? You could use a chromecast audio and just stream from the phone.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I'm on iTunes 7.?

Not looking to use my phone to stream music, I drain the battery enough as it is.

If I could use my USB or audio jack to play off a dedicated device and keep it charged at the same time I would jump on that for the increased quality and consistency.

I have been listening to the same 3 cd's for 3 months now.

Edward Sharpe, Funkdoobiest, and the Congos. My two year old is starting to sing along to lots of these albums and I think it's time to get back to the constant shuffle of 10 gigs of musac.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
What is a head unit?

This setup plugs into my ciggy lighter adapter and was flawless for a decade. The ipod looks good, stays charged, just the dial is dead so I can't hit play.

16270.jpeg

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
It's really not hard to install. Get a dash kit and wiring harness and it's maybe 1-2 he job even if you literally have no idea how to do it. Plus YouTube.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
My ipod nano 1stgen died and I need to replace it without giving into the most modern BS.

buy old android phone off ebay/craigslist.....i'm using a six year old htc for music....open up your itunes music file...drag and drop.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
My truck has a USB jack, I'll see what happens when I stab in a stick with music. That'd be really easy. I'll look into the used phone @stevew

Thanks for the suggestions.
If it has a USB jack, it's almost a guarantee it will read files, but they might have to be a certain format. Also, some are more picky than others on format of the drive and organization, like files in folders. Usually having stuff in folders makes it easier to navigate if you care. If you want to just roll with it on random all the time and press forward if you don't want to listen to something, you should be able to plug in and jam.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Depending what year the head unit is, it may or may not work. Newer ones will probably read damn near anything.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
My FoMoCo Sony audio can rearrange an Albums-formatted USB to keep things fresh on short or long road trips - I just format to Windows Pro and FAT32 Partition. Even w/ highest of sound quality (bit-rates) - that's a shake-of-the-fingers worth of music. 20gig in use and over 60 complete albums of music.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
what about an older ipod? I'm running the same generation as you, except it's a 60gb hard drive version. directly plugged into my car, never leaves. pretty robust little unit. bought it off craigslist years ago.

otherwise a new head unit and sd card would be money....and save money.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I am going to try the usb. @Sandwich your old iPod is directly feeding the stereo and being charged on the same connection?

Unfortunately anything requiring formatting files and Bluetooth won't be compatible with me. Remember I am a farmer.

I am driving a 2014 f150, just cleared 60k today and have had it for 2 years and 2 weeks.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
yea, my subie has a USB port and it'll read an iPod with the charger cable plugged into no problem. charges it as well. also works with a thumb drive of mp3s