Quantcast

Music when riding....

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
I NEVER liked listening to music (earbuds) when riding because I found it distracting. Fast forward 10 years to present >> I gave it a try today on my work commute/street session and really liked it! Especially with some high BPM songs.

Do you guys listen to music when you ride? What about during a race run?

I usually get pretty nervous 10 mins until my race run so I'm thinking the music might calm the nerves.

Here is a dancing Van Damme for your time:

DarrylB

Monkey
Jan 16, 2008
the secret loam!
My Ipod shuffle works great. I don't worry about breaking it. I've noticed that when you can't hear your bike, you feel faster and smoother. I tend to listen to heavy fast stuff: Mudvayne, Static-x, In Flames etc. I'll throw some melower stuff for the pre race jitters, Pink floyd and certain Tool songs work best for me.

pedalmunky

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
Whilst listening to Dragonforce you will pedal faster than you ever have before. At least that's what I've found.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I used to be completely against it for safety reasons.
I tried it yesterday on a road ride (on the bike trail) and it was really nice. Kept the volume low so I could still hear everything. It was a nice training tool. I'm not sure about during a race though. I might try it once.

atwalker6

Chimp
Jul 23, 2007
Riding with music is awesome. It totally makes you feel like your in a video game, but when it comes to racing ill pass...

TWeerts

Monkey
Jan 7, 2007
The Area Bay
My Ipod shuffle works great. I don't worry about breaking it. I've noticed that when you can't hear your bike, you feel faster and smoother.
AGREED! i use a shuffle too, but the point is that the music makes you focus more on where your wheels are and more on the trail ahead than under your wheels.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I've been listening to music on the road to the trails. Mostly metal. On the way back i'll listen to hip hop or acid jazz. Though I tend to go through few week periods of lots of either metal/hardcore/punk or hip hop/acid jazz/drum&bass.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
I ride XC w/ the 'phones on and it is nice to have something to help assist with tempo at times.
I like to have all my senses available when I'm doing FR/DH...especially on trails that have a lot of traffic. I just run a song thru my head on runs at that point. You can add your own fills/riffs or cut some part of a song you can't stand when you do that. And, yes, I'm borderline insane - just in case you were wondering.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i've never been a big fan of music while riding. dirt jumping, street and XC are fun with music, but i actually really enjoy the sounds associated with hauling a$$ on a DH bike. i like to have maximum focus when i'm doing that kind of stuff, i've noticed than in more technical situations i tend to slip up a little more than usual when i have music to distract me. for smoother trails it can be completely amazing with the right song though.

***MTB***

Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
SoCal
During practice, music is fine. But I much prefer to listen to the fans during races for encouragement. It really helps me go faster personally.

Dec 3, 2004
San Jose, CA
I like listening to music when i am climbing or doing xc riding, but for downhill it messes with my head. I stop paying attention to what i am doing, make stupid mistakes, and in general ride terribly.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
i totally agree with the music for xc its great for that...

as for dh it messes with me a bit...

i love to listen to music when skiing though...

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
While climbing I could see it. For DH I need every ounce of concentration on the task at hand. I listen to what sounds my tires are making.

If you are riding crowded multi use trails with headphones you should be smacked (that goes for the hikers too!)

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
Different strokes for different folks.

I tried listening to some music on a hairy dh section near my house this morning and found it too distracting. I need to hear the tires when concentrating. I'll save the music for the leisurely work commute only.