Quantcast

Musical chair game 2016 or Teh offseason prophecy

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I can see the Atherton being taken as dicks. The shop I worked at had a plaque for being a GT dealer for 25 years back in 2010. That's pretty impressive considering GT started in the late 70's. When Dave, the shop owner, retired, I asked him for posters and neon signs he didn't want. One was a GT poster from the late 90's. Black with yellow letters. I thought it would be cool to have the Athertons sign it and give it back to him. I was at Windham this year and took it to the GT trailer. I just had a conversation with Hill and had him sign 2 frames(Sunday and Demo). I took the Demo over to Gwinn and he signed it too. He also signed a Decline cover. When I went to the GT trailer though, complete rejection! I asked if they could sign the poster for the shop owner who sold GT for 25+ years. The girl turns around and asks if they started their training yet and Gee said yes... As he's mixing his drink and Rachel is throwing on a shirt. Really? She told me to come back in 2 hours after qualifying. But that would be during qualifying. I showed up again after both had qualified and the same girl said they're now cooling down,come back in 1/2 hour. I did, now they're out somewhere, come back tomorrow... I got there early on race day and some guy said that they're getting ready for the race. Really bud? It's not for 2.5 hours? I asked if I could leave the poster and have them sign it for the shop owner who sold GT for 25+ years at their convince. "Nah, things can dissappear around here. Someone might give out the poster to someone else. Come back after the race.". Fuck this. I'm done.

After 3 Windham World Cup races, I've figured out who the cool ones are. My first time I talked to Mick Hannah for 20 minutes or so. Amazingly down to earth guy! Hill is the same way. This year I talked w/Sam Dale for over half an hour about riding in NY and PA! Ratboy! I was walking along one day (4 years ago) and out of the Syndicate tent rolls some guy. He looks at me with this huge smile and asks me how I'm doing. I don't have a clue who this guy is, but he's wearing a Syndicate jersey! I already had Peaty and Minnar sign it. After about 5 minutes of talking about the course, I asked if he'd sign the jersey. This guy was full of life man! He was so thrilled that he signed it! Off we went after wishing each other well. I turned to get his name and his goggles were covering it. Ra--oy? Is that a BO in the middle? Ratboy? I don't know? Then I found out it was Bryceland when I looked it up on my phone! Some racers really represent their company in such good ways it would make you WANT to buy their bike. Others turned me off for good. GT and Devinci were horrible at representing at the WC. Giant, Nukeproof, Trek, Specialized, Saracen, all were welcoming to their tents and their racers were easy to strike up a conversation with.
and this is how you earn the title Lord Bummer

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
You should have swung by after the race. We were floating around having beers after, and the GT pit area was where everyone ended up. They had a grill out front and Rachel was cooking burgers for everyone. Other racers, fans, media guys. They couldn't have been more cool and approachable.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
You should have swung by after the race. We were floating around having beers after, and the GT pit area was where everyone ended up. They had a grill out front and Rachel was cooking burgers for everyone. Other racers, fans, media guys. They couldn't have been more cool and approachable.
It's too late. I spent 2 days asking them. They were the only ones who wouldn't talk to the people or even look at you. I've wasted enough time with them. I did walk by when they were grilling and I thought maybe I should run down and get the poster then. But I was parked across the street in some distant parking lot. I figured that by the time I came back with it, they'd be too busy doing some other bullschitt.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Then please explain to me what makes Sam Hill so popular? In his early years he had nothing going for him besides being a maniac on a bike. I still remember when he lost worlds to Barel and you could see how pissed he was when on the podium.
I guess with pro riders it depends when you catch them if they are friendly or 'in the zone' and don't want to be disturbed. This might explain why people have different experiences with some riders.
because he is down to earth as fuck, friendly as hell, appears stoked on riding bikes and life in general, etc.

I know this kid's stoked on Sam and Troy. (among others, but since Same was brought up)

You know who he wasn't stoked on?

Gee Atherton, Gee wouldn't even look his direction when he wanted a pic with him after the race.

Ratboy is cool too (actually my favorite rider)

Rachel was class act all the way, we actually talked to her for a bit.

Legend status. Wouldn't let me get the beer in the frame because he was taking a pic with the kiddo.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
I am not sure why anyone would think Gwin would be going back to Trek. Does no one remember the debacle of him leaving Trek in the first place?

Sep 11, 2015
I am not sure why anyone would think Gwin would be going back to Trek. Does no one remember the debacle of him leaving Trek in the first place?
This guy and I have a friendly wager going, though no prize nor punishment has been agreed upon.

Ha I honestly bet Gwin will be on a Trek...the rumblings are starting to build.

I have already said too much.

Sep 11, 2015
No I don't think he'll go to trek, but then again I don't really follow industry rumors or have any inside scoops, it just doesn't make sense to me as an outsider looking in.
My guess is that the people who are saying that here and elsewhere are either attempting to make a funny, or they're just really gullible when it comes to rumours.

He's not going back to Trek, you guys. C'mon.

peecee

Monkey
Apr 27, 2012
Australia
And in real news it seems like that Athertons have had the Trek bikes for a few weeks already.
angusgt.jpg
angustrek.jpg

From VitalMTB

Jose_Conceição wrote:
"It's official
Saw the atertons team training today on Trek bikes!!!
And a lot of engeniers arround them
Trek, bontrager, continental, fox, shimano"
tmano2 wrote:
"Lousã?"
"Yes"

Brannigan spotted testing the new Cube dh rig the other day.

Blenki, Wyn and Sam Dale at GT through the grapevine.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I would agree. After idolizing her as a kid, then getting to ride with her last season, I was like a kid on christmas morning. Getting to watch her race more next year would be super fun.
in an interview somewhere after windham she discussed wanting to do some racing, but also wanting to get involved in managing a team

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
in an interview somewhere after windham she discussed wanting to do some racing, but also wanting to get involved in managing a team
Yeah, we talked a little about that at Windham. She told me I was crazy for letting my kids DH. Then two seconds later she said she'd love to coach them haha.

I love people like her that are just happy to be breathing pooping and eating.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah, we talked a little about that at Windham. She told me I was crazy for letting my kids DH. Then two seconds later she said she'd love to coach them haha.

I love people like her that are just happy to be breathing pooping and eating.
i got to meet her as well. SUPER rad.