Quantcast

MUST DO in Douthat?

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
What's the skinny? If I'm only there riding a day, where should I spend my precious time? Flowy dh is the name of the game, don't mind climbing to get to.

Also, I probably going to hike one day and ride the next, so I'd like to avoid doing the same **** twice. If there's a view/trail worth hitting thats not such a great ride, I'd love to hear about that too.

VT Mtbkr

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Richmond, Virginia
Ross Camp -> Mountain Side -> Mountain Top ->Mountain Side again-> Brushy Hollow

Stoney Run -> Tuscarora-> Blue Suck Falls-> Locust Gap-> Stoney Run back down.

Here are my favorite 2 routes.
The second is one hell of a long climb but a great downhill.

theg1ant

Monkey
Oct 20, 2006
Atlanta
Climb up the salt stump trail untill you get to the top of the ridge this is a bitch of a climb but the rewards were worth it in my opinion. turn left onto the middle mountain trail. from there take your first left onto a short trail connector and turn right at the "t" intersection and head out to the tuscarora overlook. Enjoy the view for a few minutes and take the tuscarora overlook trail to where it intersects with the stoney run trail and turn left. From here you have an amazingly fun 10min downhill thats super buff with a few waterbars thrown in just to get your tires off the ground. After 7 switchbacks and a ****load of fun you will intersect with the road. After pedaling for a bit there will be a trail on your right called the beardes gap trail. Climb up that and turn right on to the brushy hollow trail. Brushy hollow is suppose to be the most fun of all the trails there. I had some issues with my bike and couldnt get to ride up beards gap or down brushy hollow but the rest of my group did and had a blast. Brushy hollow spits you out on the road again and you turn right to head back into the park. You can make a few days of riding out of these by alternating which side of the park you want to ride and trying out different routs.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
My favorite standard is one big loop on the outer perimeter.

Stoney Run>Middle Mountain>Salt Stump>Ross Camp>Mountain Side>Mountain Top>Mountain Side>Brushy Hollow.

Mileage comes in right about 20mi. and provides some excellent flowing DH runs as well as some screamin fast ridge rides.

Just be careful around the hikers and slow down well before you come up on them as to not startle them. They have received a lot of complaints as of late from the hikers up there, most notably on the Brushy Hollow DH.

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
mud'n'sweat's suggestion is basically the way to go. that is an awesome ride, and you get in all the best downhill. personally, I think the Stony Run downhill THE best section of riding in the park. its ideal to ride more than one day, but if you only have a day, here is what i suggest:

Ross Camp Hollow>Mountain Top>Beards Gap>Tobacco House Ridge>Blue Suck Falls>Tuscarora Overlook>Stony RUN!

the hike to Mountain Top is rough, but the descent is incredible. come out behind the ranger office and ride Tobacco House Ridge for the cool view of the lake and the bench to take a breather, plus the ride from there down to Blue Suck Falls is super quick with some very fun turns. hike up Blue Suck and check out the falls, then stop at Lookout Rock for pretty expansive view. you come to a small cabin at the end of Blue Suck/beginning of Tuscarora. awesome views! be sure to bring a camera. from there you get on Stony Run and I think the trail is more fun than 95% of the riding in VA. super-fast singletrack with some challenging switchbacks. please try to preserve the trail by riding within your limits and not throwing half the trail down the mountain by locking up your rear brake in the corners. also like mentioned watch for the hikers because they enjoy they park just as much as we do. eyes on the trail, not your tire.

overall its hard to choose a favorite ride in the park, but if you've got the time then there is no other choice than to ridge up on Beards Mtn. or Middle Mtn. to take advantage of the dope forearm-burning descents. there are also NFS trails that intersect on the ridges of both mountains, and the one on Middle Mtn. that meets at Tuscarora/Stony Run comes out at the white gate on your left as you
are entering the park from I-64. you can even skip the gate and extend the ride for another couple miles to the Clifton Forge reservoir.
fun times!

I've been going to school in Clifton Forge since August. has anyone ridden any other noteworthy trails in this area? there is a ridiculous 9 mile shuttle ride (3 miles ridge-6 miles downhill) on North Mountain, the 13 mile Fore Mountain trail (connects the trail @ Clifton Forge reservoir to Covington), and a couple other not-exactly-legal places. any advice?