Quantcast

Must have new Toyota FJ!!!!

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
wow its kinda ugly dont ya think? i used to drive an fj-40. it was a fun vehicle however slow and non road worthy it was.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
That concept has been around for at least 2 years that I know of.

I wish they'd just bring the old style FJ's Toy would import the FJ's they made in S America up until a couple years ago.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
im tired of companies using IFS on these types of trucks. a truck like that should be running on a live axle in the front.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
biggins said:
im tired of companies using IFS on these types of trucks. a truck like that should be running on a live axle in the front.
why? it's never going to see off road use.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Toshi said:
why? it's never going to see off road use.
then why buy one of the big gas guzzling rack topped things then?

oh wait never mind, this is america, everything must be oversized and under used. hell i sure need to one up my neighboor.

bigginsis

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
standing at the edge of reason
biggins actually had an accident in that landcruiser where he DROVE OVER the front end of this chick's honda civic - he couldn't swerve and she was nosing out of a parking lot and he went right over her car. the only damage to the cruiser was a little paint chipping.
if you really want to get biggins mad refer to the cruiser as a jeep. :devil:

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
shut up.

that was a funny accident. the insurance guy came out and was taking pictures of the accident with a polaroid camera. i told him i needed one and he asked me why so i explained that i thought it was cool and i deserved the picture because i had driven over a car. the honda that i drove over was totaled.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Acadian said:
If Honda could only revamp their Element - more HP, more safety features and style the body a bit - I would be all over that..
:stupid:

I :love: the Element interior. The only thing that could make it better would be a drain in the center of the floor and a place to connect a garden hose for an interal wash cycle.

The way it drives and the external styling leave a lot to be desired.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Luc, I have seen some dope Elements at SEMA, they had the plastic body panels painted to match with some nice wheels etc. Very clean look.

For the hardcore guys who thin IFS is unworthy and straight axles are the only "true" off-road worthy suspension, that's just not true. Yes for serious extreme rock-crawling (.00001% of the population) a straight axle is ideal. But for the rest and even severe off-roading with mild to moderate rock-crawling a good IFS system is perfectly capable and much more safe and comfortable on the road.

The FJ concept is based on a Tacoma platform and the new Tacoma has about 10" of vertical wheel travel via an 30-spline CV axle shafts and an 8" hi-pinion differential. Now that is some capable IFS! Older Toyota IFS systems only had 26 spline axles and low-pinion 7.5" diffs (much weaker) that pulled about 6" of travel...

IFS rocks!

This is one of our trucks, it gets over 12" of VERTICAL travel with IFS and 4WD...

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
I want a Toyota BJ 70. Ive been in one of those things when it we crawled up, over, and through stuff that I could not immagine a vehicle ever being able to do.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
The mega cruiser get's phenomonal ground clearance through the use of portal axles, that also how they mounted the discs inboard. That thing was a crazy mix of a Hummer and a Mercedes Benz Uni-mog. Slow as dirt but very cool!

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
The new Honda pickup looks like it good be a good car. Im sure it will not be truly offroad worthy but its got a nice big cab and honda quality, and for neo-japanese styling I dont think it looks too bad.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
punkassean said:
The mega cruiser get's phenomonal ground clearance through the use of portal axles, that also how they mounted the discs inboard. That thing was a crazy mix of a Hummer and a Mercedes Benz Uni-mog. Slow as dirt but very cool!
doesn't the hummer (original not tahoe++) have portal axles? if so, how is the megacruiser not a direct hummer copy, substituting 4 cyl for 6?

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
N8 said:
The old FJ40 is called the Bandeirante and was made by Toyota in Brazil up until 2001. I think they have Mercedes-Benz diesel engines in them....

Would be nice if they had broght them to the US...

Linky: http://www.brian894x4.com/LCBandeirante.html
Man, I wish I could get ahold of one of these. I bet they're an emissions nightmare, though. What a sweet and simple utilitarian vehicle. I bet they last just shy of forever. Of course there's no sense in me driving one of those in the city...

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
^ the "Ridgeline" looks like a watered down Chevy Avalanche. And I think the Avalanche looks like poo poo.

I'd take an Element over the Ridgeline anyday....

I think my favorite of all the li'l boxes is the Nissan Cube

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Toshi said:
doesn't the hummer (original not tahoe++) have portal axles? if so, how is the megacruiser not a direct hummer copy, substituting 4 cyl for 6?
The hummer H1 had an 8, 195hp, 400-some torque. The megacruiser is a bit hummer-esque, but to call it a direct copy is like calling a Expedition and a Suburban the same thing becasue they both have V8s and awd.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Toshi said:
The H1 does use portals but the Mog's did way before. I just didn't want to give full credit to AM General when Daimler deserved some of the credit for inspriation.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
TheInedibleHulk said:
punkassean said:

QUOTE]

If you wanna drive the gayest car ever thats your choice. I hate all the boxes.

:think: hmmm... let's see here, what's more ghey?

A) A car disguised as a "tough" truck (Think male chest implants)

B) A utilitarian box that is incredibly functional and semi-stylish

You make the call :rolleyes:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
TheInedibleHulk said:
The hummer H1 had an 8, 195hp, 400-some torque. The megacruiser is a bit hummer-esque, but to call it a direct copy is like calling a Expedition and a Suburban the same thing becasue they both have V8s and awd.
they look very similar, both have portal axles, turbo (or non-turbo) diesel engines, are giant, etc. much more similar than expedition or suburban. i think the megacruiser has 4 wheel steering tho, one upping the hmmvee :D

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
TheInedibleHulk said:
punkassean said:

QUOTE]

If you wanna drive the gayest car ever thats your choice. I hate all the boxes.
I like the boxes, but regardless, I'd like to think that I'm secure enough in my masculinity to drive whatever the hell I want. Something along these lines (perhaps a Scion Xb) may very likely be my next car, if I buy a new one. I need to research 'em a bit more, though. Hopefully, some will show up on the used/post-lease market soon. I don't get the brand new car thing, aside from having a warranty.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
punkassean said:
TheInedibleHulk said:
:think: hmmm... let's see here, what's more ghey?

A) A car disguised as a "tough" truck (Think male chest implants)

B) A utilitarian box that is incredibly functional and semi-stylish

You make the call :rolleyes:
The element is not semi-stylish, it's anti stylish. I would say its hideous. It also has no ground clearance or power. It remains to be seen if the ridgeline is off road capable, but I think the gaol was to make it a legit truck. For my money I would still get a Tacoma quad cab. All that said, Im really not a truck person, I need to go fast, so my dream car would probably be a volvo V70R, A new legacy GT wagon, or a wrx wagon with an STI conversion.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Even the F150 and new Grand Cherokee have independent suspension now, and while live axels may be still be the best option for real offroading, electronic lockers are a good comprimise of decent road manners and moderate off road use. Driving live axel cars on the road sucks. Eventually differential technology will advance to the point where live axels are completely obsolete, and for most applications they already are. Most people that actually need 4 wheel drive only need it for inclimant weather and the occasional fire road, so it would be stupid to build a new car with live axels to keep the tiny market segment that needs them happy. If they can make it work without them, more power to em.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
punkassean said:
^ the "Ridgeline" looks like a watered down Chevy Avalanche. And I think the Avalanche looks like poo poo.

I think my favorite of all the li'l boxes is the Nissan Cube
Seeing the popularity of little boxy cars maybe VW should revive a design that is
30-40 years old. The Fridolin.