Quantcast

Mutiny Video HD

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Screw the middle man, go right to the source: http://mutinybikes.com/web-video-2008.html

That video is a real good example of the differences between MTB and BMX. The BMX guys are so much more into the art of it all. The amount of effort put into that video vastly exceeds any MTB webvid. BMXers just seem more able to think for themselves, and enjoy their sport for what it is, not what it "could be."

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
I really like the ability to download the HD versions of things....
Big ups to Mutiny for the super quality video, and making HD available.

scag

Monkey
Nov 19, 2004
Screw the middle man, go right to the source: http://mutinybikes.com/web-video-2008.html

That video is a real good example of the differences between MTB and BMX. The BMX guys are so much more into the art of it all. The amount of effort put into that video vastly exceeds any MTB webvid. BMXers just seem more able to think for themselves, and enjoy their sport for what it is, not what it "could be."
I kinda disagree with your opinion that BMX guys are so much more into the art ..etc ... For the longest time, bmx movies produced by even the bigger co's have been super low budget, simple edited movies (packed with a ton of footage...a good thing.) MTB movies have been "artsy" for quite some time. Look at the NWD series, the collective, etc. Theres stuff in those movies that was way ahead of BMX stuff. They were shooting in 16mm, zip lines, etc. Just recently in the last year or 2 have we seen bmx movies come out with production value in mind (hd, rolling cams, steady cams, etc.)

Dont get me wrong, I'd prefer to watch an old bmx movie packed with tons of footage thats not slow mo-ed to hell and back. They are usually more progressive. All i'm sayin is with MTB videos where they lack in amount of content, they usually try to give good production value. Just my $.02

Jan 18, 2006
I kinda disagree with your opinion that BMX guys are so much more into the art ..etc ... For the longest time, bmx movies produced by even the bigger co's have been super low budget, simple edited movies (packed with a ton of footage...a good thing.) MTB movies have been "artsy" for quite some time. Look at the NWD series, the collective, etc. Theres stuff in those movies that was way ahead of BMX stuff. They were shooting in 16mm, zip lines, etc. Just recently in the last year or 2 have we seen bmx movies come out with production value in mind (hd, rolling cams, steady cams, etc.)

Dont get me wrong, I'd prefer to watch an old bmx movie packed with tons of footage thats not slow mo-ed to hell and back. They are usually more progressive. All i'm sayin is with MTB videos where they lack in amount of content, they usually try to give good production value. Just my $.02
I think that there is a larger amount of younger riders in the bmx "scene" than freeride and downhill mountain biking. With a younger age group you get alot of kids with an interest in video production and or art school. More attention gets put to the video aspect, as it is much more convenient to travel around town with a hd camera in your bag as opposed to the mountain. We have seen some of these things like steady cam work and rolling cams in mtb films but it has been pretty new and still not as widely used. I like both genres of flicks for what they are but there is def a difference.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
I bought "Electronical" yesterday, it's pretty sweet too.
I think "Insight" or "Stoked on being pumped" might be next on the list.

ReVolVeRage

Monkey
Dec 28, 2006
MD/ NYC
When you have guys graduating from college with film degrees producing these videos, the results show. Mutiny is filming with DXV200 which make movies look like dreams. To be honest, BMX is following skateboarding in the quiality game. Most skate movies now are HD, shot by guys with film degrees, and carefully planned out, shot by shot (or rather trick by trick). It's not just a bunch of dudes running around filming the action with no real plan (Props). I'm not much of a skateboarder, but I watch skate movies as a way of "studying" becuase from a cinematographical stand point, the movies are beautiful. Clay Porter for example, started out filming skateboarding. That influence is all over his flicks, like his consistant use of fish shots.
Honestly guys, it's not that BMX filmmakers isn't artsy, it's that theres no money. So, please don't steal movies, it's lame. Not saying that any of you do, just food for thought.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Revolve: Can you list out a couple contemporary skate vids that illustrate what you're talking about? I'd love to check them out, but I've been out of the skate world for 12 years and wouldn't know where to start besides the Blind video 1 and Yeah Right.

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
Revolve: Can you list out a couple contemporary skate vids that illustrate what you're talking about? I'd love to check them out, but I've been out of the skate world for 12 years and wouldn't know where to start besides the Blind video 1 and Yeah Right.
The new lakai video fully flared is completely bonkers. The intro sequence alone is a thing of beauty.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Mutiny is filming with DXV200 .

HVX200 :D

One thing I noticed lacking was tight pants.

I mean TIGHT pants....with some boxer crack.

Personally I don't view any clip as a success unless there's at least 4 full seconds of boy slice.

Funny regarding using this as an example of BMX vs MTB flick artistry.

This still kind of looks like kid with a camcorder stuff with some ideas for cool shots. I agree.....kid with a film school background......but still. Watch the collective guys a little more closely and realize they're a film production group with a focus on mountain bikes. It's not even close.

I don't mean to detract from these guys. Anything that's NOT follow the rider through a schoolyard with a fisheye gets my vote. I got way sick of that crap with skateboarding. Their use of dollys in that clip was impressive, and props for an original credit idea for sure.

But those are 20 minute to 1 hour setups. Those guys from the collective build scaffolding and setup ziplines that take days to coordinate for ONE shot. I think it shows.

But I'll still be ripping off guys like this to make my crappy "kid with a camcorder" home movies better :D

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I think it shows that they use ziplines way too much. It was a smart idea to get some moving camera footage, but they are usually way too high and far away from the rider. Those shots were novel before, but they are played out at this point.

High-angle shots generally reduce the drama/action of riding, in my opinion. It's the nature of MTB riding that low-angle dolly shots (or steadicam even) are tough or impossible to put together due to the trees/rocks and the speed of the riders.

One more reason that MTB videos will continue to lag behind.

DJ is one area where MTB vids could keep up with the times, from a camera standpoint. Urban too... but urban 26" has riding-centered problems that a camera can't solve.

But those are 20 minute to 1 hour setups. Those guys from the collective build scaffolding and setup ziplines that take days to coordinate for ONE shot. I think it shows.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
(or steadicam even) are tough or impossible to put together due to the trees/rocks and the speed of the riders.
Wait till you see some of the shots that zankers got for dusk till dirt with his steadicam. You're going to go poopy.

Fair enough on the zipline shots being played out if you're over it. It's just a good way to get a continuous shot with a subject covering a lot of ground. Some of the follow shots with the camera beside the rider still make me tingly though. My point wasn't ziplines for zipline sake. More just the amount of extra time and forethought those guys give a large percentage of shots in their flicks. Again the scaffolding comes to mind. Just saying there's a lot more going on in putting together those movies in my opinion.

ReVolVeRage

Monkey
Dec 28, 2006
MD/ NYC
but urban 26" has riding-centered problems that a camera can't solve.
I disagree. I recently watched NWD 8, and I skipped Lenosky's section becuase it sucked so much, it was terrible. Barel's section on the other hand was rad. The only steet stuff for MTB that I've seen that I liked was Tough as Hell and maybe a clip or two on the internet. I guess it's all personal preference, but everyone has their own style and tastes. For example, Kidwoo's videos are tits. I love em' becuase they're so chill (and I love Janes Addiction).

With the ziplines, the phrase "everything is good in moderation" comes to mind. The person who can combine Clay's fisheye and long lens shots, The Collectives zip line footage and epic-ness, Rankin's editing, and combine all of that with the world cup footage is going to be the Sam of the flicks.

Speaking of which, today I was the shuttle man for a run so I started watching Sam's section in Synopsis while I waited at the bottom for everyone. Talk about an amazing section, I'm blown away thinking about it and that video is 4 years old!