Quantcast

My 1st race tomorrow, is there racing etiquette?

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
I'm doing my first ever XC race tomorrow. I am a bit nervous about what to do with passing and letting people pass and things of that nature. I may not be the strongest climber, but I commit and clean my climbs. On the course tomorrow, there is one climb I cannot clean yet. I make up a lot of my time on the downhill and technical sections which this course has plenty of. I'm concerned about being in peoples way on the climbs, and people being in my way on the descents and techy stuff. Is there a standard etiquette I should take into mind and follow? Any tips for a first timer? Any food, stretch, warm-up tips for me?

Thanks in advance!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Don't worry too much. When passing someone just warn them by saying on the left or whatever direction you want to go around on. If someone is passing you and says on the left go right if the conditions allow. No matter what class you enter it will be a bit of an endurance race, it will not be won at the starting line. The worst thing I have seen anyone do at a race is take it too seriously, relax and have fun. Unless it is a complete wash out I'll be there on an orange Flux.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
A lot of stuff you learn from experience, like how hard to go, etc. But for a few tips...here goes.

There isn't really any etiquette, other than if passing someone, use "On your left, right" standard stuff(if getting pased you'll hear it). Don't litter. Don't stretch too much, it can fatigue your muscles if you overdo it.

For warming up, it depends on your level of fitness. The starts of XC races are hard, so you want to be prepared for that; but at the same time, you don't want to arrive at the start line feeling like you went for a long ride. I'll warm up now for about 45 minutes for a race, but it was closer to about 15 min when I first started racing.

Back to the start of the race. It's probably going to be difficult, but try not to start too hard. Many guys take off like a bat out of hell; and there's that adrenaline rush that can cause you to want to sprint at the start, but it can cause you to blow up early(I learned this the hard way). I know it's cliche, but ride your race; it took me years to figure this out and actually do it. Remember, the race isn't won or lost in the first half-mile, so don't sweat it if the other guys have a gap already. Ride your race

There's stuff I haven't covered since there is a lot which you just learn for racing.

Yes, and like splat said, have fun. My first race, I started too hard, blew up a quarter-mile into it, crawled to the finish, and swore never to race again...until about a day after I though, "That was effing sweet!"

Good luck! :thumb:

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
Hell yeah, these were some great tips! Thanks guys :)

Hope to see you out Westy. I'll be the big clyde on the Black Ellsworth racing the beginer/clyde race. I've got some endurance so like you said MtnBikeMike, the best idea is to ride my race and pace it out.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
mud'n'sweat said:
Hell yeah, these were some great tips! Thanks guys :)

Hope to see you out Westy. I'll be the big clyde on the Black Ellsworth racing the beginer/clyde race. I've got some endurance so like you said MtnBikeMike, the best idea is to ride my race and pace it out.
I saw your bike on the roof of your car but never saw anyone attached to it. Hope you enjoyed the race. I suffered like a dog in the heat but managed to do ok and had fun.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
VaNIlLin81 said:
Westy, you were there..what were you rocking? I was there on a Trance 3.
Riding an orange Flux. Did you have a Wonder Bread Jersey on
? I may have almost ran into you while tooling around waiting for things to start.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
MtnbikeMike said:
So.....how'd the race go?
The race went great! I had a total blast and can't wait to go for another. I ended up placing 4th in the mens beginners 18-30. I was just happy to finish the race off. It was pretty short, only 7 miles (1 lap) for my category but it was a killer and completely anarobic. I hit my max heart rate of 197 6 times so I'm surprised I held up so well considering I'm 215lbs and not the most fit :rolleyes:

A bunch of the riders in my class ended up not finishing the race at all or cutting off a couple miles and being dq'ed. I guess it was a bit of a discouraging course for someone who may not have ridden at this venue much.

I was able to clean house on the downhills with the guys that didn't get too far ahead of me on the climbs. I was probably about 10 people back in my class once we started into the trail after the initial road break out, so I was able to overcome a few riders and the passing/being passed was nothing really. Everyone was really cool. Had a blast with some other monkee's out there like birdman, vanillin, bearmtn and their friend Jake. Really cool group of young guys that rode their asses off as well.

Sorry I missed you Westy. Glad you did well too.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Glad you had fun in your first race! Lots of states have Clydesdale categories for riders over 200...maybe you should check it out? Nice finish though!

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
Yeah, no clyde category for this race, but it worked out well even though I was racing some string beans out there.

Douglass, I'm definitely hooked! I'm already planning some more races. I'm even going to give the the Mass-of-nothin' Yee-Ha DH race coming up a shot. Apparently the course can easily be done on a 5" travel rig :)