Quantcast

my 1st "sport" XC race

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I decided to move up to sport XC this year, and today I survived my first XC race in the sport cat.

It was BRUTAL!

The race was at Hunter ski Mtn (Catskills- NY) and my goal was to finish, and hopefully not come in last.

So as I startred pre riding I realized my first mistake - It was so frigging muddy and I had my dry conditions tires on, and yup I had almost all my tools and spare parts but no other tires :(

The course was tough, 3 spots in paticular - about 1/4 mile in was a long super steep lung burning granny gear get off your bike fireroad section (it was at least 1/2 mile long) - I only saw 1 sport rider make the climb with out walking.
Another spot was a combo of several uphil singletrack sections that was full of wet rocks/roots/etc (more granny gear & a couple hike a bikes for me)
The last hard spot was a steep DH section (I felt like I was riding at platty but with 1/3rd of suspension I'm used to)

The last lap was a tough one (me=bonked) but I had a guy in my group about 20 ft back so I just kept pushing and finally pulled away from in the DH section

after 1 hour & 45 minutes of riding (11.5 miles) the race was finally over!!
I was very happy with how I did - 5th out of 9 :thumb:

ps:mistake # 2 was when I followed a guy off couse in the 1st lap - prob. lost a minute or so doh!

Yes, it was muddy! (see pic)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by douglas
ps:mistake # 2 was when I followed a guy off couse in the 1st lap - prob. lost a minute or so doh!

This is pretty common in 50K adventure races... never thrust the guy in front of you!!!

Last month I was in a kayak race that required slough navigation and a trip up river... it was at mid tide and I forgot my compass and it was over cast... The elites were far ahead and out of sight and I was pulling the second pack. I headed up the wrong slough and at least a half a dozen kayaks followed me - we paddled and paddled but saw no turn around bouy. It got very narrow before I realized my mistake - it cost us all 20 to 25 minutes!!! Ahahahahhah - we finished behind the tandem canoes!!!

Congrats on your race! :thumb:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Congrats, I didn't think you were racing XC.

You should have come to MTN creek conditions were PRIME!!!!!! They have a great XC course too.