e13 lg1 chain guide
xt shadow rear derailleur, cassette, chain and shifter
thompson post
wtb rocket saddle
mavic deemax wheels
panaracer fire tires
crankbrothers mallet pedals

just waiting for e13 direct mount stem, rcs ti spring

37.89 pounds...hopefully i can drop another 2 pounds...thx to the guys at go-ride for hooking me up with my new ride!

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Looks freakin sick. I'm not seeing a huge amount of potential to reduce the weight to be honest... maybe different pedals, saddle and stem (oh and Ti spring if you haven't already), but really that's pretty light as is... go get it dirty!

poonstar

Monkey
Jan 6, 2008
thx...i just finished building it up today...i'm just waiting on the ti-spring and e13 direct mount stem. i'll probably get some crank bro acid ti pedals, I9 wheels and switch to sram x.0 drivetrain when i'm done with the xt shadow stuff.

i would love to get my hands on a vivid or double barrel just to try out though...lol

poonstar

Monkey
Jan 6, 2008
Nice!
But why black?
The white is so much nicer
i love the white finish too...but the black ano is more durable finish and it has that cool stealthy airforce look lol. so black it is...unless i can find a white one for a back up lol.

Supa8

Monkey
May 3, 2002
Middle of MA
Nice bike. Mine is still on paper and on order soon to be built. Is yours a medium or small? Any idea on the frame weight?

I am hoping to hit 37.5 Lbs. with a size small frame, TI spring and 721/Hope Pro II wheelset w/DT supercomp spokes.

poonstar

Monkey
Jan 6, 2008
Nice bike. Mine is still on paper and on order soon to be built. Is yours a medium or small? Any idea on the frame weight?

I am hoping to hit 37.5 Lbs. with a size small frame, TI spring and 721/Hope Pro II wheelset w/DT supercomp spokes.
my 2008 sunday factory is a small. frame weight is around 10-10.5 lbs. i think if i goto a ti spring, lighter pedals and some light wheels i can get it down to 36 pounds. your goal of 37.5 should be easily attainable.

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
I have a direct mount stem, and I would rather use a regular one. When you crash with a DM stem, you risk twisting the fork and wheel rather than just rotating the stem. I would stick with the one you have. If I had enough steerer tube, I'd switch.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
... When you crash with a DM stem, you risk twisting the fork and wheel rather than just rotating the stem...
not really true. The frame stops the fork from rotating, not the bar (no force transmitted across the stem/fork interface).
Only way that a stem could have an influence is if the bar was twisted one way and the fork the other..with a LOT of force..rotating opposite ways around the steer tube...that isn't going to happen.

You could argue that the bar will see more stress, but the fork arguement does not hold much water.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
not really true. The frame stops the fork from rotating, not the bar (no force transmitted across the stem/fork interface).
Only way that a stem could have an influence is if the bar was twisted one way and the fork the other..with a LOT of force..rotating opposite ways around the steer tube...that isn't going to happen.

You could argue that the bar will see more stress, but the fork arguement does not hold much water.
You mean like what would happen if the front wheel and bar were smashed hard into a flat surface like the ground and thus forced in opposite directions?

Direct mount stems DO greatly increase the chance of damaging bars, stems or forks. I know one guy who's broken two of them.

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
As mentioned, throw on some serious DH tires and come back to the nearly 40lb mark :) otherwise the bike is nice stuff with a lot of $$$. I would also keep the stem, though this is really a personal preference of the racer. Are the integrated stems okay with carbon bars?

poonstar

Monkey
Jan 6, 2008
As mentioned, throw on some serious DH tires and come back to the nearly 40lb mark :) otherwise the bike is nice stuff with a lot of $$$. I would also keep the stem, though this is really a personal preference of the racer. Are the integrated stems okay with carbon bars?
I normally just run a 2.5 front and 2.35 rear tire on my DH bike. But they didn't have the minions I wanted in stock so...I'll just have to wait. However, these Fire's seem to work pretty good for a 2.4 tire as I'm running the same ones on my 2007 Kona Stab...i have no complaints. I know a bunch of riders using integrated stems with their carbon bars and not run into any issues. I'll probably just keep both and see which works better for me.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
You mean like what would happen if the front wheel and bar were smashed hard into a flat surface like the ground and thus forced in opposite directions?

Direct mount stems DO greatly increase the chance of damaging bars, stems or forks. I know one guy who's broken two of them.
Broken two of what?

First off, I dont think it is very likely that a bike a going to bounce up into a vertical position and then come back down so that the bars are turned exactly 45* and the tire and bar end contact the ground at the same time. It is much more likely that the bar OR tire will contact the ground at some incident angle of less than 90*, then the fork will swing to lock (against the frame) and bounce to land in some other position...not saying it never happens, just not very often.

Second, IF the bike were to land on the bar end and tire at the exact same time, the twisting forces seen by the fork would not change..in escence you have two opposite torques at either end of the fork now, each with half the value of the original torque provided if the bike landed on just the fork OR bars while at lock...and you have less bending forces seen by the fork's lower half as the mass (forces) of the bike is spread over two contact points....

I do agree (as I said above) that the bar can/will see more force, and you could make an arguement for the upper crown as well.

In my own experience of riding nothing but direct mount stems (DH bike) for the last 4 years, (and a seasons pass @ whistler every one of those years)..I have never seen on my bike, or any one elses, a failure of this kind from a direct mount stem.

poonstar

Monkey
Jan 6, 2008
i just contacted e13 and they say the Direct Mount Bash Technology (taco) will be available for aftermarket sales by the end of this month...just like the one in the picture...which is similar to the one on Sam Hills team bike.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
wait for it, wait for it . . .

the one in the picture is nothing more than a standard E-13 bashguard cut down with a hacksaw; for the past 2 years this was the only way to make a 'taco' for the LG-1. :shocked:

just in case you didn't get the joke

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
i just contacted e13 and they say the Direct Mount Bash Technology (taco) will be available for aftermarket sales by the end of this month...just like the one in the picture...which is similar to the one on Sam Hills team bike.
Why not just chop a bash ring and bolt it up? It doesn't even need to be an E-13, any 110mm BCD bash will work.

Theres always the MRP G2 as well. I got mine a week or so ago and its pretty darn light. That is if you don't feel like waiting for a taco, don't want to cut a bash ring and need something that's currently available.

-Kevin

poonstar

Monkey
Jan 6, 2008
that mrp guide is bad ass...i'm gonna cut a quarter section of one my new bash guards i have lying around and use that. thx for the tips guys!

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast

Yeah. My buddies who know more than I do all laugh at direct-mount, but I am stuck there until I get a new steerer/lower crown. :(

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
This may be a little OT, but I really don't understand the LG-1 obsession.

I've been running a Gamut and an STS the past 1 or 2 seasons, along with my buddies having the LG-1s. The gamut is lighter than the LG-1 + taco and way easier to set up. Most importantly, no mud problems whatsoever.

I hated how the SRS roller needs to much attention/cleaning. With the gamut I never worry about mud; there's simply nowhere for it to collect. It also concerns me that the taco puts the force through the guide plate and ISCG tabs rather than the cranks.

In any case, give a gamut a try. I just picked up a 2nd gamut (p30) for the DH bike to replace the clunky STS. I can say I'll never buy another e13 with that pesky lower roller design again. I should note that the LG-1 looks bad-ass and the new colors look awesome.