Quantcast

My 2010 Corsair Maelstrom

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
Just built this up last night. It's kinda heavy but that might be a good thing as I'm tired of cracking frames and forks every 8 months! This should last fast longer.

Spec list:

2010 Corsair Maelstrom

Rocco WC

888RC2X

Stans ZTR-Flow's

Hope/Ringle hubs

Polished Hozefeller cranks, E13 ring, FSA bash

Corsair Pedals

X0/X9 drivetrain

THE saddle
Thomson Post

Corsair headset (VERY smooth by the way)

Marzocchi stem

Gravity Carbon bar (1.5 rise is too tall on the 888 so this will have to go)

Avid J5 brakes (temp)

I have to send out a HUGE thanks to Doug over at Corsair for all his help! He even went out of his way to get the bike to me, driving about 2 hours to meet me half way to so I could pick up the bike in person. I'm stoked. The build quality on the frame is top notch. Stellar welds and great machining work. I'll post some more shots later to highlight the details. It's a very cool frame but for now it's ride time!!

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Carbon bars, flows and hope and you say it's heavy? Are you planning to do xc with it? ;) Sweet build, really like the looks of that frame

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
I am really considering getting one. What size is yours and how much did the build come out to? Was that the only color they have available or can you still get white ones?

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
I could have gotten the bike in a off-white color they call ghost, but I'm happy with the Brown. My XC bike is brown too, I like to color coordinate my bikes haha.

My frame is a medium. I'm 5' 10" and based on the brief pedal I had this morning fit is good. Ask me again in a week.

I got the bike direct from Corsair though their grassroots program, lets just say it was a good deal :) I believe the MSRP is 1799 US - that gets you the frame, rocco WC, seat clamp, maxle and their swanky headset. I had most of the other parts on hand from my old rig so I cant really give you a price on the build.

now back to velcroing my stays..

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
cool thanks,

i am 6 feet and ridden two different mediums and they are too small for me. I would definately need a large. luckily the seattube is the same length.

How much does the complete weigh? also did you happen to weigh the frame?

I have some of my build already too. im getting more and more tempted now. been talking with doug about maelstroms and hammerschmidt's.

dhr-racer

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
A, A
Dear Ryan

I hate you, if you come back to NS this year im going to steal your bike

Regards, Dave

lol, sweet ride man, your going to rip on that, hopefully your colorful history with frames will stay with FSR bikes

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
lol, yeah I'm pretty sure this frame will last me a bit longer!

Just ordered a Gravity 777 bar and put some Elixir's on. Not sure on the weight, I'll see if I can find a scale.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Does the 2010 model come with the new plastic chain idler, or does it still run an alloy one?

Lumpy930

Chimp
Mar 23, 2007
Tacoma
Pepper,
How is the Maelstrom working with the stinger chainguide? I am just building up a new Maelstrom frame, and I have a stinger, but was wondering if I needed a full guide. I have heard mixed reviews on the subject.

There have been quite a few negative reviews on the Maelstrom, most dealing with the pulley, but it is nice to hear a positive, no problems review.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Looks like it might be, but I bet you'd have some pretty nasty pedal feedback.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Have you shimmed the idler pulley so it can't move? I did originally but decided to run with the idler floating and has started dropping the chain through rough sections.

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
No shimming on the roller, running it stock as I received it. Chain stays on just fine.

Mind you the area where I am right now is pretty smooth. So for the moment the stinger is doing the job. In about a month I'll be moving back to the East Coast, I might end up needed more guide then. Time will tell.

Last edited:

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
Question for you...would it be possible to run the frame without the upper pulley?

Negative. Just for the sake of internet education I just went and pulled the chain off my bike and fitted it with out the integrated pulley. I'm running a 33T ring and can the chain will rub on ALL by the hardest one or two gears.

Honestly even if it would fit and not grind a hole in your frame after two runs it would totally defeat the design of the frame. The pulley creates such an amazing pedaling bike that I just cant see riding the bike with out it.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
It's just for an experiment I wanted to do. Yes it would clearly give you some pedal feedback, but I wonder how noticeable it would be in a DH run, and whether there may even be any advantages....something I always wanted to try.

Thanks for checking though!