Quantcast

My 2010 tomac primer 220!

DanSheridan

Chimp
Feb 7, 2009
Ireland
Updated pics of the bike with some new parts!

Recently recieved my 2010 Tomac Primer 220, Tis a beauty!
Havnt had much of a ride at it yet but for the few runs I did do it was amazing!

For more pics and a small report - www.DanSheridan.ie

Opinions?

Last edited:

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
Love the bike, and the parts on it but the purple bar and blue grip really gives it a "cheap " look.....Oh and whats with the fork crown being so LOW?

I say ,get different grips and bring those crowns up to slacken your headangle and you'll have a sick bike

DanSheridan

Chimp
Feb 7, 2009
Ireland
TotalHeckler: Thats a sick primer, Do you know what it weighs in at?

Yea the pink bars are going as soon as I get the new 2010 bars. The grips are good and I wouldnt be buying new ones to make it look better. The forks are set to 8" and I wouldnt want it much slacker for ireland!

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
TotalHeckler: Thats a sick primer, Do you know what it weighs in at?
Mine is built VERY heavy because I am a 215lb guy at 6'1. I am really good at breaking components so I usually run things heavy. It only makes me faster (like Renne). =]

It is at 44lbs even. Could be sub 40 pretty easily though.

Braaaawp

Last edited:

DanSheridan

Chimp
Feb 7, 2009
Ireland
I havn't weighed mine yet but I reckon with some small changes it will be about 40lb.
Nice jersey ;)

I think the only change for '10 is the Fox RC4.

SthFRider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2008
Atlanta,Ga
Can primer riders give a short review of the bike. How it rides and feels. Pros and cons. Im looking into getting a new bike in a few months and im debating between the tomac primer and the transition tr 450. I love the way the primer looks. The first time i saw it i think i drooled at little. Any info would be great. Thanks

DanSheridan

Chimp
Feb 7, 2009
Ireland
Can primer riders give a short review of the bike. How it rides and feels. Pros and cons. Im looking into getting a new bike in a few months and im debating between the tomac primer and the transition tr 450. I love the way the primer looks. The first time i saw it i think i drooled at little. Any info would be great. Thanks
Ill get a review up next week, I havnt had much riding on it yet but i am off for a week so Ill get 1 up next week.

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
I have been in love with the tomacs since interbike last year. Its on my short list of bikes to buy when I win the lottery, or strike it big in poker. Heckler's is pretty killer too.

Rider15

Chimp
Dec 13, 2008
There have been a few reports of Primers cracking here in Australia, have any owners on RM experienced this?

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
Yeah I hear this is making me think too, choices were the 450 and the Intense 951 but now I am adding a 3rd to the list cause man that primer is making me drool too...:D

DanSheridan

Chimp
Feb 7, 2009
Ireland
So heres a bit of a review of the primer.

1st Small problem was I couldnt get the shock soft enough, Even with a 250lb Ti spring, So after changing the Oil to 5wt I was ready to roll.(Fox RC4)

Although the frame is slightly heavier than others, Most of its low down near the BB, So I think that helps it corner so well, It grips and tracks amazingly!

It pedals the best out of my previous frames (Sunday & v10) and feels like theres no pedal bob.

The suspension is great and doesnt feel like a single pivot, It feels quite similar to the v10, bottomless.

Jumps great and is easy to move about.

Havnt found any fault with it and im so happy with it.

Oh and its so quiet!

Any questions?

Find it hard to believe a single pivot with the pivot in that location could possibly pedal better than a Sunday??
Simple mathematics says that the suspension will extend under chain torque, fighting you as you pedal... leading to a frame that pedals ****. Sure, with a 40-something tooth chain ring it would pedal well, but as it is, I doubt it.

Also, the pivot location raises eyebrows for sure. It's a high pivot - great. On the other hand it's far in front of the BB, negating many of the positive effects of the high pivot (rearward axle path etc.)

Does look good though.

And to Rider, they fixed those issues. They used the wrong material in the welding process which caused cracks around the main pivot. Was purely a 1st gen issue which was instantly addressed.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
what's the wheelbase on that bike? It's a small right?
On the large frame:

1193mm (46.96")

Find it hard to believe a single pivot with the pivot in that location could possibly pedal better than a Sunday??
I pedal my Primer uphill all the time (usually a 30+ min climb for a sub 4 min dh). You have to work for your DH on a lot of the trails here in Santa Cruz. I think the bike pedals great.

DanSheridan

Chimp
Feb 7, 2009
Ireland
Updated with new pics.

Spec:
Tomac Primer 220 with OC Tuned Fox RC4 shock.
OC Tuned Fox 40’s.
Novatec Demon wheel set.
Chromag OSX handlebars
Chromag Director stem.
Chromag Lynx saddle.
Chromag seat clamp.
Gamut P30 chain guide with Gamut race ring.
Thomson master piece seat post.
Superstar headset.
Shimano Saint front brake, XT rear brake, Aztec discs.
Shimano Saint cranks.
Shimano XTR Shifter.
Shimano Ultrega mech.
Shimano 105 Cassette.
Sram Chain.