Quantcast

my 24 hour solo race recap

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
I paid at 10:00 (start time 12)
10:01 the rain started (just like last year even though the race was bumped up an entire month)

lap 1 - start 1/4 mile run then a 10.5 mile bike. I went way to fast. i didnt blow but i was above my hr target the whole time
lap 2 - 2 miles in climbing a rocky wet rise CRACK!!! the setpost binder bolt breaks off and i fall off the back of the bike, still clipped in and hit the rocks hard. luckily i land on my right side because my left still hurts from a crash 2 months ago. I decide i cant yeld the time to go back and get a good bike so i decide to finish the next 8 miles standing. Felt ok but my hands and feet hurt. i had to use a friend as a pacer to keep from pushing to hard and blowing up.
lap #3 - went well nothing special felt good stated thinking about eating real food. 1st mile and last miles clay ground starting to clump
lap #4 - Everything was good no problem. Still pretty much on course to finish my goal of 12 laps and actually on couse to do 16 if i run the exact same way the rest of the night.
lap 5 - mile in tires, fork, brakes, pedals, drive train and everything else clumps with adobe (thats what the indians call it - clay, grass and water.) clean everything jump on clip in and KEEKKEKEKEKEKKEK rear derailleur goes all bad can bends frame.

I had a spare bike that i was using be decided to bag on the race because i need at least one good bike to race on the rest of the season. We've already had 2 races this fall in the rain, now this one and this weekends race will be muddy. we need a little brake.

today my whole right side hurts from the fall.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Man, that's one thing I don't like about racing, when you're doing really well and a mechanical bites you. Just going solo takes a huge commitment and monster size balls. Congrats, get it next time :)

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Wait to give it a go Tony. Sorry to hear about your saddle problems. That's the LAST thing you need to happen during a 24 Hour race, or ANY race!

Good job.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by I Are Baboon
Bummer about the mechanical problems! Tony, are you EVER going to be 100% healthy again?

Huge hats off to you for even trying a 24 hour solo race.
Thanks! and good question probably not until i quit racing.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by Heidi
I can't stop laughing at your shirt Tony. That's so funny!:p

So, will you do another solo?
hehehe i got them for my crew too and they loved them and wore them the whole entire time!
Solo? ummmmm not ever,never,ever,never in the rain again even on a team never again. i'm not sure i'll attempt solo again right now. The training time, expense, equptment costs is just so high i'm not sure i want too. If i were to do it i'd rather do another soon so i dont have to do much training to get into shape for it.
t

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by The Toninator
hehehe i got them for my crew too and they loved them and wore them the whole entire time!
Solo? ummmmm not ever,never,ever,never in the rain again even on a team never again. i'm not sure i'll attempt solo again right now. The training time, expense, equptment costs is just so high i'm not sure i want too. If i were to do it i'd rather do another soon so i dont have to do much training to get into shape for it.
t
Well, supposedly you don't need any more training than "normal". A lot of the endurance athletes say they do the same amount, maybe 1 ride a week that is a little longer. Other than that, they do the normal intervals and tempo rides.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
yo toni, sorry to hear about the problems dude! it always sucks to have shiet like that happen :( you'll get em next time though bro.