Quantcast

My 29'er has multiplied

BrickTop

Chimp
Oct 29, 2002
Durango, CO
If you remember recently I posted the pix of my new SS Karate Monkey. Such a cool bike....I really enjoying changing it up and taking it for a spin.

Fast forward - I've decided to compete in the Great Divide Race (I have some experience with solo 24s and 100s) next year and need a 29'er hardtail. I've ordered all the parts to convert the KM over to geared/front suspension. Well, last night a few things occurred to me:

1. I really hate to take this new SS and break it down right away. It's too fun.

2. After the race next year I have a box of unused parts after I convert the KM back to SS.

3. My main bike for trail riding is my Intense 5.5; I'm set there.

4. This leaves my Intense Spider, which I used to race on, hanging there collecting dust as I am poaching its crankset and I don't ride it much anyway and don't plan to.

*Insert Lightbulb*

Sell the Spider frame and Fox fork, keep the components for various backups, etc. and buy ANOTHER Karate Monkey frame for the geared/suspension build!!!! The KM frame is very inexpensive, so it makes a lot of financial sense as I will be selling a high end frame fork to recoop the costs. I have all but like one part to build up the new geared KM, so I'm pretty much set......and I get to keep the SS!!

So somehow I now will own (2) Karate Monkeys (one SS, one geared), (1) Intense 5.5 and (1) Santa Cruz Bullit.

I love it when a plan comes together.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
BrickTop said:
If you remember recently I posted the pix of my new SS Karate Monkey. Such a cool bike....I really enjoying changing it up and taking it for a spin.

Fast forward - I've decided to compete in the Great Divide Race (I have some experience with solo 24s and 100s) next year and need a 29'er hardtail. I've ordered all the parts to convert the KM over to geared/front suspension. Well, last night a few things occurred to me:

1. I really hate to take this new SS and break it down right away. It's too fun.

2. After the race next year I have a box of unused parts after I convert the KM back to SS.

4. This leaves my Intense Spider, which I used to race on, hanging there collecting dust as I am poaching its crankset and I don't ride it much anyway and don't plan to.

*Insert Lightbulb*

Sell the Spider frame and Fox fork, keep the components for various backups, etc. and buy ANOTHER Karate Monkey frame for the geared/suspension build!!!! The KM frame is very inexpensive, so it makes a lot of financial sense as I will be selling a high end frame fork to recoop the costs. I have all but like one part to build up the new geared KM, so I'm pretty much set......and I get to keep the SS!!

So somehow I now will own (2) Karate Monkeys (one SS, one geared), (1) Intense 5.5 and (1) Santa Cruz Bullit.

If you love the Intense Spider, you do know you can order one with 29er wheels???

Intense Spider 29: http://www.intensecycles.com

BrickTop

Chimp
Oct 29, 2002
Durango, CO
BrickTop said:

*Insert Lightbulb*

She multiplied.......

Ultimately I'll probably run a suspension seatpost and some small bar ends for long distance comfort, but I like how she turned out.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Are the Nano's gonna be strong enough for a ride like that???

I know some folk had some problems on the Ouachita Challenge last year on them... esp. with mud and sharp rocks.

BrickTop

Chimp
Oct 29, 2002
Durango, CO
N8 said:
Are the Nano's gonna be strong enough for a ride like that???

I know some folk had some problems on the Ouachita Challenge last year on them... esp. with mud and sharp rocks.
Yeah, we'll see. Starting today everything on the bike is up for thrash testing. I want to see what lasts and what doesn't. The 2006 winner of the GDR finished on one pair of these....so there are some success stories. :)

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
BrickTop said:
It is CLOSE. Definitely one to keep on eye on. Would a Shimano provide more clearance?
Check the Surly Blog for recommended Front derailleurs.

I have an old XT that worked well, only very minimal rub - barely noticeable and I was running exiwolfs without monkey nuts.

If you want it, I'd send it to you for like $10.00 and shipping.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
BrickTop said:
Yeah, we'll see. Starting today everything on the bike is up for thrash testing. I want to see what lasts and what doesn't. The 2006 winner of the GDR finished on one pair of these....so there are some success stories. :)

That's cool.. the Nano's are quite fast on hard pack though! Quicker than Specialized FastTraks that's for sure..

Cloxxki

Chimp
May 9, 2006
Aaaah, that's the solution with Surlies, get more than one of each. I like my Cross-Check so much as a SS, that I have never put gears on it, and since I sold my CX spare/training bike to somewhat fund it, I'm now without a CX spare/training bike. The CC is always in 42/16 gear for commuting on fatties.

I loved how my KM worked as a 1x9, but it's so cool as a SS...I changed it back and now have the shift bits littering my bike room. My KM will get a 3rd life now as a commuter/adventurebike, Midge drop bar and 1x5 drivetrain. Redline Monocog to take over the SS duties, and relative new Paragon 2005 does the geared training/marathon stuff.
Not really a good plan, but it should work out nicely for me :-)

I really would have wanted I could justify multiple identical Surlies. But then, perhaps I just did? I better not get started, I own a KM, Pacer and Cross-Check...

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
N8 said:
I think I am the only 29er SSer that never had a Surly to start with...
....not soo fast there mister :) I am simply loving my SS 29er (non-KM) I have spent the last three weeks riding it exclusively, last night I put some miles on the Turner RFX & I was simply stunned at how awkward it felt....very eye opening. I too am selling one of the steeds (Evil Sovereign) to fund my soon arriving Turner Sultan (29er)...can't wait!!!:love: