Quantcast

My 30 pound cat........

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Ciaran said:
I don't mean to be the downer, and I too love big kitties, but if that cat is big because he's overweight then it's kinda cruel.

Cats will eat till they pop. As a kitty parent you should regulate your kitties food intake. An overweight kitty can lead to a kittie with diabetes, and joint problems (as wel as other health problems). And I'm sure you love your kittie (as I love mine) and don't want him to have health problems that could shorten his life.

And if he's just a big (not overweight) kitty then :eek: !!

That aside he sure is one durn cute kitty!
Thanks Dr. Ciaran ;) but he's been on weightloss formula cat food since way before he was this big. He eats the recomened ammounts and no more. He doesn't get table scraps or get into the trash or anything like that. There is something wrong with him. Unfortunately he was rescued from a real asshole and I don't have the money to put him on insulin or whatever the hell he needs to loose weight. he is happy now and isn't in any pain. We have made the decision to put him down when it comes to that. For now, I bath him so that his skin and hair don't get nasty and irritated and I brush him daily since he can't clean himself. Thats all I can really do. That and show him off like a trohpy.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
laura said:
Thanks Dr. Ciaran ;) but he's been on weightloss formula cat food since way before he was this big. He eats the recomened ammounts and no more. He doesn't get table scraps or get into the trash or anything like that. There is something wrong with him. Unfortunately he was rescued from a real asshole and I don't have the money to put him on insulin or whatever the hell he needs to loose weight. he is happy now and isn't in any pain. We have made the decision to put him down when it comes to that. For now, I bath him so that his skin and hair don't get nasty and irritated and I brush him daily since he can't clean himself. Thats all I can really do. That and show him off like a trohpy.
Awsome. It sounds like you have really done everything you possibly could for the kitty. It's always good to hear about good pet owners. I only asked because as a lover of big kitties I over fed my cat. The vet explained to me why it was bed for him and I stopped feeding him so much. He's much happier now that he can run and play.

Good on you for being so great to your kitty! :thumb:

BillT

Monkey
Our cat is just big...he's pretty muscular, huge paws, and barely eats a thing. Our 12lb Siamese easily eats twice as much as he does. He has no interest in anything other than his dry cat food - he's turned his nose up at salmon and tuna on multiple occasions much to the delight of our other cats as it meant more for them.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
BillT said:
Our cat is just big...he's pretty muscular, huge paws, and barely eats a thing. Our 12lb Siamese easily eats twice as much as he does. He has no interest in anything other than his dry cat food - he's turned his nose up at salmon and tuna on multiple occasions much to the delight of our other cats as it meant more for them.

Thas how smokie is. His sister eats everything, but he really cares nothing for human food. He did however cough up a mouse size ball of ponytail holders once. I think maybe his gut is full of non food items.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Ciaran said:
I don't mean to be the downer, and I too love big kitties, but if that cat is big because he's overweight then it's kinda cruel.

Cats will eat till they pop. As a kitty parent you should regulate your kitties food intake. An overweight kitty can lead to a kittie with diabetes, and joint problems (as wel as other health problems). And I'm sure you love your kittie (as I love mine) and don't want him to have health problems that could shorten his life.

And if he's just a big (not overweight) kitty then :eek: !!

That aside he sure is one durn cute kitty!
I bet your nuts just shrank a size or two from the over use of the word kitty.

BillT

Monkey
laura said:
Thas how smokie is. His sister eats everything, but he really cares nothing for human food. He did however cough up a mouse size ball of ponytail holders once. I think maybe his gut is full of non food items.
How funny! That is pretty much how it is with my cats. Squeakers, the Siamese, eats everything and is in the kitchen immediately once someone is there to act pathetic and get food while Sushi doesn't care about food at all but he has eaten parts of our berber carpet and I've had the pleasure of pulling 18" of a rope handle out of his butt one morning and prevent him from eating the belt to my wife's bathrobe by pulling a good portion of it out his throat. Fortunately I think he's outgrown this stuff as most of this occured when he was less than 2 years old (he's now a little over 3 years).

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
While we're on the subject of fat cats, this is my 15-pounder chocolate lynx point Siamese cat. He's 7 and has been on diet food (Hill's) for about five years. He lives with my mom and she insists on leaving food out at all times for all three of the cats... so he just eats and eats and eats. I feel so bad about it, but I am allergic to cats and can't rescue him from his fatty-fat household.

Bigger image

Attachments

Capt. Jack Sparrow said:
While we're on the subject of fat cats, this is my 15-pounder chocolate lynx point Siamese cat. He's 7 and has been on diet food (Hill's) for about five years. He lives with my mom and she insists on leaving food out at all times for all three of the cats... so he just eats and eats and eats. I feel so bad about it, but I am allergic to cats and can't rescue him from his fatty-fat household.

Bigger image

Dear lord he looks like a mini kangoroo!

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
laura said:
ah yes, pulling inedibles out of the butt. My favorite way to start the day.
I once pulled a foot long plus piece of hair from my cat's butt. what made it nasty was the quarter-sized dingleberry that was attached to it.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
laura said:
ah yes, pulling inedibles out of the butt. My favorite way to start the day.
Christmas time around my house is fun. Our little tortie LOVES to eat christmas ribbons.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
BillT said:
Here's my 25 lbs of fur and fury, the Great Sushi Monster:

Is he for sale? I can Paypal you the money and send a forklift to pick him up. My monster of a cat is at a mear 14#. However she can kick any dog's ass up to about the 80# mark. I'll post pictures later when I can find 'em.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
moff_quigley said:
I once pulled a foot long plus piece of hair from my cat's butt. what made it nasty was the quarter-sized dingleberry that was attached to it.
My cat was coughing and wheezing for 2-3 days. I really couldn't figure out why. I guessed he had allergies or something. Then one day I looked down and he had the tip of a blade of grass coming out his nose so I gave it a tug. And then a little more tugging. and then some more. Turns out it was about 6" long. That must have been irritating as hell. Poor cat. No dingle berries though.

kindtrails

Monkey
May 23, 2006
Humboldt
I had a 31 pound cat. He dissappeared for 17 days once. I thought that he wondered off into the woods and he was a goner. Then he showed up one afternoon. We barely recognized him. He was looked in the neighbor's garage. For 17 days! He only weighed 13 pounds upon his return!

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
laura said:
He did however cough up a mouse size ball of ponytail holders once.
One of the barn cats where I worked came trotting into the barn one afternoon with a freshly killed rabbit. He looked hurt when I yelled at him to drop it.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
stevew said:
One of the barn cats where I worked came trotting into the barn one afternoon with a freshly killed rabbit. He looked hurt when I yelled at him to drop it.

used to have a couple of yard cats years ago.
the female would leave a dead lizard, bird, chipmunk etc....on our back porch mat almost every morning. then she would sit off to the side with a very proud stance until she made sure one of us saw it.
only then would she sneak away with it. (breakfast, i'm sure.)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My cat leaves half eaten rabbits on my front porch. Not a fattie but rather large and athletic. He's a killing machine, chases stray dogs out of the yard too.