Quantcast

My $54 Single Speed Dirt Jumper and the "Bro Box"

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I just finished up my latest project. The frame was something I bought for a good friend a few years back when he turned 16, now he has a few other bikes so he offered me the frame back. The fork was a freebie from a different friend. The rest of the parts were deals I got through the shop or out of our "Bro Box" which is a large bin we keep used parts in for "the bro's".

In total I spent $54 out of pocket for tires, tubes, headset, stem, bottom bracket and brake cable/housing. The rest of the build was "Bro Box" swag.

(camera phone crapola)

Frame: 17" '01 Kona Kaboom SS 26" BMX.
Fork: '02 Psylo XC with Duke air assist, 20mm Tulio, 80-125mm.
Wheels: Ryno Lite, 14g spokes, brass, 16t freewheel, SS disc hubs
Brake: Shimano Alivio V w/Avid SD7
Cranks: Shimano Alivio w/32t ring and Race Face bash
BB: Shimano UN53
Pedals: Redline Sealed Platforms
Bars: Old School moto bars cut way down
Stem: Diamond Back BMX cheapie
Grips: Raleigh "Ruffian" style
Seat: Fizik
Collar: Salsa Flip-Lock
Tires: High Roller Semi-Slicks (AWESOME)!
Tubes: Conti Schrader with threaded valve stems
Headset: Tioga Sealed threadless

Not bad for $54 if I do say so myself. I went out on her maiden voyage to Elings park after work tonight, it's super fun relearning how to ride with no rear shock, no front brake and semi-slick tires. :D . Jumps seem twice as big and tight corners twice as intimidating. It's coming back to me though, after all it has been a decade since I owned a hardtail. All I can say is WOW, so much fun! I'm off tomorrow, you can guess what I'll be up to :sneaky:

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
SirChomps-a-Lot said:
Those bars are janky.
Dude, It's a $54 bike! most high end bars cost more than $54 themselves.

Sean, were you able to hit the trails on it yet? Sure fully's are fun, but a post work tall can/dj session with some homies is pretty damn entertaining.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
scurban said:
Dude, It's a $54 bike! most high end bars cost more than $54 themselves.

Sean, were you able to hit the trails on it yet? Sure fully's are fun, but a post work tall can/dj session with some homies is pretty damn entertaining.
I rode the Elings park track (berms/tables) and a trail here in SB today. Awesome bike, glad I have it to hone my lacking hardtail skills. Such a fun bike but it does kick my ass hard. :D The 32/16 ratio is great but climbing steep roads/trails is pretty tough.