Quantcast

My 6 million dollar dog

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
well drop a few of those zeros but damn doggie surgery is expensive.

Anywho Kosmo got his stitches out of the surgical area where they fused the bones in his paw where the ligaments got torn and so to keep the suspensory ligaments intact in the other paw while the repaired one heals and can't take any load, his walking boot/splint for the right leg arrived today. here he is strutting down the runway in Paris showing off the latest in doggie prosthetics

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
^^^^^^^Wow.

I love my dogs, but I probably would have put them down before that happened.
Why not? we have the money, In 6 months it will be like it never happened as far as Kozmo is concerned. He is just turning 4 and he has at least 8-9 years ahead of him. This process will allow him to run, jump and play with the other dogs pain free

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Why not? we have the money, In 6 months it will be like it never happened as far as Kozmo is concerned. He is just turning 4 and he has at least 8-9 years ahead of him. This process will allow him to run, jump and play with the other dogs pain free
Don't get me wrong, if we had the money, then yes, certainly. Both of our dogs are rescues with bad histories of abuse, so it's not like we don't care. But there is NO WAY we have 6 grand to sink into a dog, no matter how much we love them. If you and Ruth (?) can, then more power to you. :thumb:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
That tread on the boot doesn't look good for high side load cornering. Should mount up some Maxxis Minion tread on there.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
Don't get me wrong, if we had the money, then yes, certainly. Both of our dogs are rescues with bad histories of abuse, so it's not like we don't care. But there is NO WAY we have 6 grand to sink into a dog, no matter how much we love them. If you and Ruth (?) can, then more power to you. :thumb:

you are assuming way more $$ I was parodying the name of the old TV show. about 1/2 that amount

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Shanahan would throw sticks for him all day.
Damn must spread rep :)

Good luck with recovery pooch! Our Kona had a couple surgeries over the last year and we're in about 4 grand... still paying on that... thank goodness for Care Credit!!!! Her leg got snapped in half when she got lost and now you'd never know it happened, and she is 8! :)

BUFFALO

Vigorous Giver of Reputation
Feb 11, 2005
Renton, wa
Damn dogs!
They are expensive but also family. Not really any other choice but to fix them when they're broke.
just like bikes!

Flyin_W

Chimp
Jan 4, 2013
For the Resident Curmudgeon you have a heart of gold.
Kozmo really is one very lucky pooch, looks determined, and
will repay your kindness tenfold. Non-pet people will never get this.

My pooch [Daly] lived a full life when @ 7 yrs. was told he was chronic idiomatic (liver failure).
Spent $$$ we didn't have, and never for one second regretted that decision.
Here he is smiling & happy to be on land after a full day on the river.

So....go-go-go Kozmo :thumb:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Eric, why does everybody in your life have problems with their legs?

Pooch looks like he's taking it like a champ though! One thing you've got to love about dogs is that they don't feel sorry for themselves. They just pick themselves up and get moving.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Eric, why does everybody in your life have problems with their legs?

Pooch looks like he's taking it like a champ though! One thing you've got to love about dogs is that they don't feel sorry for themselves. They just pick themselves up and get moving.
Could you be Eric's long lost love child?

SlapheadMofo

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Westminster MA
Cool brace.
Our mutt has had his ACL's (or whatever the canine version is) done in both back legs at about $2k each.
Pretty common when they trash one for the other to go a few years down the road due to them favoring it I guess.

I would've been perfectly happy w/ a two- or three-legged dawg, but the wife wouldn't go for it.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
One thing that may scare me away from becoming a vet is people who would rather put their pet down than pay the bill for something treatable. If I do become a vet I'll probably end up doing a lot of work at cost or out of my own pocket.

When our family dog was young, he got heartworms and the surgery to fix it was pretty expensive, but I think we had some kind of insurance that covered most of it. I was too young to remember what insurance it was but it may have been my parent's homeowners insurance.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
One thing that may scare me away from becoming a vet is people who would rather put their pet down than pay the bill for something treatable. If I do become a vet I'll probably end up doing a lot of work at cost or out of my own pocket.

When our family dog was young, he got heartworms and the surgery to fix it was pretty expensive, but I think we had some kind of insurance that covered most of it. I was too young to remember what insurance it was but it may have been my parent's homeowners insurance.
A friend took her dog to a vet because it was badly ill. Treatment was going to be much more expensive than she could afford, so they gave her the option of treating the dog if she was willing to give it up to another home. It seemed like a pretty equitable solution to a bad situation. She would have known that it had survived and they didn't have to put down a dog or set themselves up to give out a bunch of free treatment in the future.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
not everyone can afford to pay $3,4,5k on their pets to get them fixed. our dogs needed a few expensive vet visits at a time when i could barely afford it but i still did it because they mean a ton to us.
and if you become a vet and do that, youll be broke fast. i have a few friends who are vets and none do anything at cost or pro bono...but that could be because they work for one of the largest animal hospitals in the country.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
One of the girls I know at work paid $10.5K for her Jack Russell to have some sort of spinal/neck surgery. The dog I think is 8 or 9. No way in hell I would have paid that for a dog. There are so many factors of what it is/how much it costs/the dog's quality of life/etc. It's hard to say. If you have the money and you want to do it, then go for it.