hope pro 2s on 729s...enduro steel bearings on front
35t e-13 ring on rf atlas 165 cranks and wellgo mg1 pedals
sram x9 all around with sram pg970dh cassette
juicy 7 with 8" hope floating discs
maxxis 2.5 minion dhf 40a front/maxxis 2.5 minion dhr 42a rear
old school maxxis 2.5 downhill tubes
thomson seatpost and wtb rocket v seat

total weight: 41ish lb

waiting for the last piece of the puzzle...
gamut p30 with the vpp2 backplate

future improvements...
switch the code calipers i have leftover onto the juicy levers(maybe)
get stratline levers for my juicy(maybe)
enduro fork seals (i have them on my desk but too lazy to put it on)
ebc brake pads (same reason as above)
spray the frame to banana yellow(if the frame lasts > 1 year which i doubt)

and..if i have the coin..
elka shock/obtainium or dsp ti spring

Last edited:

AzN_devil

Monkey
Jun 18, 2009
Hong Kong
Why a small? How tall are you? Looks sweet.
im short...5' 7"...

very nice sled there. :)
question though: how come you chose 165mm cranks? Is that BB as low as the Demo 8's?
again...i chose the cranks b/c im short..
dont know about the new demo 8 but with sag the bb is lower than the 09 demo 8

im thinking of putting the angle reducer cups i had leftover from my old blindside on this and adjusting the back to move the bb up a bit but too lazy to do it

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Maybe that's the size he needs?:think:
Im 5'9" and got a small because that was the size I wanted. I was told I needed a med. The 951 is big.

AzN devil,
Have you messed with the G3 dropouts? I run mine in the shortest setting, which also gives you a higher BB.

Last edited:

AzN_devil

Monkey
Jun 18, 2009
Hong Kong
Im 5'9" and got a small because that was the size I wanted. I was told I needed a med. The 951 is big.

AzN devil,
Have you messes with the G3 dropouts. I run mine in the shortest setting, which also gives you a higher BB.
i tried running it in the mid setting...but it was twitchy going down steep stuff...
thats why i mentioned head angle reducer cups + short/mid setting...like sicklines has it

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Very sweet! My buddy got the raw and it looks great, plus you don't have to worry about scratches.

My friend also just ordered 165's, but it's because of the BB height. I'd have to agree it's the size to have... How much do you weigh?

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Im 175 or 180 with gear and run a 425 with a Roco. I get about 33% sag.

Last edited:

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
A little off topic, but this ^^^ seems to be a reason that some are not 100% happy with the 951 (fairly common complaints of not getting full travel, and feeling a hard ramp that cannot be overcome) . The drastic ramp in the suspension rate makes finding the correct spring quite hard.... as a HUGE range of springs all end up with just about 33% travel...

Look at something like the TFT calculator (in the 8" setting), and it puts AzN on a 325 spring, and Kanter on a 350...(it has been pretty spot on for me on several different frames)

as a comparison, I am about 190 and run a 350 spring on a bike with the same travel, and same shock length (just a much more linear rate). Before that, I ran a more progressive design with 8.5" of travel and only ran a 400. WBC (posts here) is 250lbs on a 951, and runs a 450 spring

AzN, I would guess, that you could go down significantly in rate and find the bike would ride a fair bit better...every metric you could look at says that you are way oversprung.

Last edited:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
A little off topic, but this ^^^ seems to be a reason that some are not 100% happy with the 951 (fairly common complaints of not getting full travel, and feeling a hard ramp that cannot be overcome) . The drastic ramp in the suspension rate makes finding the correct spring quite hard.... as a HUGE range of springs all end up with just about 33% travel...

Look at something like the TFT calculator (in the 8" setting), and it puts AzN on a 325 spring, and Kanter on a 350...(it has been pretty spot on for me on several different frames)

as a comparison, I am about 190 and run a 350 spring on a bike with the same travel, and same shock length (just a much more linear rate). Before that, I ran a more progressive design with 8.5" of travel and only ran a 400. WBC (posts here) is 250lbs on a 951, and runs a 450 spring

AzN, I would guess, that you could go down significantly in rate and find the bike would ride a fair bit better...every metric you could look at says that you are way oversprung.
I really think you are right. I ran a ti-400 and needed 4-5 turns of reload to get 33% sag. I found a deal where I could trade for a ti-425. Now, I run 2-3 turns of preload and get 33% sag. Ill probably end up running just enough preload to keep the spring tight and Ill run the compression backed off.

I carry a pack a lot of the time with water, so I imagine Im more like 185-190 in full gear. The 425 should be about perfect for me once this damn snow melts. I use the bike for a lot of FR, so I do want it to ramp up on drops.

I ran a 400 on my Socom and Intense tried to tell me I would need a 500. It seems like they have changed their spring rate recomendations though over the last few months. I think they are finding out a soft spring works better on the 951.

Last edited:

AzN_devil

Monkey
Jun 18, 2009
Hong Kong

i had a 350 before putting the 500 because it was back ordered..
i was around 50% sag and the bike would bottom on a 5 inch curb...that was pretty much unridable...my friend is running a 350 but he only weighs about 110lb..

the massive ramp up...yea i do feel it sometimes but its pretty acceptable after riding the bike for a bit

the tft calculator is correct for bikes running older suspension designs(single pivot, 4 bar) but it doesnt work for a blindside or 951 at least
the calculator said i need a ~400# spring...and i HAD to run a 500# to get proper sag

linkage is a lot more accurate in terms of spring calculation imo..the numbers are a lot closer to real life

to be honest..i can probabaly get away with a 450# but it isnt really THAT much of a difference...might as well live with it and see what happens

just a thought...maybe i need to get my shock custom tuned for more compression? i want to put the 8.5" mode to use but even with a 500# spring the bike sits too low in travel and rides like poo..