Quantcast

my ankle

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Tuesday while riding I dislocated & fractured (fracture distal tibia and fibula with slight widening of ankle mortise ). I see the ortho surg. todqay, but according to the hospital my surgery isn't until Aug 12th then 8-12 weeks off the ankle!

yes, my foot is dislocated & just flopped to the side in pic#1

after the docs snapped my ankle into place and put me in a temp. cast (pic#2)

Attachments

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Yowsers! Sorry to hear about that, Doug. 8-12 weeks, eh? Well that blows. Cheers to a speedy recovery. And yeah, how did you accomplish that injury?

So did it hurt when they snapped the ankle back into place? :monkey:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
You could have washed up before going to the hospital. I bet you also bring your bike into the shop caked in mud.

Sorry to hear about the cankle, heal up.

Sorgie

Monkey
May 20, 2005
Rochester
Looks familiar! I did the same thing about 3 years ago to my right ankle. Went off the trail, bike flopped one way, I went the other and my foot never unclipped. Basically lifted up and out of my ankle joint. I got a plate and 8 screws, but other than a 4" scar I would never know anything happened. Being that I'm sure you were in much better physical shape than me, you should be fine.
If you need something to look forward to, my PT was mostly going twice a week for an hour to have college PT girls stretch and massage my foot.
Hope you heal up soon!

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Goddam ankles. I broke my right one a couple years ago and almost broke my left one a couple months ago. The tendons take FOREVER to heal.

Get better man!

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Looks familiar! I did the same thing about 3 years ago to my right ankle. Went off the trail, bike flopped one way, I went the other and my foot never unclipped. Basically lifted up and out of my ankle joint.

pretty similar...was in the middle of a race ( tuesday race series), due to chain dropping I dropped 2 spots and was chasing hard to get them back, hit this spot with 2 bumps pretty fast, bike and me headed in different directions, then bike hit 2nd bump and went back as i was headed forward still pedaling (and clipped in)... all of the torque was applied to my ankle at once, so it dislocated and fractured. Painful and so nasty to watch!

and YES it hurt like hell when the Docs put it back in place!

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
A guy I know took his kid to the bmx track for the evening. At the end of the night, he took the kids 16" bike for a spin around the track and broke his foot off the end of his leg just like that. How embarrassing.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Been there, done that. Mine was dislocated 90 degrees to the left. Comminuted fracture of the fib and broke about 1/3 of the head of the tibia vertically. The reduction hurt worse than the break. OUCH! One ti plate and 11 screws (two removed about 2 months after initial surgery) and all is well.

Heal up!

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
won't look at pictures.....won't read description....

get well.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I went to the doc last week, 23 staples removed, couple x-rays & a new cast.

9 staples on this side, 14 on the other

xray

4 weeks in this

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
Damn, doctors are F'N butchers ha? You think that orthopedic surgery is all complex and stuff. They use the sterile versions of the same sh|t I have in my garage and use to fix things.

Good luck man. I'm so glad I don't ride / walk (before someone inserts the lynn woods pic) bikes anymore.