Quantcast

my apologies to McGRP01

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
you were right... I was wrong.

I picked up a set of nevegals early last winter. I rode them a few times and wasn't overly impressed with them. They weren't a bad tire, but considering the price tag and all the rave reviews they have been getting, I was expecting better.

I took them off in favor of my old standby, some Panaracer Cinders. I rode those most of the winter and all spring. But now that it is really drying up, I decided to give the Nevegals another shot.

I've ridden them the last 2 times out, and my opinion of them is definitely changing. If there is a firm surface, they will stick to it - it's pretty amazing. I'm still undecided as to how they do in loose stuff (leaves, loose soil, that sort of thing) where there is no firm surface to stick to.. they don't seem to have the "bite" I'm used to. I'm considering running a Nevegal in the back with something with a lot of bite in the front.

Oh, and they are definitely boat anchors, but seem to roll as well as any trail tire I've ridden.

So at this point, I'm not ready to say they are the best trail tire I've ever ridden, but if the trails are dry, the are certainly near the top of the list.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Yeah the Nevagals f'ing rock!

On my HT I feel like I have crampons strapped to my tires.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Blue Groove front/Nevegal rear on one of my bikes and it works quite well. The Stick-E versions roll slow but the DTC rolls much better. I'm going to try some Small Block 8s next but I don't see them working very well in the mud. DTC Karmas work pretty well around here too and can be quite light (425g for a claimed 480g tire).

cm16white

Monkey
Apr 16, 2006
shoreline
i run a hutchinson python 2.7 in the front and nevegal 2.5 on the rear and my bike rides like its on rails on almost everything except super loose stuff like gravel and sandy steeps

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Wumpus said:
Wait until you hit some dry dusty stuff and that BG sends you flying off the trail and nearly into a tree.:mumble:
Been riding the same combo for over a year and no complaints...

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
I Are Baboon said:
Where the hell is McGRP01? :mad:
Right here asshat. :p

Glad to here they're working out for you Jackson. The price is kinda steep, but I like 'em. No apology needed....just ride and enjoy! :thumb:

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
McGRP01 said:
The price is kinda steep, but I like 'em. No apology needed....just ride and enjoy! :thumb:
True, but sometimes you can get lucky and there's RM member selling them on Ebay for half price ;)...D

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
BMXman said:
True, but sometimes you can get lucky and there's RM member selling them on Ebay for half price ;)...D
In reality, I'm sponsored by Kenda so I get them real cheap. But Jackson doesn't need to know that. ;)