Quantcast

My backyard building Log.

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
So my parents have been nice enough to let me build some stuff in the yard before I move out. As long as I pay for everything and do the building myself.

So I built a quarter pipe a while back, its been a blast but I realized their is so much more potential in the yard then just a 4' quarter. So I then decided to build a trick jump.

frame

supports

finished product

It took some planning, thanks to everyone that helped me out in my last thread. Here where my final plans:

I got a bit of wood to start with and went ahead and made the frame for the mulch landing and finished it a few nights ago.

I decided to use the quarter pipe to get speed on for it, so i had to move it tot he other side of the sport court. That was hard, I used to jack and a 2by4 to lift it up a slid two dollys under it. It was sketchy but got the job done.

Just tonight I finished the kicker and started putting up the neting walls for landing. I'm really stoked. I also made the kicker a few feet taller then planned because i had some extra wood and it seemed right.

Suggestions are very welcome, I'm kinda new at building ramps other then whats shown in this thread so I'm not entirely sure on what I'm doing.

I'll keep updating this thread though as things go along.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
looks good ! transitions look well cut and good idea to use 2X6's instead of 2X4's.

are you planning on building a tall drop-in ramp / bank / quarter to get speed to hit your 6' tall box jump ?

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
id kill for that set up. just see what works, try different configurations to get speed. have a blast!

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
looks good ! transitions look well cut and good idea to use 2X6's instead of 2X4's.

are you planning on building a tall drop-in ramp / bank / quarter to get speed to hit your 6' tall box jump ?
Actualy I used 2x4s for pretty much everything but I did use the 2x6s for connecting the top to the bottom half of the kicker. and 1x4s for some of the supports.

If you look at the second to last picture, you can see I moved my quarter pipe to other end of the court. So I am going to see if I can get enough speed from dropping in off that.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

sealclubber

Monkey
Nov 21, 2007
good luck with speed man. that takeoff is waaay too big to get ample speed from the quater to comfortably toss tricks, let alone even boost much.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
. . . .
. . . .
If you look at the second to last picture, you can see I moved my quarter pipe to other end of the court. So I am going to see if I can get enough speed from dropping in off that.
. . . .
Unless you have space to get in 4 or 5 full cranks, you won't have enough speed. You need the elevation difference--your drop-in quarter has to be taller than your box jump lip. Usually at bikeparks, the drop-in is significantly taller. Not unusual to see a drop-in quarter/bank that is double the height of the box jump.

Haplipe

Monkey
Feb 7, 2006
Arvada
I decided to use the quarter pipe to get speed on for it, so i had to move it tot he other side of the sport court. That was hard, I used to jack and a 2by4 to lift it up a slid two dollys under it. It was sketchy but got the job done.

Suggestions are very welcome, I'm kinda new at building ramps other then whats shown in this thread so I'm not entirely sure on what I'm doing.

Could you possibly put a lip perpendicular or near it to the quarter your using for speed so you make that into a hip a hip. If that happened you could have an extra jump and also have tons more speed for your trick jump. Cant really see the run in for it so it might not be possible, but its just an idea. Im digging the setup, keep at it bro. Its the best once you get a nice setup at your place.

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
The speed is a big issue, I was thinking of making a roll in like the one in this video, the guy does it at 228. Would that be good? maybe have it like 3 feet tall?

Anyway today I put the wood on, its starting to actualy look like a jump now. I just need to buy another piece of playwood.

Edit: and the bricks are becasue it started to get warped since it was wet from soaking it in the pool.

rich- that looks good, just don't think I have any use for the wood, i really already got everything besides a few small pieces.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
That video you found is an excellent model to go follow. Tall quarter with roll-in on one side, box jump in middle, and tall bank/quarter on other side. You may be able to fit that on your basketball court (esp. if you have the roll-in ramp and turn-around quarter mostly on the grass).

You could use the 6 foot tall quarter for your roll-in quarter, and build another box-jump launch that is 4 or 5 foot tall.

This is the roll-in you are talking about at 228 in the video:

Last edited:

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
That video you found is an excellent model to go follow. Tall quarter with roll-in on one side, box jump in middle, and tall bank/quarter on other side. You may be able to fit that on your basketball court (esp. if you have the roll-in ramp and turn-around quarter mostly on the grass).

You could use the 6 foot tall quarter for your roll-in quarter, and build another box-jump launch that is 4 or 5 foot tall.

This is the roll-in you are talking about at 228 in the video:

Ya thats exactly it. I've actualy ridden their, the roll in is really smooth and its a great set up. But I am keeping to what I already have built, after the mulch landing I will proply make a berm with a bunch of rollers that takes you back the quarter pipe where I might try and build a hip into the quarter.

But I'm trying to figure out if building that roll in will give me enough speed.

These old school skateboard half-pipe plans have a bit on roll-ins. Yours will be a little different, but still a good read:

http://www.geocities.com/upsetbmx/thrasher-ramp-plans9.jpg
Good info, They said 6 foot radius for the roll in, that seems about right.

3ft roller? comfortably, i'd go for 12 or so. that's what the rye roll in is for the 6 foot box.
On top of the quarter pipe is would be 7 feet tall.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
. . . .
But I'm trying to figure out if building that roll in will give me enough speed.
. . .
On top of the quarter pipe is would be 7 feet tall.

. . . .
dude ! we're telling you that a 7 foot tall drop-in is NOT TALL ENOUGH to generate speed to (decently) jump a 6 foot tall box jump. the only way that would work is if you got several cranks in, which you are not going to have space to do on a basketball court.

think about it this way: if you want to get 5 feet of air above a 6 foot tall launch, the drop-in should be 11 feet tall. you are getting back up to the same elevation you just came from.

how tall was the roll-in for Kevin Robinson's high air in central park? it was 60 feet (i think). why? because he was trying to get 27 feet of air over a 25 foot tall quarter.

the drop-in at that skatepark in the video looks about 8 feet above the ground, and the box jump looks about 4 feet tall. makes sense. drop-in twice as tall as the jump.

(i know my version of this is a little simplistic.... your ability to pump your drop-in transition and your launch transition will give you added boost... but the principle is still there.... you should not have to struggle to boost a box jump. you should just drop in and blast. )

Last edited:

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
Ok I understand now, thanks for that post cmc. It would be really hard to make a 12 foot roll in but I guess thats what needs to be done. But I think I do have a few more options for getting speed.

I could:

a) come in from the street, pedal really hard, go through the side yard, and then come in with speed to hit the jump. But that would be time consuming and I would have to move the jump 8 feet to the left. Plus it wouldn't have that much flow.

b) I possibly keep everything the way it is and build a hip into the quarter pipe just a bit higher, starting next to the jump and hopefully I would get enough speed from hitting and pumping down that to hit the jump, but most likely not, but probly more then just dropping in.

c) I make a roller like the one in the video, but it couldn't be 12 feet high (parents don't like the idea and neighbores would probly compain) so like 9feet MAX including the quarter, I could pump the **** out of it but idk if it would be high enough.

Here I'll try and make some diagrams on paint or whatever to show you what i'm thinking. just let me know if I got the right idea.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Cool, well if 9 feet is your max height, then use the 6 foot tall launch you built as the roll-in, with a 3 foot roll-in section placed on top of it, for a total of 9 feet.

Then make a new box jump launch that is about 4 feet tall. Four might sound small, but it really isn't--plenty of dudes blast off 4 foot tall lips.

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
Ok I definatly do not want to do something like that just yet. I would like this jump to stay as big as possible.

But lets go back to the roll in; I basicly just want to put one on top of the quarter pipe, so with the kicker being exactly 5' 10" tall and the gap between that and the possible drop in being 25' distance . What is the minimum height the roll in should be?

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
I will ignore your requirement that the "kicker" remain 5'10" tall. We already said that the roll-in needs to be roughly double the height of the launch. That's your answer. 12 feet tall roll in. If you want the roll-in to be only 8 feet tall like in the picture below, then your launch should be 4 feet tall.

This is a very rough idea of one way to use a basketball court. (A high school basketball court is about 84 feet long X 50 feet wide) And this would only be the left half lengthwise half of the court. The other lengthwise half would have maybe a spine, or narrower doubles going the other way... or 4 ft. tranny to wall ride etc.

EDIT to drawing above.... you'd either want to be able to crank around the box jump to really blast the 8 foot quarter.... or you'd want the box jump to have a longer deck.... definitely do some research before actually building it with the above dimensions....

Last edited:

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
I will ignore your requirement that the "kicker" remain 5'10" tall. We already said that the roll-in needs to be roughly double the height of the launch. That's your answer. 12 feet tall roll in. If you want the roll-in to be only 8 feet tall like in the picture below, then your launch should be 4 feet tall.

This is a very rough idea of one way to use a basketball court. (A high school basketball court is about 84 feet long X 50 feet wide) And this would only be the left half lengthwise half of the court. The other lengthwise half would have maybe a spine, or narrower doubles going the other way... or 4 ft. tranny to wall ride etc.

EDIT to drawing above.... you'd either want to be able to crank around the box jump to really blast the 8 foot quarter.... or you'd want the box jump to have a longer deck.... definitely do some research before actually building it with the above dimensions....
A few things, first of all my sport court is only 20ft by 40ft. Second of all I do no want to change the set up. I have no desire to blast up 8 foot quarter pipes. I want to blast through a huge double.

Second of all I am not made of money, there is no way in hell I could even afford one of those structures with everything I have already spent.

And lastly may dad is very disapointed when i pointed out I needed to make a roll in. But he basicly said he wants me to finish it, and after its done we could look into options of speed, I may cut the kicker down a bit. But I would either include a huge hip, a high roll in, or something I think of or you guys help me with that doesn't include making a woodward west in my back yard. Thank you very much.

sealclubber

Monkey
Nov 21, 2007
dude you simply cannot blast a huge double in the area of a sport court. a 4' lip will be plenty big to do whatever you can imagine.

if you wanna blast a huge double, it wont be in your back yard.

i can hit backflips on my snowboard off lips twice the height of my boots, 2 feet. ive rotated the same flip on my bike off the same size jump (not landed clean though).

a trick jump shouldnt be HUGE, it should be comfortable.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Setup looks sick. I don't know what kind of space you have, but you could pedal fast enough on flat to boost that sucker. Little roll in with some pedaling should be money.

Andy_Warden

Chimp
Nov 21, 2008
Little bit of plywood on the roof (I dunno i know nothing about wood) about 6 foot long, to drop into that quarter below? Be scary and steep but if you got it perfect on your rigid bike you'd be rolling for sure. Only thing would be riding on the roof, and the quarter possibly being too steep (it doesn't look near vert from the pics but could be wrong...

so far, even with your best case scenario, you'll need to be pedalling hard to the kicker and most likely halfway up it too, to get any air off that sucker. forget about having enough boost to trick it unless something drastically changes...

Last edited:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
A few things, first of all my sport court is only 20ft by 40ft. Second of all I do no want to change the set up. I have no desire to blast up 8 foot quarter pipes. I want to blast through a huge double.

Second of all I am not made of money, there is no way in hell I could even afford one of those structures with everything I have already spent.

And lastly may dad is very disapointed when i pointed out I needed to make a roll in. But he basicly said he wants me to finish it, and after its done we could look into options of speed, I may cut the kicker down a bit. But I would either include a huge hip, a high roll in, or something I think of or you guys help me with that doesn't include making a woodward west in my back yard. Thank you very much.
okay fair enough, you can't afford a dream park in your backyard....

a high roll-in--either quarterpipe style, or flat-bank style like the way Colton did it-- is the cheapest and most effective way to get speed in a small area. gravity is your friend.

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
Ok thanks guys, I think what I'm going to do is basicly cut the kicker down a bit, like a foot. And then build a roll in like on top of my quarter, not sure how high yet though.

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
Ok I finished the kicker. Cut it down to 5 feet and put the rest of the plywood on.

I've been doing some run ups and I definatly have enough speed to actualy make the jump but it would have to be about a 3 foot gap and not a lot of boost. So a run in is probly going to be made.

Also i'm going to cut down the landing from 8 feet to about that same hight as the kicker.

On the side I have a ton of scrap wood, I decided that I could probly make a sweet cable cam with it. So heres what I made so far. The camera is going to go on a pivotal think underneith and it glides along a rope.