dsb18292

Chimp
Mar 24, 2009
Just posting this up for the monkeys to see

Build spec:
XL Paradox
2009 Reba Team Maxle
CC S3 headset
LX 2pc cranks, 22-32-saint bash guard(small and light)
LX shifters
Saint rear, SLX front derailleurs
Wheelset: Saint rear hub, WTB front hub, WTB Speeddisc AM hoops, tubeless conversion
Tires: Ardent 2.25 F, Michelin XC AT 2.1 R
XT M760 brakes, 7in/6in rotors
Easton bars/stem (65mm Havoc stem, 710mm x 30mm rise Vice bars)
Whatever seat I can get out the junk bin (I am now officially broke )

By my calculations the build cost was just over $1600
Could have done it cheaper, but I really didn't want to compromise strength or function.

ride impressions:
The frame is STIFF. That is good and bad. Power transfer is instantaneous. Steering is incredibly accurate. Handling is confident and playful. It is easy to get the front end up. The bike manuals well, something I haven't seen on a 29er before. And yes, it does feel flickable when you get the tires off the ground.

Vertical compliance?
Not so much. I remember seeing an i-bike interview where Jay eluded to the fact that there may be more compliance in the tire/wheel than the frame. I believe that is true, cause I can't detect any bounce or flex coming from the chainstays/seatstays. The ride is about the same as my previous 26in SC Chameleon and Specialized RockHopper frames. I had hoped it would be a bit more comfortable.

Overall I am happy with the build and the frameset lives up to it's billing. Will the snappy handling and fun nature of this be enough to backseat the comfort issue??? Time will tell.

It is way shorter from the saddle tip to the center of the bars than I am familiar with, but it works. Might match up on reach/stack measurements, but I haven't checked that out yet.

The short stem gives instant change in direction. It is pretty awesome to climb tech terrain with it. Not even a second though about threading the needle though a rock crack.

The wide bars and short stem are the ticket for guiding the big front wheel. No longer does it feel like I am lagging. There is no 29er lethargy. Just crisp and snappy handling.

For the record I am about 1.5in shorter from saddle tip to stem than my FS 26er rig.

Attachments