Quantcast

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Little tricky question for you guys, this is regarding bar height. Usually i just set the bars where i want, but lately im having a little bit of trouble. Right now, i have spent most of my recent time riding my killswitch, it has 1 inch rise bars on it. the bars are LOW

I planned to change, so i threw on another half inch of rise (1.5 now) ride it all the time, steerer is short, so it "is what it is" I have gone from thinking they are stupidly low, to really liking it, feel very in touch with the bike, feel like i can corner real well (it is for slalom).

Today i hopped onto my "old" slalom race bike (that has won plenty of races how it sits) The fork is an inch taller travel wise, same bars, spacer or two under the stem. The bike feels HORRIBLE! I know that most of us came to the conclusion that bar height wasnt really "better" lower, but i cant help but feel so retarded riding the bike. I have to admit most of this is only on the street (a slanted downhill street, so at least the angle is "kinda" correct) My bars feel tall in the corners and it seems to ride like isht.

Sitting next to eachother there is about a 1-2 inch in height, but the banshee feels terrible.

Please help, normally i would just say fack it and ride, but i am realizing that maybe i am not getting all my potential riding the banshee with it being so "bad" in the corners. Do i rise the KS? Do i drop the banshee? Any help is appreciated. On a semi related note, all of my DH bikes also feel stupidly tall (but they are DH bikes, so im putting that off for now)

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
all of my DH bikes also feel stupidly tall (but they are DH bikes, so im putting that off for now)
the banshee wasn't, still isn't, never will be a DS bike, its a short travel freeride bike with geometry that was ment to be different then other bikes to facilitate different uses. I ride my bmx for a week and my 26 feels weird two, thats because they are two different bikes. the geometry and components im sure you can get a similar bar height on the banshee, just take of the 36, put on a fox 32, a syncros riser stem flipped upside down to give negetive rise, and a flat bar, problems fixed. /done

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
the banshee wasn't, still isn't, never will be a DS bike, its a short travel freeride bike with geometry that was ment to be different then other bikes to facilitate different uses. I ride my bmx for a week and my 26 feels weird two, thats because they are two different bikes. the geometry and components im sure you can get a similar bar height on the banshee, just take of the 36, put on a fox 32, a syncros riser stem flipped upside down to give negetive rise, and a flat bar, problems fixed. /done
call me crazy, arent both of them slopestyle bikes? If i recall correctly the banshee is meant for the boneyard, nd the killswitch is black markets version, i PERSONALLY use both for slalom. I got the banshee bcuz the slalom i ride, is VERY choppy and most of the crowd usually brings the DH bikes, im usually the only guy on a small bike. the BM is even smaller. i dont disagree with your point, so im curios as to what you may have to add.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
call me crazy, arent both of them slopestyle bikes? If i recall correctly the banshee is meant for the boneyard, nd the killswitch is black markets version, i PERSONALLY use both for slalom. I got the banshee bcuz the slalom i ride, is VERY choppy and most of the crowd usually brings the DH bikes, im usually the only guy on a small bike. the BM is even smaller. i font disagree with your point, so im curios as to what you may have to add.
I have never ridden the east coast so i dont know what the DS you speak of is actually like, nor the level of competition, i have spent lots of time however out west (obviously) the killswitch is not a slope style bike for the average joe, nor do i believe its a slopestyle bike for the boneyard, its a short travel dirt jumper and due to this it can be raced or rode on a "slopestyle course".

The banshee IS meant for the bone yard, the bone yard is steep, large, and scary. you would **** your pants trying to ride it on a killswitch.

They are not both slopestyle bikes, because slopestyle isnt really real, if you get what im saying. every single event is different, some need a hardtail because its basically just a jump line (AT showdown) some a 4" bike and then the big events (crankworks) need a bigger 5 or 6" bike, mind you this is all rider preference and style.

You have two totally different bikes, a larger difference then an intense 951 to m9 is. so its impossible to expect them to feel the same.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
call me crazy, arent both of them slopestyle bikes? If i recall correctly the banshee is meant for the boneyard, nd the killswitch is black markets version, i PERSONALLY use both for slalom. I got the banshee bcuz the slalom i ride, is VERY choppy and most of the crowd usually brings the DH bikes, im usually the only guy on a small bike. the BM is even smaller. i dont disagree with your point, so im curios as to what you may have to add.
Nope. Some company marketing made people belive that slopestyle rigs are 130-150mm in the rear travel dept. Now look at what most 4x and slope pros ride. Montgomery rides a ht but fogel uses rampart, darren is on a 100mm sx, martin on a 100mm cove, zink on a 100 or 120mm bike, same for that french kid that looks like Andreu(all from Crankworx this year). Wildcard is as much of a slopestyle bike as the bottlerocket is. Its a bikepark playbike. That may be one of the reasons it feels different. The geo and susp on the blackmarket and wildcard WILL feel VERY different.

And for your question - is it really that hard just to try it? Lower the bars on the wildcard, make the bars on the switch higher and see if any of the changes make them better. Duuh ;)

Feb 9, 2010
Slow Cal
I think you need to buy another bike to make up for it. Obviously the bars are wrong on this one. You should buy a transition double, a Corsair Konig, a Kona Bass and a Specialized SX. Ohhhhh, and post them online, A LOT. You could add them to your signature too!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
science answer:

if the bikes have different head angles (which i'd be willing to bet), then each bike is going to have a different amount of trail, which will affect how each bike turns.

having a different a2c (which you do) will also make the difference more pronounced.

science answer:

if the bikes have different head angles (which i'd be willing to bet), then each bike is going to have a different amount of trail, which will affect how each bike turns.

having a different a2c (which you do) will also make the difference more pronounced.

^^^^This plus how much wider are the bars on the killswitch than on the Banshee?

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
^^^^This plus how much wider are the bars on the killswitch than on the Banshee?
Both have sunline bars right now, same width, but higher rise on the banshee.

To the others up top, very good points brought up, never really knew the "slpoestyle" gig, guess the banshee is a freeride play bike (it does make sense). That is probably why i like it, i was only curios if i should go lower or not. I plan to race both of them in DS/Slalom events, KS when its smoother and the banshee on the rough ones. I think ill try to put even lower bars on the banshee and see how it goes. Figured some of you guys could potentially save some time. I didnt want to change the set up, than have it hurt my times.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
that was bought with winnings.
wtf is with the hill at where ever it is you race, i see guys winning all sorts of completes and parts, i cant imagine the level of riding is any different then anywhere else in north america, and perhaps lower then some of the phenom places. i think im moving to NJ for the summer and making a living riding and screwing east coast whores

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
wtf is with the hill at where ever it is you race, i see guys winning all sorts of completes and parts, i cant imagine the level of riding is any different then anywhere else in north america, and perhaps lower then some of the phenom places. i think im moving to NJ for the summer and making a living riding and screwing east coast whores
diablo = no usac = no class enforcement = sandbag central

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Bars and HA make a big difference for sure, the jedi with the Fox and then the boxxer feels a bit different. Its a 1/4" shorter but alot mnore fun to ride with the fox. So it could be HA or as well... Just a thought, I know the blacklabel bars felt alot better than the dirty 30s a bit odd at first now they are great and theres a small rise difference...

Just play around a little, I keep doing it and keep finding things that work a bit better sometimes not so but definently a few items have changed that make riding more fun...

1st one was I put a seat on the bike, now I enjoy riding without the fear of being prison initiated although my cornering has suffered... :eek:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Diablo freeride park, not enough classes, nobody shows up. Great racin' though. Spent a year in Jrs. now in senior. They need a "semi pro" class. I either get murdered in pro (lost all 10 comparing times) or race AM (sport/expert)and do well. Its not so hard to place, only about 3-4 people made it to every race. i missed a race and still got the overall. I didnt even win a single DH (fun fact, the ONLY dh race i won is uso) I do well in slalom though. Its fun racing, great prizes. Racing 100% pays off. with a season pass you can enter both races for 65 (pro is another 10)If you make podium at all, you get great prizes, even 3rd is good. the tracks are love or hate, personally i love them, but its also the place i ride at all the time, so that cant hurt.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
diablo = no usac = no class enforcement = sandbag central
I'm booking my flights NOWAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!

simple plan, work at a gas station, race, win everything i enter in.

Become friends with these guys

tap sweet jersey ass like this

Win a few of these

come back home and brag on the interrweb

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey

Win a few of these

Im assuming your just being an internet tough guy, but incase your not, jersey shore is the WORST representation of jersey ever, that being said, jersey still sucks. If you do come, please take them with you when you leave. Any other things you have to make yourself look cool on the internet?

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
Im assuming your just being an internet tough guy, but incase your not, jersey shore is the WORST representation of jersey ever, that being said, jersey still sucks. If you do come, please take them with you when you leave. Any other things you have to make yourself look cool on the internet?
obviously you have a hard time seeing sarcasm on the internet. or any kind of joke for that matter. :thumb:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Any downsides to lower bars in general? I figure that higher is better for steeper tracks, but lower will get more weight over the front, get you more front tire traction. Feels better? What are the pros/cons to low bars (in general)

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Any downsides to lower bars in general? I figure that higher is better for steeper tracks, but lower will get more weight over the front, get you more front tire traction. Feels better? What are the pros/cons to low bars (in general)
All I know is that on the jedi I really like the front down a smidge (stack height) and lower rise bars... Its alot more fun to ride this way and isnt all over the place twitchy etc... The front is definently loaded more for corners and Im finding on flat non bermed corners as well as not UBER steep stuff it corners alot faster. I think if its really STUPID steep I do prefer the taller fork but the bars just feel better.... Ehhh I think its trial and error god knows how many configurations Ive tried and now Im diggin it.... Always did but playing around has definently allowed me to have more fun riding....

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?

Win a few of these

Hahahaha! You probably should. But I must warn you. Once you win that jamis, it is really hard to get rid of.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

if you have em, try 'em. see what works for you, and what you like/don't like.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
if you have em, try 'em. see what works for you, and what you like/don't like.
unfortunately thats what i will be doing, sucks because swapping bars is such a PITA. First im going to lower the banshee by an inch, see how that feels, if its alright than ill work the KS up an inch, hopefully meet in the middle.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Demo 9, you do a great job of shruggin off theses guys' comments, my butt hurts just reading this!

I have 2 hardtails, The Superco for the skatepark and the STP for the BMX racetrack.

The skatepark vert dictated the barheight for the Superco, which is low, because i'd be punching myself in the face with higher bars. I tried really low, but i couldn't manual anymore and my lower back hurt at the end of the day. The Superco has 24" wheels so i ended up with 2" rise bars. 80mm fork, zero rise stem, 12''BB If it were a 26er i would have 1" rise bars.

I have to go a lil higher, about 1.5", on the racebike just to feel safe jumping a squirelly ass hardtail at high speeds, and sometimes my wannabe whipscrubs go wrong sending me into a 36yearoldguydeadsailor on the track. If i went any higher the bars are all up in my face in the corners. I also find a sweet spot for manualing the rollers. The stp has 26" wheels, i ended up with 2" rise bars and a 20mm spacer. Also the same- 80mm fork, zero rise stem, 12"BB, similar stack height as the Superco too.

Bar height for gatestarts is also really important. When you launch out of the gate and you put your grips to your hips you should be able to have your body aligned (back straight and aimed at the bb) And have your elbows bent just a touch so your hands are, well, right about the height of your balls. If you are hunching your shoulders then the bars are too low. If your hands are at your waist then they are too high, at least in tearms of getting max power out of the gate. If the elbows are just slightly bent then you can pull up with max power. If you back is bent or shoulders are hunched then you could blow out your upper or lower back pulling.

I know in slalom the start isn't as important as BMX or 4x, cornering is. If the hill you race is that steep then consider getting it comfortable, and the time yourself.

In other words, set up the bar height so they feel "right" on the course/track/trail you ride most.

Deity makes the Topsoil bar, 2" rise 29" wide, and light, i think around 300g. That could be great for the bike that the steerer is cut too short.

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
unfortunately thats what i will be doing, sucks because swapping bars is such a PITA. First im going to lower the banshee by an inch, see how that feels, if its alright than ill work the KS up an inch, hopefully meet in the middle.
Seriously. Suspension rebuild is a PITA, changing UST tires on 823s is the same but swapping bars? It's one of the easiest things to do on a bike. I think it's good you ask and think about what you ride but testing it on yourself will teach you more about what works FOR YOU.