Quantcast

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
swapping bars is a massive PITA, levers off, shifter off, grips off (at least that isn't so bad if you use lock ons) and repeat. Can do without

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Demo 9, you do a great job of shruggin off theses guys' comments, my butt hurts just reading this!

I have 2 hardtails, The Superco for the skatepark and the STP for the BMX racetrack.

The skatepark vert dictated the barheight for the Superco, which is low, because i'd be punching myself in the face with higher bars. I tried really low, but i couldn't manual anymore and my lower back hurt at the end of the day. The Superco has 24" wheels so i ended up with 2" rise bars. 80mm fork, zero rise stem, 12''BB If it were a 26er i would have 1" rise bars.

I have to go a lil higher, about 1.5", on the racebike just to feel safe jumping a squirelly ass hardtail at high speeds, and sometimes my wannabe whipscrubs go wrong sending me into a 36yearoldguydeadsailor on the track. If i went any higher the bars are all up in my face in the corners. I also find a sweet spot for manualing the rollers. The stp has 26" wheels, i ended up with 2" rise bars and a 20mm spacer. Also the same- 80mm fork, zero rise stem, 12"BB, similar stack height as the Superco too.

Bar height for gatestarts is also really important. When you launch out of the gate and you put your grips to your hips you should be able to have your body aligned (back straight and aimed at the bb) And have your elbows bent just a touch so your hands are, well, right about the height of your balls. If you are hunching your shoulders then the bars are too low. If your hands are at your waist then they are too high, at least in tearms of getting max power out of the gate. If the elbows are just slightly bent then you can pull up with max power. If you back is bent or shoulders are hunched then you could blow out your upper or lower back pulling.

I know in slalom the start isn't as important as BMX or 4x, cornering is. If the hill you race is that steep then consider getting it comfortable, and the time yourself.

In other words, set up the bar height so they feel "right" on the course/track/trail you ride most.

Deity makes the Topsoil bar, 2" rise 29" wide, and light, i think around 300g. That could be great for the bike that the steerer is cut too short.
good points, the first thing im going to try is to switch the bars on the KS nd banshee. they have the same bar, but different rise. Hopefully that will be correct because it always ends up being a PITA to swap grips/shifters/brakes.

For everybody that seems to have a problem with the money situation, i encourage you to either train, work, or both. I am not spending your money, so i dont see why you have a problem, but since you all must know. (and i know i have said this before-ALOT.) I work and race. In the winter i plow in rich snobby north jersey, usually for 400-800 per snowfall. I have been lucky enough to win the JR series, as well as the senior US open. I DID NOT win the diablo seniors series, in fact in DH i didnt do that well. Ridediablo.com for those who want to check. My parents DO support my riding, however, they DO NOT buy bikes for me. My big gift this year is the privilege to do the GE series this year (and some help with the costs-mainly gas/tires) I get deals on all my parts and (for those that pay attn) My builds reflect the sponsors of diablo(get it, prizes, comprende?) I dont ask you to build/buy 6 bikes, however, i am not on here calling out every purchase from every other member. Instead of calling out somebody for buying too much stuff (which only helps the industry-NOT why i do it)why dont you work, plow, or go to the gym. There may be snow here, and i might not be riding, but im in the gym or on the trainor.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
For everybody that seems to have a problem with the money situation, i encourage you to either train, work, or both. I am not spending your money, so i dont see why you have a problem, but since you all must know. (and i know i have said this before-ALOT.) I work and race. In the winter i plow in rich snobby north jersey, usually for 400-800 per snowfall. I have been lucky enough to win the JR series, as well as the senior US open. I DID NOT win the diablo seniors series, in fact in DH i didnt do that well. Ridediablo.com for those who want to check. My parents DO support my riding, however, they DO NOT buy bikes for me. My big gift this year is the privilege to do the GE series this year (and some help with the costs-mainly gas/tires) I get deals on all my parts and (for those that pay attn) My builds reflect the sponsors of diablo(get it, prizes, comprende?) I dont ask you to build/buy 6 bikes, however, i am not on here calling out every purchase from every other member. Instead of calling out somebody for buying too much stuff (which only helps the industry-NOT why i do it)why dont you work, plow, or go to the gym. There may be snow here, and i might not be riding, but im in the gym or on the trainor.

so you work? you plow snow in the winter? so that's what, MAYBE 6-8 times over a 4-5 month period? what else? try working 40 hours a week year round, and balance that with training, racing, riding, and whatever your family life may be, then report back.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
so you work? you plow snow in the winter? so that's what, MAYBE 6-8 times over a 4-5 month period? what else? try working 40 hours a week year round, and balance that with training, racing, riding, and whatever your family life may be, then report back.
no, i dont have a 40 hour per week job,(that luckily for you your boss doesnt catch you on here:rofl:) i go to school (which isnt all that difficult) I have a small job during the year. But people freak out at the thought of multiple bikes, the proof is right there. I dont have any real living expenses, the money i get i can spend on bikes

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
no, i dont have a 40 hour per week job,(that luckily for you your boss doesnt catch you on here:rofl:) i go to school (which isnt all that difficult) I have a small job during the year. But people freak out at the thought of multiple bikes, the proof is right there. I dont have any real living expenses, the money i get i can spend on bikes
my boss has "caught" me on here, he doesn't care, because I know how to manage my responsibilities and meet my deadlines (or have stuff done in advance), and he knows it.

i have multiple bikes too. maybe even more than you. are they all top of the line? hell no. but they are all solid, and run, and i have a lot of fun riding them.

people don't freak out at others having multiple bikes, lots of us here do. the reason YOU catch flak from everyone here is that you've got 3-4 FULLY pimped out, top of the line bikes, shamelessly flaunt them, then b*tch and moan when something about your setup isn't perfect, all the while not supporting yourself. most of the rest of us are damn happy to have nice bikes (even if they aren't perfect, decked out, or top of the line) and be able to afford to ride them while supporting ourselves and making ends meet. enjoy being supported by your parents while you can, because when the other shoe drops, its gonna be quite the wake up call.

Last edited:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Is there anything bad about having low bars slalom related, I figure i can drop them a good amount, but is there any downside to that, obviously too much of anything is bad, but is slamming bars to get lower over the front in berms have any negative aspects?

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
I was gone drinking for a few hours, so its time for me to catch up

Based on the pics theres going to be other stuff harder to get rid of...:rofl:
as long as it isnt herpes or aids, the rest is fixed by a little penicillin right?

For everybody that seems to have a problem with the money situation, i encourage you to either train, work, or both ... I dont ask you to build/buy 6 bikes, however, i am not on here calling out every purchase from every other member ... Instead of calling out somebody for buying too much stuff
The "money" situation is/was never something i had a problem with, Since i can remember threads of yours, you have come on asking for opinions and help on stuff, example, should you buy the banshee for DS racing, should you buy the Killswitch for DS racing, both times, i used my experiences to tell you why these are the wrong bikes to own for what you explained, to this day i believe this to be true.

Sometimes, people are trying to tell you things and you come off as if you know better then people who have actually used the products, seems like your mind is already made up, so why make a thread?

Your right it is your money, and good to you, but dont get defensive when someone gives you advice. **** even though bullcrew is far more respected than me on here i remember when he was posting pics of new stuff he got daily, and he took heat for it too LOTS OF IT, now he is awsome. This is probably the most knowledgeable biking forum our there, take some the advice sometimes, just because its a "good deal" doesnt mean you should buy it. i'll continue to give my input when i see it to be valid

I think the one on the right rides with lower bars!
She can ride my lower bar if you get what im saying :p

Is there anything bad about having low bars slalom related, I figure i can drop them a good amount, but is there any downside to that, obviously too much of anything is bad, but is slamming bars to get lower over the front in berms have any negative aspects?
with more weight over the front, the back seems lighter and less controlled, you may find that the rear end will wash out and is alot less predictable, you may also find that while jumping you get pitched forward more often, rather then pushing the bars down to level out into a tanny, its just, different, you are over thinking this and analysing it as if it were factual or mathamatic, it isnt its purely personal prefrence, so try different things out. its the only way to know

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Boy this is literally the most complete package thread of 2011 so far, we got bar questions, fat chicks, the jersey boys, racing laughs, some chick that looks like a dude, stds, antibiotics and now bike pictures.... Its getting good, its a off shot of the marzocchi damped by cats thread... Life is indeed good...

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
tetreaults stuff
Just so you know, and take it for what it is, i have been very happy with the banshee for slalom, its a little "bigger" than the average slalom bike. The KS hasnt been ridden for slalom yet, but i have taken it to the trails, nd i love it, even if i never use it for racing, its a hell of a bike, and i would recommend it to anybody. Hardtail with a little squish, its very unique. As im sure you know, i just try to get bikes that can help pay for themselves and serve a second purpose, i may buy to many bikes, but at least i buy them economically

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Boy this is literally the most complete package thread of 2011 so far, we got bar questions, fat chicks, the jersey boys, racing laughs, some chick that looks like a dude, stds, antibiotics and now bike pictures.... Its getting good, its a off shot of the marzocchi damped by cats thread... Life is indeed good...
this trainwreck should end up in the best of RM thread, sad how it started as a bar height question, but funny how it ended up

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
KS feels good with another inch of rise, time to deal with the banshee
at the risk of being way too serious in the train wreck of awesome that is this thread, I'll bet your wild card feels worse at cornering on flat ground than your killswitch because of a way more slack head angle.

If I was to rock a wildcard for DS, I'd rock it in its shortest travel setting and lower my fork to 140 or 130 mm.

I could be wrong, but the pic you posted up of your wildcard looks like you've got your fork at 160mm.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
at the risk of being way too serious in the train wreck of awesome that is this thread, I'll bet your wild card feels worse at cornering on flat ground than your killswitch because of a way more slack head angle.

If I was to rock a wildcard for DS, I'd rock it in its shortest travel setting and lower my fork to 140 or 130 mm.

I could be wrong, but the pic you posted up of your wildcard looks like you've got your fork at 160mm.
I run both the bike and the fork at 5 inches. I have to cop with a headset issue that kinda screws me up. The fork knobs are too tall for a zerostack headset, so i have to ride the normal external 1. Its only 20mm but its still something. The banshee has a 36 talas at 5 inches. 130mm. 20mm of headset, the head tube, flush on the top with 1 5mm spacer, stem, 1 inch riser bars now (had 2) Last year it felt good, but i didnt have anything to compare it to except for a DH bike which is of course slacker and taller, so it felt very slalom like. I do have the option to run the fork down to 4 inches, but im trying to avoid that, as the slalom is very choppy here. I have the KS for the tight "hardtail" slalom courses, and the idea is to have this for the bigger less groomed ones. Again, it was "fine" last year, but fine to me was defined as better than the DH bike, so the logic isnt the best.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
the large size kill switch must have a super long reach and a short stack, everyone i see looks like the bars are so low considering the reach, i would perhaps get the measurments from your two bikes in this area to compare.

long and low

similar to this real classic modern, mid-century or contemporary piece, that would look good in my living room with me and frank on it

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
might work if it was their money, that was bought with winnings. You could thank memmelar for your deal though :thumb:
Or I could thank myself and the rest of my team mates for working hard and putting a really awesome team together.

Just for your info, I've won/been on more podiums then you have been to races. In fact I am a previous National Champion too, hell it was for cat 2 but I still won. I don't just race at Diablo, I actually race other venues. Even race on the west coast.

And you might want to thank your parents for buying you a $43,000 dollar truck, while I bought my brand new truck for $35,000 dollars at the age of 20 and have $2,800 left in my payments.

Just trying to give you life lessons over the computer, don't mean to give you such a hard time. Sometimes theres more to life then buying bicycles that is all. See you in the spring.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Sometimes theres more to life then buying bicycles that is all. See you in the spring.
Like a riced out titan? ;)

If all goes well i will be seeing you alot more, plans are to race all of GE should i not kill myself before the last 1.

Last edited:

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
Like a riced out titan? ;)

If all goes well i will be seeing you alot more, plans are to race all of GE should i not kill myself before the last 1.
riced out as in lowered and a fart can? its murdered out, not riced out. i think it looks pretty darn good if you ask me... same with your tundra.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
riced out as in lowered and a fart can? its murdered out, not riced out. i think it looks pretty darn good if you ask me... same with your tundra.
But he forgot the door handles :rofl: I have no problem with the look, its just not finished.

& wait until you hear the tundra, its a little louder :thumb: