Quantcast

My Bike is Ridable!

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
...and NO THANKS to the LBS for making it happen.

I was supposed to pick up my wheel from the LBS today, went by, like they told me to YESTERDAY and of course, they hadnt even STARTED working on it. ****ing great. I have a ride planned this weekend, and no wheel.

Wait, I have a wheel. I have the crappy stock rear wheel with a hillrod rim and generic disc rear hub that came on my HaroX2 when I bought it new. While at the LBS I took the cassette off my wheel, and brought it home. I pulled the crap wheel out of my attic, pulled apart the hub, cleaned it out, regreased it, installed the casetted and put it on my bike.

Well, the thing rocked back and forth pretty good, but once i redid everything, it still has a rock to it, but its not like the races are pitted out, but whatever. It spins fine, and im riding it anyway.

45mile group ride at Big South Fork on Sunday WOOT!

Ive never ridden that far.:help:

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
gnurider1080 said:
sounds fun. hopefully your rear wheel will hold up.
yes. Im a bit nervous about that...but what's the worst that could happen? The forest service has to come get me with a rescue chopper? Big deal. Like that's never happened before:rofl:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
What bike shop do you use, not that I remember any from when I lived in Nashville/Franklin?

Sounds like you need to switch.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
stevew said:
What bike shop do you use, not that I remember any from when I lived in Nashville/Franklin?

Sounds like you need to switch.
I dont "use" any of them if I can avoid it. This is the 2nd shop NOT to fix my wheel in as many tries. Cumberland Transit is the name of the shop, and they are good guys, but well, I dont like being misled but hey, maybe they're used to getting away with it.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
BurlyShirley said:
I dont "use" any of them if I can avoid it. This is the 2nd shop NOT to fix my wheel in as many tries. Cumberland Transit is the name of the shop, and they are good guys, but well, I dont like being misled but hey, maybe they're used to getting away with it.

This is why you should learn to fix it yourself.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
chicodude said:
This is why you should learn to fix it yourself.
I CAN fix it myself, but I dont have the experience or the money to have the experience at building wheels WELL. I have ONE bike that I like to ride, not fool around building and unbuilding wheels for. Keep your smartass comments in your ass please.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
BurlyShirley said:
I CAN fix it myself, but I dont have the experience or the money to have the experience at building wheels WELL. I have ONE bike that I like to ride, not fool around building and unbuilding wheels for. Keep your smartass comments in your ass please.

Not trying to come off as a smartass at all. Just saying, its a good thing to know how to do...

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
chicodude said:
Not trying to come off as a smartass at all. Just saying, its a good thing to know how to do...
My apologies then. Im in a bit of a mood, and must've read it wrong.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
BurlyShirley said:
Well let's see HMMMMMMMMMMMM which chapter tells me how to order an axle directly from specialized's warranty dept? Huh? Oh well, I guess that book is no ****ing help. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
You + sand + your vagina = me not giving you any more advise or encouragement.

:)

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
H8R said:
You + sand + your vagina = me not giving you any more advise or encouragement.

:)
Thank you. As I didnt ask for either advice OR encouragement, that will be fine.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
BurlyShirley said:
Thank you. As I didnt ask for either advice OR encouragement, that will be fine.
You did mention that you did not have the money to learn how to build a wheel. It doesn't take any money, just an old wheel, a spoke wrench, several drops of oil, and some patience.

Hmm.... I think you lack at least one of those things.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
H8R said:
You did mention that you did not have the money to learn how to build a wheel. It doesn't take any money, just an old wheel, a spoke wrench, several drops of oil, and some patience.

Hmm.... I think you lack at least one of those things.
oil drops?

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
I lost the cup to the front wheel that came on my haro (same generic disc hub and hillrod rim). Tell me how the rear hillrod holds up . . . I am trying to decide wether I should buy a new wheelset or just get a new front wheel.

lux

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Wilmington, NC
BurlyShirley said:
Richy Richy Rich...
Nah, not when I lived there -- in 1973. It was the friggen' sticks. Little brick school house on a country road right across the street from the WSM tower.

I was in Nashville seven or eight years ago and drove through Brentwood -- holy crap that place has moved uptown

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
45 miles is pretty hefty even if the trails are easy and the hills are not steep. Good luck with that, get skinny light tires.....

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Skookum said:
45 miles is pretty hefty even if the trails are easy and the hills are not steep. Good luck with that, get skinny light tires.....
I have 2.35 nevegals. That's what Im riding :)

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
BurlyShirley said:
I have 2.35 nevegals. That's what Im riding :)
Hmm i'm running those too. Helluva grippy tire, i got the soft ones, diggin em. It's true they don't drag that much, but still they is not a good tire for a 45 miler man.... you're gonna need :help:

i'd like to try the 2.1 since they run in true size vs. tires like Maxxis that run smaller.